Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 10:53 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,125 times

Advertisements

Have two stepdaughters, in their twenties, grown (one married) and both in different states far away. No birth kids of my own.
My ex-wife-to-be and I are getting divorced after 17 years together and 15 years married.......and I have always had a civil-yet-complicated relationship with the stepkids. Basically raised and supported them, but they never (for host of reasons) never bought into me as part of their lives, instead I was the guy that slept with mom and paid the bills. A nice guy, seen not as a monster, but never part of the group and certainly not as a full-fledged family "partner." I wanted it to be closer, and always have, but whenever I took on Dad roles, they always fought it, and Mom would step in. In teen years, Mom and kids, well they would all circle the wagons, talk amongst themselves, etc.....
So it's messy, but they would still say I love you and glad to see me. And we get along ok when together.
Anyway, I do know that it is still complicated, and now with a divorce, one that they (as always) are circling the wagons with their mother for, I am a bit confused as to how our relationship should be, during and after the divorce. The divorce is fairly mutual, and certainly civil. Never abuse or infidelity from either of us. Just a whole lotta disagreeeing and arguing and a change of life goals from both of us.
I am certainly not trying to sway them, and I've always kept my distance. Just don't want them to hate me, I guess. This is all very new to me.
I guess what I'm asking is how do I go on, (or DO I?) having a relationship with them. I'm now an ex-step-father. That's a lot of hyphens, both literally and certainly figuratively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 10:55 AM

1,273 posts, read 990,881 times
It all depends on why you are divorcing

Old 09-30-2015, 10:56 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Have two stepdaughters, in their twenties, grown (one married) and both in different states far away. No birth kids of my own.
My ex-wife-to-be and I are getting divorced after 17 years together and 15 years married.......and I have always had a civil-yet-complicated relationship with the stepkids. Basically raised and supported them, but they never (for host of reasons) never bought into me as part of their lives, instead I was the guy that slept with mom and paid the bills. A nice guy, seen not as a monster, but never part of the group and certainly not as a full-fledged family "partner." I wanted it to be closer, and always have, but whenever I took on Dad roles, they always fought it, and Mom would step in. In teen years, Mom and kids, well they would all circle the wagons, talk amongst themselves, etc.....
So it's messy, but they would still say I love you and glad to see me. And we get along ok when together.
Anyway, I do know that it is still complicated, and now with a divorce, one that they (as always) are circling the wagons with their mother for, I am a bit confused as to how our relationship should be, during and after the divorce. The divorce is fairly mutual, and certainly civil.
I am certainly not trying to sway them, and I've always kept my distance. Just don't want them to hate me, I guess. This is all very new to me.
That's a shame.

Honestly, I would follow their lead. Let them know, somehow, that you will be there if they need you but that you will not reach out to them.

Wish them well, and go on with your life.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:08 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
You can't stop them from hating you...depends on how much your ex talks negatively about you or if you had contentious issues you're divorcing over. Just stay civil to all. You don't seem to feel that close to them so there's no reason to force that now - things may naturally drift (further) apart and that's probably okay given they're grown anyway.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
I'm sorry, OP. It would be really rough for me to lose stepchildren like that. I've severed friendships but missed seeing their kids and wonder how they are doing. You have been such a part of each other's lives.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:10 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
I would really let the stepchildren set the tempo on this since they are grown. I gained a stepfather and stepbrother over the summer and a lot of the time, stepchildren will side with their natural parent on anything to the point of shutting the stepparent out. My mother had previously been married before and I have no contact with her ex-husbands, one because he was a controlling tool to my mother. I don't think they will hate you since you sound like an okay person but be very prepared for them not to want to keep contact with you.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:29 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
That's a shame.

Honestly, I would follow their lead. Let them know, somehow, that you will be there if they need you but that you will not reach out to them.

Wish them well, and go on with your life.
This is terrific logic. And suits where we are now and where I predict us to be.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:33 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
This is terrific logic. And suits where we are now and where I predict us to be.

I agree, and something you might want to buckle up for is that you might not have much contact with them at all. They're getting older and doing there own thing more, and things didn't sound super rosey to begin with. Of course the flip side is as they get older they may see you in a better perspective and appreciate you more....

Just something to think about

Old 09-30-2015, 01:46 PM

86 posts, read 76,240 times
Your relationship with your stepkids sounds kind of like mine, in which case, if it happens, I would never expect to hear from them again, which would be fine by me.

I have gone out of my way to be a great substitute parent and have been repayed with nothing but grief and spite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships