Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 12:52 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
OP, get out now, while you can. It sounds as if you are hard working, driven and responsible. Her, not so much. That, as much as the money itself, is a real compatibility red light.
Lol, if anything, she's the one that should get out.

OP is being abusive and controlling. She's essentially trying to change her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 01:05 PM

645 posts, read 835,495 times
No douche... but wise!

Old 09-16-2015, 01:11 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Theres no "equality" in marriage. Its never 50/50. Two people never make the same amount..well, very rarely. A marriage joins 2 people together so everything is "ours". If you arent' prepared to do that, then you certainly don't need to get married. You already feel that if she isnt making as much money as you, then she isnt "equal" to you.

Good luck with finding someone who makes as much or more than you. Hopefully they will think you arent "equal" to them, and dump you.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:18 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post

Yes.

It's quite alarming how many in this thread cannot see this.

I can understand having reservations about inequality in income. I can even understand the reservation about her mental state.

But the yelling and haranguing her to change? NO. Not acceptable.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:18 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post

OP never says he is ordering her to do anything. His GF has a serious self esteem issues and getting a better job would help her overcome this. I have met many women like this - hell, I used to hire them - college grads doing administrative work because they never tired for anything better.

Encouraging someone who is down on themselves to live up to their potential rather than under-performing or constantly seeking jobs that are beneath their educational lever is ENCOURAGEMENT NOT CONTROL - learn the difference.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:19 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
OP never says he is ordering her to do anything. His GF has a serious self esteem issues and getting a better job would help her overcome this. I have met many women like this - hell, I used to hire them - college grads doing administrative work because they never tired for anything better.

Encouraging someone who is down on themselves to live up to their potential rather than under-performing or constantly seeking jobs that are beneath their educational lever is ENCOURAGEMENT NOT CONTROL - learn the difference.

No....

The OP admitted to yelling at his gf. That is not acceptable.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:23 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:

Yeah, and raising their voice is a great way to "encourage" someone to excel.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:25 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,399,799 times
I can't believe she isn't psyched to turn over a new leaf as a customer service rep.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:26 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:

Guess what? If she's content doing what she's doing, then that's all that should matter.

The OP should move on if he doesn't like it. And he isn't just "encouraging her."

Old 09-16-2015, 01:29 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Hey guys now, before I sound like a total prick, I am going to be honest and say yes, it does bother me that she only makes 11 an hour.
She needs to find someone else that cares about her, not about how much money she makes. It ain't you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships