Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2015, 12:21 AM

272 posts, read 185,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
For the species as a whole yes. Individually it is a different story.
No, you are not going to die without a love relationship, as I am testimony to that. But testosterone being the powerful hormone (drug?) that it is, I think that that sexual gratification rates fairly high on the human needs list.

Take away the testosterone and what do you have? A girly-man. No percentage there, so off we go to Dodo Land. There are those who think we are circling the drain now, though not from this issue alone.

Since you want to focus on the individual, what about a job? Is it a need or just a mere want? You won't die from lack of employment but it is a considerable threat to one's existence. Hell, there are plenty of bridges to sleep under or jump off, but few would deny that having an income it is one of the things that, like sexual contact, make life worth living.

Which brings me to those people that don't believe life is worth living. "To be or not to be, that is the question" is one that each of us answers every day. Love deprivation was one of the things Shakespeare was talking about. What do you want to bet that any of the characters responsible for the recent school massacres had a girlfriend? The angst caused by deprivation could be thought of as Nature's way of showing us the door.

No, I am not blaming women as they didn't invent the system any more than men did. It was in place when we all arrived. The only thing we can do is learn more. Knowledge is indeed power.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:28 AM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Okay, so was there a definitive answer to this? 41 pages is a little much to wade through.
Short answer.... The OP couldn't get laid in a w********e with a 100 dollar bill pasted to his forehead.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:28 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJaction View Post
No, you are not going to die without a love relationship, as I am testimony to that. But testosterone being the powerful hormone (drug?) that it is, I think that that sexual gratification rates fairly high on the human needs list.

Take away the testosterone and what do you have? A girly-man. No percentage there, so off we go to Dodo Land. There are those who think we are circling the drain now, though not from this issue alone.

Since you want to focus on the individual, what about a job? Is it a need or just a mere want? You won't die from lack of employment but it is a considerable threat to one's existence. Hell, there are plenty of bridges to sleep under or jump off, but few would deny that having an income it is one of the things that, like sexual contact, make life worth living.

Which brings me to those people that don't believe life is worth living. "To be or not to be, that is the question" is one that each of us answers every day. Love deprivation was one of the things Shakespeare was talking about. What do you want to bet that any of the characters responsible for the recent school massacres had a girlfriend? The angst caused by deprivation could be thought of as Nature's way of showing us the door.

No, I am not blaming women as they didn't invent the system any more than men did. It was in place when we all arrived. The only thing we can do is learn more. Knowledge is indeed power.
You can't really compare the two.

One has to do with surviving in this day and age, otherwise you'd be homeless or god knows where. The other doesn't.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:42 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:

Girly-man? Are you another one of those meatheads obsessed with masculinity and femininity?

Quote:
Someone isn't going to live very long living under a bridge exposed to the elements and not knowing when they are going to get a next meal.

Quote:
Well look at this way, a woman is more likely to buy a random man food or give a man some clothes. I doubt a woman is going to sleep with a random man just because he looks like he hasn't gotten laid in a while. The only exception would be if she is a prostitute. That should tell you how much of a need sex and companionship is in comparison to other things.

The whole school shooter thing is a tired narrative in this regard. Many guys out there who haven't gotten action in a while. Some have never gotten action and yet they don't go around shooting random people.

The guys that did that have far deeper issues.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:47 AM

I wasn't comparing the two directly. Just using employment as another one of those things that make life worth living, as well as trying to answer whether relationships are a need or merely a want. I've known many people who have survived with no job. In fact there are websites that instruct on how to do exactly that. One can "survive" without an income as well as no sexual relationship but that would make for one bereft soul indeed. And hence the downward spiral toward suicide.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:52 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
I wasn't comparing the two directly. Just using employment as another one of those things that make life worth living, as well as trying to answer whether relationships are a need or merely a want. I've known many people who have survived with no job. In fact there are websites that instruct on how to do exactly that. One can "survive" without an income as well as no sexual relationship but that would make for one bereft soul indeed. And hence the downward spiral toward suicide.
And yet one could have both of those things and yet still commit suicide. Neither one will guarantee happiness or fulfillment. In fact people who do well both careers and relationships are usually already happy and fulfilled within themselves.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Girly-man? Are you another one of those meatheads obsessed with masculinity and femininity?

Someone isn't going to live very long living under a bridge exposed to the elements and not knowing when they are going to get a next meal.

Well look at this way, a woman is more likely to buy a random man food or give a man some clothes. I doubt a woman is going to sleep with a random man just because he looks like he hasn't gotten laid in a while. The only exception would be if she is a prostitute. That should tell you how much of a need sex and companionship is in comparison to other things.

The whole school shooter thing is a tired narrative in this regard. Many guys out there who haven't gotten action in a while. Some have never gotten action and yet they don't go around shooting random people.

The guys that did that have far deeper issues.
The answer to your question is no, because one reference in one sentence doesn't rise to the level of an obsession. Girly-man is a rather imprecise term but one that everyone is familiar with. What word do you use for a man who has had his testosterone shot out from under him?

I live in Southern California so it is year round outdoor camping here. I see the same souls out there year after year and many of them just follow the sun. They survive but it is hardly a life worth living. I call it wending one's way toward suicide.

I was not aware that a woman could tell just by looking at him, but maybe so.

Prostitutes don't give away their sexual favors for nothing. Not ever. They also don't do relationships, other than the one hour variety.

Yes, we are agreed that women generally don't donate sex to the needy. And that just might be because they don't perceive sex as a need, only a mere want. Now I am not advocating that they change this as it doesn't seem very practical.

But is that narrative true? The common denominator is no relationship, from Lee Harvey Oswald to Chris Harper Mercer. And yes that deeper issue is mental insanity, which is beyond the scope of this writer and post.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:07 AM

641 posts, read 405,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So? Just because one person says so doesn't make it gospel. If it's so easy for a woman to pick up a new guy, why is it mostly the guys who get into a relationship right after a breakup, while it takes women a very long time to find a new guy? I suppose it depends on what type of crowd you run with; maybe your observations have been opposite to mine. But it seems to me much easier for guys to find a new gf. Or maybe it depends on the individual.
It's usually the other way around. Particularly with younger women who always have options.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:43 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
The answer to your question is no, because one reference in one sentence doesn't rise to the level of an obsession. Girly-man is a rather imprecise term but one that everyone is familiar with. What word do you use for a man who has had his testosterone shot out from under him?

I live in Southern California so it is year round outdoor camping here. I see the same souls out there year after year and many of them just follow the sun. They survive but it is hardly a life worth living. I call it wending one's way toward suicide.

I was not aware that a woman could tell just by looking at him, but maybe so.

Prostitutes don't give away their sexual favors for nothing. Not ever. They also don't do relationships, other than the one hour variety.

Yes, we are agreed that women generally don't donate sex to the needy. And that just might be because they don't perceive sex as a need, only a mere want. Now I am not advocating that they change this as it doesn't seem very practical.

But is that narrative true? The common denominator is no relationship, from Lee Harvey Oswald to Chris Harper Mercer. And yes that deeper issue is mental insanity, which is beyond the scope of this writer and post.
Lee Harvey Oswald was married.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Lee Harvey Oswald was married.
Yes, you are correct, but Lee and Marina were separated and lived apart. When she spurned his attempt at a reconciliation, he took his rifle and shot Kennedy the very next day. I included him because at the time of his demented and suicidal act, his relationship was sundered. From what I read of Marina Oswald, she was in an impossible situation and in no way responsible for what transpired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships