Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 07:53 AM

30 posts, read 22,521 times

Advertisements

I knew a married couple years ago, and the wife used to smack her husband around and everybody in our street would laugh and call him henpecked. But then one day he had enough and gave her a huge slap, and all of a sudden he became a monster in the eyes of everybody who found out, which is, well, everybody in our street.

Why is domestic violence (or violence in general) against women by men considered worse than violence against men by women?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 07:57 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
duh! because men are much stronger physically (in general)?

Old 09-19-2015, 08:03 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Well, traditionally (and factually) men as a whole are stronger than women so can do more damage. Of course the equation changes when you bring weapons into the picture - but the old tv shows usually show it as comedy - slapping or at worst using a frying pan - so it's all just for laughs. Of course traditionally, a man is supposed to have control of his woman and using force is okay.

If you are getting "beat on" by your woman then obviously you DON"T have control of your woman so that reflects badly on you. The only way to mitigate this is to assume that whatever she's doing to you is so minor as to not even matter - so as a male you're encouraged to minimize any damage done otherwise as a guy you obviously "can't take it" or are a whining wimp which is doubly bad.

This is only the general cultural tradition - it's NOT right to use physical means to overpower or intimidate - whether male-male, male-female, female-male, or female-female. As society progresses further into the concepts of human rights and away from "might makes right" this will improve - these things tend to happen over decades and generations though.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:07 AM

30 posts, read 22,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
"protected" and kept as second-class citizens who are weak and ineffectual.
Needing protection doesn't equate to weakness or being a second class citizen. That doesn't even make sense. Women do need protection by men. Women have a certain amount of strength but men are stronger, so when there's danger, it's men who protect women.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:08 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
There's a lengthy history of wife/girlfriend-abuse and male dominance in relationships worldwide due to repression of women in general. The laws have thus been specifically set up to protect women (in just the last 60 or so years I might add).

Today's sexual dynamics are different.. women are empowered to do anything a man can do. Thus you now see more women who are dominant in relationships. Additionally, some women are a combination of both twisted and smart, they know the laws favor them in physical confrontations and take advantage.

As a man, I find that avoiding drama is my best bet. If a woman isn't on the same Ahimsa-frequency I am, I try to help but hold them at a distance. I haven't always been that way and brought into the fold a woman who ended up being quite toxic. I thought I could change her but I've learned that change can only be initiated if the person wants to change. She enjoyed the drama (the screaming, hurling insults, and throwing fists/kicks, etc) when she didn't get her way. That isn't my style, so I left. Life is now so much more peaceful and loving. Men and Women would do well to seek balanced people and drama-less relationships (and parents would do well to raise their children likewise).

Old 09-19-2015, 08:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
This double standard stretches throughout our culture rich vs poor minority vs majority male vs female young vs old---
When we are judged by what we do instead of who does it
things will get better
Free pass fervor must end

Old 09-19-2015, 02:43 PM

8 posts, read 5,782 times
I have a simple rule. Respect me and you get respect back. Use violence and it will be reciprocated. No one gets a free pass.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:45 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauriene View Post
I knew a married couple years ago, and the wife used to smack her husband around and everybody in our street would laugh and call him henpecked. But then one day he had enough and gave her a huge slap, and all of a sudden he became a monster in the eyes of everybody who found out, which is, well, everybody in our street.

Why is domestic violence (or violence in general) against women by men considered worse than violence against men by women?
I know it's awful Why was he still with her? If a woman hit me I'd end it on the spot no second chance

Old 09-19-2015, 03:05 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
It's just that historically men have always abused women more than the other way around, it's almost akin to the way non-whites get much more of a pass if they act in a racist way, cause again, historically speaking whites have been more racist... well, I should say more racists it's just that blacks and other minorities have taken more abuse/violence at the hands of white people.

I also think that men don't want to admit that they are getting slapped around by a woman, so it doesn't get reported as much.

To answer your question about the double standard... IDK... there just is....

Old 09-19-2015, 03:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Yes, indeed, it is a double standard.

Nobody should feel compelled to stay in a relationship where they are physically assaulted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships