Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 01:18 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I just see it as an issue of wanting to be with someone who shares your values and beliefs. It doesn't mean you have hatred/intolerance towards other groups just because you prefer not to date outside of your own.

You are being (hopefully) deliberately obtuse. There is a difference between wanting to date white men and refusing to date someone who has dated someone from another race. Timberline was referencing the latter. I believe he said that several times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 01:19 PM

957 posts, read 1,060,282 times
Quote:
I just see it as an issue of wanting to be with someone who shares your values and beliefs. It doesn't mean you have hatred/intolerance towards other groups just because you prefer not to date outside of your own.
You guys are talking about different things.

He's saying if a guy found out the woman he's currently dating/pursing used to date a man that was Mexican or Black in the past, he'll quit seeing her since he thinks that interracial dating is morally incorrect.

He may be a good person in most areas, but he's definitely a bigot.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:19 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And since we weren't talking about that, it's rather irrelevant.

We're not talking about dating outside our race (of course we're one species, Homo sapiens sapiens, there isn't enough genetic differentiation in our species to have geographic races), we're talking about dating someone who has dated outside "your own". That is absolutely intolerance of other groups. It can only mean you view that other person has having sullied the person you're interested in dating. It is bigotry at its core.
No, it means that you want someone who shares your values. If it's ok to not want to date outside of your race, why is it not ok to only want to date others who share that sentiment?

Old 09-18-2015, 01:21 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And we weren't discussing that.

We were discussing so called "good" people who wouldn't date someone who has dated someone of another race.

In other words, a person calling someone a "good" person who is a blatant bigot.

I don't think we're too PC, but that said, if I refused to date a white chick because she has dated a black guy (which really what we were talking about), there is no way on this green earth that I could be called a "good" guy. I would be a disgusting bigot.
I get what you're saying, I'm not sure if others are.

I would definitely feel uneasy about dating a white woman and if I had dated black women in the past and she "kicked me to the curb" because of that, yeah, I find that off putting as that is being ignorant.

Not really any other way to spin it.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:23 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
No, it means that you want someone who shares your values. If it's ok to not want to date outside of your race, why is it not ok to only want to date others who share that sentiment?

Doe what you will. If you reject someone because they have dated outside their race, that is acting in a bigoted manner. You're saying that person was devalued by dating outside their race.

There is no way that person can be considered "good". They're a bigot and racist.

The values you're trying to share here aren't positive ones or good ones.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:24 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
So if we just drop all pretenses here and just lay it out.

You're a black woman from what I can remember.

If you started to date a black dude and you found out he was with white women in the past.

Would you drop him????

That's the real question here.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
You are being (hopefully) deliberately obtuse. There is a difference between wanting to date white men and refusing to date someone who has dated someone from another race. Timberline was referencing the latter. I believe he said that several times.
I don't see anything wrong with refusing to date someone who doesn't share a belief that's important to you. People do that all the time.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:25 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I get what you're saying, I'm not sure if others are.

I would definitely feel uneasy about dating a white woman and if I had dated black women in the past and she "kicked me to the curb" because of that, yeah, I find that off putting as that is being ignorant.

Not really any other way to spin it.

Nope. There isn't.

SLS, has the right to her opinion, I just can't consider any guy who thinks like this as a "good" guy. They're bigots.

Quote:
I doubt it. There are many white men out there who would love to hear that her vagina only accepts whites.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:26 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
This thread has taken a weird turn.

A racist is someone who feels that someone of a particular race are inferior solely because of said race. No other reason. How can someone who makes a snap judgment about an entire group of people be considered a person of good character? I could not date someone who was racist. I would not consider a racist relative a good person.

Seriously, someone straight out said that they were racist and you continued to date her??? She's a nice person otherwise...
every single one of you on this board does relatively "bad" things for your own reasons or reasons you would justify as doing so rightfully.

Does that automatically make you "good" people despite your personal flaws?

By definition alone, no.

To bring it full circle to the thread topic and why the OP seems to be having trouble finding "good" people....perhaps she needs to define what "good" actually means for her and if her lifestyle and character is actually indicative of what she wants to attract.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
So if we just drop all pretenses here and just lay it out.

You're a black woman from what I can remember.

If you started to date a black dude and you found out he was with white women in the past.

Would you drop him????

That's the real question here.
I would assume that he had already been with white women or wanted to be, so it's a moot point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships