Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 01:56 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times

Advertisements

Think before you open your mouth, OP. Believe it or not, you are talking to human beings, here, not yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 03:04 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bosche View Post
And when men do it, it makes me want to headbutt them. Stop it!
So basically a perfectly useful and functional word angers you so much that you need to call people "wackos" and "dweebs" and "pansy" - and you get the urge to violently attack them?

It sounds like a classic case of "It is not them - it is you". Seek help. Or perhaps find something genuinely useful to direct your concerns towards. You know something that actually matters in some way.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:05 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,862 times
Being bisexual, I prefer to use the word "partner" at times, especially if I don't feel like outing myself.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:21 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I find it confusing and odd too to say "partner." You are never sure if they are gay or straight.
Why would knowing if they are gay or straight even matter?

Old 09-21-2015, 07:27 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
I find it confusing and odd too to say "partner." You are never sure if they are gay or straight. My ex GF once introduced me as her "significant other" and I thought that was downright goofy ! I simply prefer the old terms of BF or GF, regardless of the person's age.

Don

Why would it matter if they are gay or straight and what business is it to you?

That is one of the points. To get away from a heteronormative society.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:46 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
My wife and I had this discussion last year when we got together. As a same sex couple who is now legally married, she used the term partner with the women she was with before, and I dislike that term immensely also. The teminology that gay couples use for their significant others has always been a subject of great debate, more so than with heterosexual couples. I don't like the term partner because it implies the two people have a business arrangement, not that they are a couple. It seems very impersonal to me. Gay couples chose between a myriad of terms for each other, among them:

1. partner (my second to least favorite, and probably the most common)

2. boyfriend/girlfriend (the one I used, but others criticized that one for sounding juvenile)

3. lover (people didn't like that one because it implied there was only a sexual relationship and no other relationship between the couple)

4. wife/husband (inappropriate because many couples were not legally married, especially before the Supreme Court decision)

5. better/other half (I can't stand that one, because it implies the person can't function as an individual)

Now I call her my wife. That sounds much better, and we can skip all the debate. It's amazing how the SC decision solved a big problem and provided solutions to a few trivial problems as well

Old 09-21-2015, 08:03 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,912 times
Hi OP,
Lets see here,

No Fire Fighter got hurt over weekend working shift, my son had a safe weekend during his patrols, I have to pick up my granddaughter from school, today, then off to lawyers office for my closing, busy day tomorrow, oh, we have the Rangers playing an exhibition game at the Garden, oh, what were we talking about again, our wives and girlfriends?

or something. Oh, that's right some kid has a problem with a word?

Are you ok? you didn't melt? you didn't get hurt? you need to sit down? you didn't fall off a chair or anything? you want a glass of water or something? you want a tissue? you going to be ok? you sure?

Come on young man, get your boot straps up and drive on, life's too short to wig out over a word.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:13 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,768 times
I think people use it because in this day and age, it's a good catch all. Back in the day, when you were a young girl or boy, you dated and had a boyfriend or girlfriend... got married and were a husband or wife. And maybe later, became a widower or widow. That was it.

Now we have all kinds of people, at all ages, in all kinds of relationships and not enough terminology to go around.

Since I am in a committed relationship, I suppose /girlfriend/boyfriend works, although I don't like the way it sounds really (at least at my age). While it's a word for a committed relationship, it just sounds too "young" since it's "boy" and "girl" (but gentleman-friend and lady-friend sounds too "elderly"). Shall it be "womanfriend" and "manfriend?" Sounds weird.

And before we were committed, what's the word to use? I used "partner" then for sure since I didn't know what else to say. "The person I am dating and am having sex with although we aren't exclusive yet." Too long.

What if we had been just FWB? "My friend with benefits" is too long as well. But saying girl or boyfriend is lie. Or what if we were in an open relationship and had several "partners?" Etc.

It's generic, I'll give you that. And I don't like it because of that, but until we have more words to describe all these other relationships, what else should we use?

Old 09-21-2015, 08:43 AM

125 posts, read 124,049 times
Quote:
I find it confusing and odd too to say "partner." You are never sure if they are gay or straight.
That's exactly the point. Why does it matter? If they think it's important for you to know the gender of the person they are banging, they will let you know. Otherwise, who cares?

Old 09-21-2015, 10:11 AM

507 posts, read 443,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
What if we had been just FWB? "My friend with benefits" is too long as well.
We used to call those umfriends, as in, "And this is my...um...friend."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships