Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 11:52 AM

405 posts, read 325,154 times

Advertisements

Basically what I'm asking is which word is the best compliment a woman could give you. For instance women usually say the words cute, handsome, sexy, hot etc. when they find a guy attractive. But which word is usually the one where they find you really attractive compared to the others, or does it vary by woman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 11:58 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
[quote=Jersey4Life;41248441]Basically what I'm asking is which word is the best compliment a woman could give you. For instance women usually say the words cute, handsome, sexy, hot etc. when they find a guy attractive. But which word is usually the one where they find you really attractive compared to the others, or does it vary by woman?[/quote]

Of course it does. Like everything, it varies from person to person.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:01 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,401 times
I'd say it varies not only by person but there is probably a regional influence as well as strong age influence (80-year-old woman might say "handsome" vs. a 30-year-old who might say "hot").

Old 09-18-2015, 12:04 PM

474 posts, read 384,538 times
They don't.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Depends on the woman! For me, these are my definitions. And I will fully admit these are pretty subjective. I'll use them in context.

Attractive: used generically for me. It means I actually have not formed an opinion on him, but his looks could be appealing.
Hot: Has sex appeal. Either has a very attractive face or physique. I wouldn't kick him out of bed, but I don't have an opinion on him as an actual partner.
Handsome: I can't make that word come out of my mouth. I don't have a use case. If I am writing, I might be able to use it. It is something akin to conventionally attractive or distinguished.
Pretty: someone one with "pretty boy" features. Well-manicured, glowing skin, perfectly coiffed hair.
Sexy: has sex appeal, doesn't mean I want anything to do with him
Cute: I find him attractive and he is my type. But I don't know enough about him to be interested.
[Adjective*] cute: I find him attractive and I am attracted. I want to know him more, and probably am smitten or have a crush. Someone I'd picture myself with.

*really, super, very are the ones I'd use the most.

For me, as an attribute of my type is generally "cute." Cute is the highest order of attractiveness for me....as it designates fit. Someone I have designated as cute can also be hot if he has "sex appeal." But being "hot" alone isn't enough for me to be actually interested.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:10 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
This 36 year old woman, right here, when I truly mean it and I'm really admiring a man's appearance, I'll call him beautiful. Of course I'm much more apt to say such things to a naked man, and under some rather specific circumstances.

I also call them sexy, but usually not cute or hot. Hot always makes me think of Paris Hilton a little. "That's hot." Ew. And my idea of male attractiveness isn't really cute. That's the word I use for fluffy little animals, not men.

Handsome always makes me think of something a Grandmother would say to a little boy dressed up for a special occasion.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:10 PM

277 posts, read 271,472 times
I know guys find it lame, but when a girl tells you you're cute/sexy, you SHOULD blush. She actually has filtered/processed you in her mind, and you passed (she certainly doesn't think of you as of a child; she just doesn't want to come across as too "aggressive" by using a stronger adjective for you). If the girl is on the shy side, she may not say more than that, especially if she doesn't know you well.

And most girls/women won't even say that. How do you know she enjoys your presence at least to some extent? She doesn't push you away/reject you/avoid you when you show her attention. She may not want you as a BF necessarily, but if she's responding in a friendly (not go-away) manner, you intrigued her at least in some way.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:12 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I tend to use the following:

Sponge-worthy
Smokin' hot
Visual orgasm

... or just when mere words are inadequate. Although that's a rare event.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:14 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beweirdess View Post
I know guys find it lame, but when a girl tells you you're cute/sexy, you SHOULD blush. She actually has filtered/processed you in her mind, and you passed (she certainly doesn't think of you as of a child; she just doesn't want to come across as too "aggressive" by using a stronger adjective for you). If the girl is on the shy side, she may not say more than that, especially if she doesn't know you well.

And most girls/women won't even say that. How do you know she enjoys your presence at least to some extent? She doesn't push you away/reject you/avoid you when you show her attention. She may not want you as a BF necessarily, but if she's responding in a friendly (not go-away) manner, you intrigued her at least in some way.
True. And the adjectives I mentioned that I would not use, like "cute"...means I just wouldn't use them at all, not that I'd use them in an insulting way.

If I find a man attractive and we are not yet a thing, my eyes are what's doing the talking. I'll be checking him out, and I'll let him catch me doing it. If he makes eye contact, I'll look away, but I'll have a little smile on my face when I do.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:21 PM

277 posts, read 271,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
If I find a man attractive and we are not yet a thing, my eyes are what's doing the talking. I'll be checking him out, and I'll let him catch me doing it. If he makes eye contact, I'll look away, but I'll have a little smile on my face when I do.
BINGO! there was this one guy at work that i kept wanting to stare at, but then kept trying to control my impulses; i heard that here in the US you can get in trouble for harassment if you stare at someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships