Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 05:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

they are not boring they are depressed.
if you woke up one morning and realized you had sold your 14th amendment birthright, for a bowl of porridge, you would be depressed too.
do you realize that by marriage another human being can assign you debt without your consent and against your will?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 12:45 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,142,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollandnim View Post
I hope I don't get hate for this one...but this is based off of my personal experience. I've found that the people I know who've gotten married (who weren't completely in love!) seem to be rather dull people who didn't have very many friends and would rather partner up with someone and spend all their time with them.

Of course I don't mean those who married for love, but it seems many marry almost because it's comfortable and they figure why not. Those couples get married and never really have friends outside their marriage or do fun, spontaneous stuff with others or even together. It's just blah, boring, and them posting pics of themselves on social media. Like them partnering up with someone was an excuse out of the real world of interacting with other people.

I don't mean to offend anyone at all and I know there are people who marry for love still (lol) and exciting couples but this is the majority I know. Most single people I know aren't necessarily wild and crazy but definitely have more of a lust for life and are interested in experiencing it....and feel it's worth waiting for that one to come around to enjoy life with...not just subscribe to a comfortable "partnership" like many others.
This is my suspicion. Dull people seek comfort and stability and settle down ASAP out of fear.

For those who glided past it.... I am referring to personality, not "wild" lifestyles or people constantly doing activities. There is no single way to be interesting, as that would be sort of contradictory. I certainly know fascinating, introverted types who are not sky-diving or bungee jumping, but who interesting minds.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:40 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
they are not boring they are depressed.
if you woke up one morning and realized you had sold your 14th amendment birthright, for a bowl of porridge, you would be depressed too.
do you realize that by marriage another human being can assign you debt without your consent and against your will?
This made me laugh. I was going to say they aren't boring, they are neutered.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:28 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
This is my suspicion. Dull people seek comfort and stability and settle down ASAP out of fear.

For those who glided past it.... I am referring to personality, not "wild" lifestyles or people constantly doing activities. There is no single way to be interesting, as that would be sort of contradictory. I certainly know fascinating, introverted types who are not sky-diving or bungee jumping, but who interesting minds.
Exactly.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:02 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
Let me guess the OP is not married and therefore exciting and scintillating. Boring looks different to different people. As a married person, I guess I am kind of excited about boring. Nights walking on the beach with a glass of wine just talking to my husband. After being single all my life and pretty active socially, marriage is heaven. Knowing that we get to spend all our time together getting to know each other better makes me feel blessed. We both have stressful jobs so relaxing on the pier is calming.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:49 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Some are boring and some have fabulous lives.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Some are boring and some have fabulous lives.
Just like single people. Playing video games and drinking beer with your buddies every weekend sounds boring to me, but some people might love it.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:39 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post

For those who glided past it, I'm referring to personality...
Personality remains generally static over the course of a lifetime, barring conditions such as traumatic brain injury that damage portions of the brain that are responsible for expression of personality (Gazzaniga, Heatherton, and Halpern, 2013). A life choice such as marriage does not alter personality, which is set at a very young age.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:36 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,527 times
Being married sucks the fun, joy, excitement out of life
It is replaced with tedium, mundane, repetition, and responsibilities

IImpulsiveness...spontanious.
.thrill...no place for these behind that white picket fence

Old 09-20-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
Being married sucks the fun, joy, excitement out of life
It is replaced with tedium, mundane, repetition, and responsibilities

IImpulsiveness...spontanious.
.thrill...no place for these behind that white picket fence
Are you married? Just wondering. We travel, deep sea fish, dive, and chill. Also, we have no picket fences...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships