Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2015, 12:03 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
Being married sucks the fun, joy, excitement out of life
It is replaced with tedium, mundane, repetition, and responsibilities
I'm single, and I spent the past day and a half cleaning and doing yard work, grocery shopping and prepping meals for next week, most of which will have to be done again next weekend. Apparently I'm living wrong if other single people don't have these kind of tedious mundane repetitive responsibilities.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-20-2015 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 12:29 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
This is my suspicion. Dull people seek comfort and stability and settle down ASAP out of fear.

For those who glided past it.... I am referring to personality, not "wild" lifestyles or people constantly doing activities. There is no single way to be interesting, as that would be sort of contradictory. I certainly know fascinating, introverted types who are not sky-diving or bungee jumping, but who interesting minds.
Well, if that's the case... we have no issues there. We're not filling our weekends with bear wrestling, doing hot yoga, going spelunking, but we do have fun hanging out together, enjoying each other's company and talking. But I also think we're cool, interesting people, and we fancy each other's mind. We spent hours last night talking about politics, religious ideologies, cognitive biases, logical fallacies, our upbringing/background, our goals as parents, and what we want for our kids. Finally fell asleep at 2am.

We're both introverted, but have a lot to say about a lot of different things when the mood strikes. It's great when we get to have engaging and intellectual discussions and bounce ideas off one another. And other times our talks aren't as serious, but still fun and engaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Just like single people. Playing video games and drinking beer with your buddies every weekend sounds boring to me, but some people might love it.
We play video games on occasion, and love it. He doesn't drink, so that means it's just me enjoying the occasional glass of wine (not a big drinker myself).

Old 09-20-2015, 12:36 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Well, if that's the case... we have no issues there. We're not filling our weekends with bear wrestling, doing hot yoga, going spelunking, but we do have fun hanging out together, enjoying each other's company and talking. But I also think we're cool, interesting people, and we fancy each other's mind. We spent hours last night talking about politics, religious ideologies, cognitive biases, logical fallacies, our upbringing/background, our goals as parents, and what we want for our kids. Finally fell asleep at 2am.

We're both introverted, but have a lot to say about a lot of different things when the mood strikes. It's great when we get to have engaging and intellectual discussions and bounce ideas off one another. And other times our talks aren't as serious, but still fun and engaging.

We play video games on occasion, and love it. He doesn't drink, so that means it's just me enjoying the occasional glass of wine (not a big drinker myself).
The key is "on occasion". It is not what you do every free minute...lol. We play too "on occasion". I personally love NCAA Football.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Lol, we don't have a picket fence, either. We do travel all over, though. We did stay at a B&B in Scotland that had a white picket fence, on one of our trips! Does that count?

Old 09-20-2015, 01:26 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Lol, we don't have a picket fence, either. We do travel all over, though. We did stay at a B&B in Scotland that had a white picket fence, on one of our trips! Does that count?
Bwhaha. I think it counts. Our place is on the beach, and some might find that boring since it can lull you to sleep with the sound of the waves.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:29 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
You can go ahead and question the premise or chalk this up to snark (but please do spare me the "but I'm married and totally not boring!")....

When I think of the coolest, most interesting people I know, none are partnered up nor have any prospect in signt.

Most of the marrieds I know, including the very happy ones, are incredibly dull and ordinary, however inoffensively "pleasant".

So which came first - the marriage or the boring?

Are unique, fascinating, passionate types possibly not cut out for long-term coupling?
Gonna need examples.

Bc I know boring single people and crazy cool exciting married people.

So what are you defining as boring?

My married friends deep sea dive, fly planes, race cars, climb the Himalayas, etc. I have single friends who sit at home and watch TV and stuff their face. I have married friends who don't read and single friends who haven't touched a book since high school.

Most single people I know at this point are the most boring bc all they can think of to entertain themselves is go out drinking. Which I gotta tell you is freaking stupid and boring as hell.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:34 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
This is my suspicion. Dull people seek comfort and stability and settle down ASAP out of fear.

For those who glided past it.... I am referring to personality, not "wild" lifestyles or people constantly doing activities. There is no single way to be interesting, as that would be sort of contradictory. I certainly know fascinating, introverted types who are not sky-diving or bungee jumping, but who interesting minds.
I think that since MOST PEOPLE are dumb, dull, and boring and MOST people are partnered off and married, you probably are seeing this as meaning something it doesn't.

Bc of my background and education, I hang out with worldly, well-read, well-traveled, well-educated people for the most part (can't help but hang out with ordinary people at work, so I do see both sides), and married or not, they tend to be interesting people with well-thought-out ideas.

Don't make a connection that isn't there.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:15 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Are you married? Just wondering. We travel, deep sea fish, dive, and chill. Also, we have no picket fences...lol.
do you guys have children?

Old 09-21-2015, 10:31 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times
My sister and her husband are one of the more interesting couples I know going out doing different things. Although, they don't have children so no responsibility of having to find a babysitter.

My parents on the other hand are one of those dull, boring couples. Their idea of fun is being homebodies rarely doing things with other people that isn't family.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:38 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
Marriage probably made me boring. This weekend was super-boring. I had an art show and had to chat with a hundred people. Then people actually bought my artwork, so I had to accept money for that. So boring. I had sex with my boring husband, went shopping for boring books and dull art supplies, and yawned the whole time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships