Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,714 times

Advertisements

This is part relationship question and part safety question.

I am talking to this guy I met online who wants both a professional and a business relationship with me; he claims that his sister has done makeup for a few major movies and that he can help me with my nonexistent acting career, but at the same time, he is romantically interested in me. We met through a casting call ad for some independent art film he is making,not a dating site, so I was a bit surprised when he expressed that kind of interest after meeting a few times.

We have met, but this is my first time meeting anyone from online and we met in public places to discuss things, and its been overwhelming. He wants me to travel with him, which I don't know about because I am still in school (college), plus I am not 100% sure he isn't a psychotic murderer (can you ever really be sure?)...perhaps I am being paranoid about this whole thing? I mean it seems too good to be true...a person you met online wants you to travel with him and stay for extended periods of time at his beach front house and put you in movies...either I am overwhelmed by it or its too good to be true.

So how can I just make sure I am SAFE while doing all of this? I want to be 100% safe and sure that this is not all just some big lie or worse. This can either turn out really good or really bad.

This was basically a drawn out "how to stay safe with online dating" question, but I want to be extra extra careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 01:13 PM

714 posts, read 747,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslaBleu View Post
This is part relationship question and part safety question.

I am talking to this guy I met online who wants both a professional and a business relationship with me; he claims that his sister has done makeup for a few major movies and that he can help me with my nonexistent acting career, but at the same time, he is romantically interested in me. We met through a casting call ad for some independent art film he is making,not a dating site, so I was a bit surprised when he expressed that kind of interest after meeting a few times.

We have met, but this is my first time meeting anyone from online and we met in public places to discuss things, and its been overwhelming. He wants me to travel with him, which I don't know about because I am still in school (college), plus I am not 100% sure he isn't a psychotic murderer (can you ever really be sure?)...perhaps I am being paranoid about this whole thing? I mean it seems too good to be true...a person you met online wants you to travel with him and stay for extended periods of time at his beach front house and put you in movies...either I am overwhelmed by it or its too good to be true.

So how can I just make sure I am SAFE while doing all of this? I want to be 100% safe and sure that this is not all just some big lie or worse. This can either turn out really good or really bad.

This was basically a drawn out "how to stay safe with online dating" question, but I want to be extra extra careful.

Best way to be safe would be to not do it. People trying to get acting/music careers off the ground are prime targets for scam artists and the like. If you've met the guy and have serious doubts (sounds like you do) then trust that intuition.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:16 PM

304 posts, read 237,930 times
Agreed 100% with the above; maybe a middle ground would be to do some due diligence.

What's his LinkedIn profile look like?

References? Real people that you can talk to.

What's his facebook look like?

My guess is that he's a nice combination of creepy/flaky. If there's a large age difference I guarantee it.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:18 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,949 times
Lots of red flags there. You know what they say when something seems to good to be true. Best case scenario is that he's a creep and he'll screw around on you.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:18 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
What do you know about this guy? Seriously- anything you can confirm independent of what he has directly told you?

The fact that he wants you to come to him and is speaking about his beach house and putting you in movies is setting off my "spidey sense". While he might be who he says he is, there's also a chance that he's preying on a young woman who wants to be in movies so badly.

Good that you are thinking safety here. And, I agree with the above posters- get some independent information about him, and TRUST YOUR GUT.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:21 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,871 times
Too good to be true usually is.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:25 PM

3 posts, read 3,714 times
He has a LinkedIn profile that looks legit ( just checked that out now), and he did introduce me to a photographer once.

But you guys are right, lots of red flags, but may I be missing out on potential success and a relationship if I don't go?

Old 09-23-2015, 01:25 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,601,599 times
This has a BIG red flag all over it. Don't go for any of it.
Sounds like a married sick-o. Plus, he's not saying anything now, but I bet he'd ask you for money as well.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:28 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslaBleu View Post
He has a LinkedIn profile that looks legit ( just checked that out now), and he did introduce me to a photographer once.

But you guys are right, lots of red flags, but may I be missing out on potential success and a relationship if I don't go?
... or you could be missing out on seeing his special windowless room in the basement.

Seriously, though, you KNOW the answer. You said yourself ... he's Mr. Too Good to be True. If you learn NOTHING else in college, learn to TRUST YOUR GUT.

"Independent art film"?????? This sounds like the latest version of the old, "I'm a photographer and I can get you modeling jobs..." scam.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:29 PM

18 posts, read 24,180 times
I don't even know where to begin.

He claims he can help you with a non-existent acting career? How? Through his sister that does makeup for movies? Most movie studios employ casting professionals that, you know, actually cast the actors. They typically don't rely on the makeup people for that. is he only willing to help you with your career if you date him?

"some independent art film he is making" What does that even mean? Is he a director? Producer? How many other films has he made? Do you like his work? Do you even want to be in one of his films? Did you audition for him? For what type of role? Did he offer you a role in the film? Do you have an agent? Are you in a union? Can you work and attend college at the same time?

"He wants to put you in movies". Which movies? How exactly does someone "put" someone in a movie?

And alas he wants you to travel with him and wants you to stay at his beachfront house for "an extended time"? Sounds excellent.

Lastly, do you even like this person? Do you know anything about him? Your entire post is about what he's promised he can do for you. Newsflash: those relationships typically don't end well.

You sound very immature even for a college student. If you like this guy enough to have dinner with him, fair enough. But hold off on the vacations and moving into his beachfront house for just a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships