Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 07:24 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It started at the same time as internet/cell phones.

I found dating in the 90s totally fine.

I look at what it's like now, and hells, no.
By my reckoning, there is no single culprit. It's not modern computers/telecommunications, it's not "feminism", it's not decline of manufacturing and blue-collar-middle-class employment, and it's not the culture-wars. It's a mixture of sundry causes, but mostly what I see happening is the logical outcome of the Western Enlightenment. A few guys (and it was almost entirely guys) in the 17th and 18th centuries had some bold ideas about individual rights and happiness, about privacy and self-determination and so forth. Those were brilliant ideas, astonishingly prescient ideas. But they contain within them a horrible cancer. Now in the 21st century that cancer has grown into an enormous tumor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Do you think for a second the people whining here have really reached for the peak of being a good person? No way. They are too busy harping on baldness and fatness and wallets and how everything is unfair. Who the heck would want to be with them!!?

No. They think giving more than you get makes you a chump. Me me me me me. It's not surprising.
"Me me me" is basic human nature. It's how we evolved.

No one's a saint. Everyone could benefit from a solid regimen of self-improvement. But I fail to understand why it is so incumbent upon us to first fulfill our potential, so something like that, before becoming worthy of a relationship. Romantic relationships are not a grant bestowed upon the thin sliver of highest-scoring candidates, or at least it shouldn't be. That too is pretty basic to the human condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think most single moms do a great job, no idea why anyone would consider kids baggage...
Several persons have mentioned being child-free. I go further: antinatalism.

Last edited by ohio_peasant; 09-27-2015 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 07:44 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
(* Then my response in earlier post, above).

My earlier response was in reference to what you had said, that I thought I had quoted, then. Actually, I was attempting to elaborate on what you said, by mentioning that "sex too is for everyone, including idiots". (I thought I we were thinking similarly, as I responded. Now I do not know what you mean by "humans change their minds").

All I really meant was, is that sex has been and continues to be more of a powerful influence seemingly over love, since everybody does it, with or without love.. seems mostly without. It has become intertwined and confused in being referred to as one in the same.
That's what I was getting at with humans changing their minds. They like someone then decide nah I'm going to end it.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:53 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
Probably why you can't get a date, you can't handle women at all. I'm glad I'm getting on your nerves, it says a lot about your character.
Actually if you had read Niner's numerous posts in a plethora of threads you would see that he does get dates.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:54 PM

72 posts, read 47,371 times
Quote:
Probably why you can't get a date, you can't handle women at all. I'm glad I'm getting on your nerves, it says a lot about your character.
Your posts are full of ad-hominem instead of directly addressing and debating the implications and logical legitimacy of his stance.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:01 PM

1,273 posts, read 991,427 times
Whatever, don't really know the guy. I doubt he gives a flying rat's patooty what I think, so y'all don't need to defend him.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:11 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,572,239 times
Quote:

Old 09-27-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Actually if you had read Niner's numerous posts in a plethora of threads you would see that he does get dates.
There ya go. Then its gotta be true, since you read it on the Internet. ROFLMAO

Old 09-27-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhhNo View Post
Your posts are full of ad-hominem instead of directly addressing and debating the implications and logical legitimacy of his stance.
Any stance one takes is legitimate, and we all have a right to that. No one says you can't. Its perfectly acceptable to live your own life. However, no one has to agree with it either. There are a lot of people that don't like Kids. You read about them being killed and abused all the time. There are a lot of people out there that like Kids too much, and you read about them in the papers too. Each to his own, but no one has to agree.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I will never date a woman who has kids. Single mothers just want another daddy for their kids and I'm not a sucker. I also do not like children and don't want to be around them. I'd rather be single forever than have to date a mom. No thanks
Actually, I would think there is something wrong with a Mom, if she didn't expect you to take an active role in her family. I don't know of any woman that wants another "Dad" for her family, and I have know a lot of them, but they did expect the Man to fill a void, as a Male Partner to the Mother. That's a desirable trait to me. I wouldn't go so far as calling that being a "Sucker."

Actually, I would love to see the type of woman that would date you. It would be interesting, given how you feel about Relationships. Bet she would be a winner.

1. Don't like Kids
2. Don't want anything to do with one who has kids
3. Don't want to deal with any problems she may have
4. Don't want any Baggage attached.

What exactly do you have to contribute to a relationship?

Old 09-27-2015, 08:47 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

"Me me me" is basic human nature. It's how we evolved.

Uh, no.

The reason for our success as a species is actually cooperation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships