Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2015, 01:03 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Exactly. And if a man brings this topic up around here its seen with negativity. Now, a woman can complain she does all house chores and her husband just smiles and you bet the replies from women won't be nothing comparable to what it is said here about reciprocating. Double-standards, that's all. There are other cultures where women do reciprocate though and I am not just talking about a shy smile. To each, their own.
It comes down to choice, doesn't it?

If the parties agreed that household chores would be shared, that's a heck of a lot different than if there was an agreement that one would do all of it.

I cook for my partner, every meal. It was our agreement when we got into the relationship. Yup, all he does is smile and say thanks- which is enough for me, because I know that he appreciates it. This is vastly different than say, me doing all the cooking without such an agreement in place. With that being said, my response to someone complaining about cooking or cleaning would be no different than my response here-- you have free choice to do or not to do whatever the heck you want in a relationship, just find a partner who you are compatible with. Gender irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 01:15 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
How is doing all the household chores comparable to holding a door open for someone? Haha!

Old 10-06-2015, 01:22 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
It comes down to choice, doesn't it?
Yes. There are couples that are fine with things revolving around the woman having the man do all the chivalrous things mentioned in this thread , among other things, while she simply gives him a smile and there will be other couples from other cultures where the woman does more than a smile to show appreciation. I agree, like you said, it comes down to choice.

Quote:
If the parties agreed that household chores would be shared, that's a heck of a lot different than if there was an agreement that one would do all of it
Wouldn’t that make it easier for everybody to have some sort of agreement? But when it comes to these things I am not sure if there are really any sorts of agreements. You assume your partner will be nice to you and take action on showing appreciation other than doing nothing. In the past there have been threads of women complaining that they do all house chores while their husband doesn’t. I find it interesting how female posters don’t respond to them the same way they respond to men. You would think the same female posters who make fun of men in this thread to tell those female posters things like “Stop complaining, be a lady, and just do all house chores…you must hate men…you may have a vagina but you don’t know how to be a woman…you must be a wacko *****…a man reciprocates everything you do with a shy smile and bonus points so shut up…” But no, you don’t see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
How is doing all the household chores comparable to holding a door open for someone? Haha!
That if a man complains that he does everything (dating) he gets flamed while a woman who complains she does everything (married) she gets sympathy. Its not like you would tell her the same things you tell me who complain.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:28 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
I think it's along the lines of chore "equality" where cooking every day, housekeeping, grocery shopping, and laundry "equal" mowing the lawn once a week, putting up the Christmas lights, and changing the oil in the car.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think it's along the lines of chore "equality" where cooking every day, housekeeping, grocery shopping, and laundry "equal" mowing the lawn once a week, putting up the Christmas lights, and changing the oil in the car.
Hold on - let me take a look at my spreadsheet...

Old 10-06-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Hold on - let me take a look at my spreadsheet...
You don't need to when all you do is smile back. So you're fine.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Just wanted to point out the attitudes of female posters when a man talks or questions about doing everything compared to a woman complaining about doing everything.

Next time a female poster comes to complain about doing all house chores while her guy doesn't we'll see how female posters reply which I can assure you is different as seen already in past threads. As for now, enjoy having men do all chivalrous things for you while you give him bonus points.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:43 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post

Wouldn’t that make it easier for everybody to have some sort of agreement? But when it comes to these things I am not sure if there are really any sorts of agreements.
My partner and I have one. But, as it seems with most things around here, we are the exception that makes the rule, I guess.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
My partner and I have one. But, as it seems with most things around here, we are the exception that makes the rule, I guess.
I can understand how being the exception is. When I was dating in the USA I would be an exception on how things worked with me and the girl I would date. A bit different to how women are with their guy in American culture but we didn’t mind. We were both happy and still are doing things a bit different to what is normally seen there.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
We don't have an agreement - we just do what works for us. For instance, he takes the trash up because we have a really steep driveway and it's much easier for him than for me. There have been times when I've almost not been able to get the trash all the way up. We didn't have to talk about it - that's just the way it came about. When things aren't working, we talk about it. It works for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships