Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 12:46 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
It's not an uncommon way of thinking.

It isn't common, certainly (I can't recall ever hear of anyone speaking of it) and it certainly would prevent someone from being a "good" person. Good people aren't bigoted/racist/prejudiced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 12:49 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
In reality, my town has a population of 2700 and 98% are white. Odds are in my favor on the race preference anyway.
This is a big part of your problem right here. A town that size is not going to have a large selection to chose from. And the "good" ones you are looking for probably married their HS or college sweethearts.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:50 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It isn't common, certainly (I can't recall ever hear of anyone speaking of it) and it certainly would prevent someone from being a "good" person. Good people aren't bigoted/racist/prejudiced.
Just because they didn't explicitly say it to you doesn't mean they don't feel that way. Lots of ethnic groups prefer to stick to their own and wouldn't be too interested in having a relationship with someone who hasn't done so.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:50 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Why? Because it won't work. Any half decent guy (who happens to be white) who sees a person saying "only white need apply" is going to high tail it out of there.

I mean, don't get me wrong, her putting her preferences out there is great for the guys. They'd know to keep away. But it wouldn't work to her advantage.
I tend to agree.

I'm a white guy and if I saw an ad where the stated preference was white, that's fine, we all have our preferences.

But to see it written "only whites need to apply" just has a nasty subversive tone to it and I would wonder if she's some kind of stromfront white supremacist type.....

Old 09-18-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Just because they didn't explicitly say it to you doesn't mean they don't feel that way. Lots of ethnic groups prefer to stick to their own and wouldn't be too interested in having a relationship with someone who hasn't done so.

Said or not, these are NOT "good" people. They're racist/bigoted/prejudiced people.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:55 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Dating within race is extremely common. I might date someone of another race but they would have to fall under my country boy preference to even have me notice them. And with the area being 98% white...I should be able to stick to my race.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:58 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
This is a big part of your problem right here. A town that size is not going to have a large selection to chose from. And the "good" ones you are looking for probably married their HS or college sweethearts.
I will date in surrounding towns also. The race statistics are about the same in surrounding towns also. Many guys went away to college, military and never returned. I have never left my hometown. I have met men from other states, had them move here, but those relationships did not end well either.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:58 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Said or not, these are NOT "good" people. They're racist/bigoted/prejudiced people.
Wanting to only date within your group and wanting to date others who share that sentiment does not make someone a bad or bigoted person, in my opinion.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:00 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Dating within ones race is very common, no one is arguing that per se.

I don't think that there is anything inherently "evil" in preferring to stay within ones own racial group, it's when people disparage other groups of people as being inferior to date that's when we have a problem.

There is a poster here that has openly stated her preference of black men, and she's black. No one is really getting on her about that.

That same courtesy should apply if a white person prefers to date white people.

I think sometimes we've gone off of the PC deep end at times.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Dating within race is extremely common. I might date someone of another race but they would have to fall under my country boy preference to even have me notice them. And with the area being 98% white...I should be able to stick to my race.

And we weren't discussing that.

We were discussing so called "good" people who wouldn't date someone who has dated someone of another race.

In other words, a person calling someone a "good" person who is a blatant bigot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Dating within ones race is very common, no one is arguing that per se.

I don't think that there is anything inherently "evil" in preferring to stay within ones own racial group, it's when people disparage other groups of people as being inferior to date that's when we have a problem.

There is a poster here that has openly stated her preference of black men, and she's black. No one is really getting on her about that.

That same courtesy should apply if a white person prefers to date white people.

I think sometimes we've gone off of the PC deep end at times.
I don't think we're too PC, but that said, if I refused to date a white chick because she has dated a black guy (which really what we were talking about), there is no way on this green earth that I could be called a "good" guy. I would be a disgusting bigot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships