Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 02:08 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times

Advertisements

I'm not in this situation but I'm curious. There's this guy in one of my classes, and he stutters, to the point where he can't even complete one sentence without having to repeat what he's said several times. I cringe because I feel embarrassed for him because everyone just stares at him when he does it, even the teacher. I've never known anyone that Stutters so this is the first time I've witnessed it and now that I do I can see that it probably is difficult for him to hold a conversation let alone talk to a woman without it being noticable. So I'm curious would any of you date someone that stutters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 02:10 PM

62 posts, read 122,078 times
Yes I would

I actually have a BAD speech impediment (I stutter and I talk REALLY fast, even when I try to talk slow I stutter) so it's not a problem AT ALL for me

Old 09-26-2015, 02:13 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
The level of shallow some humans show is beyond pathetic.

If I liked someone as a friend or romantic interest I liked them, spent time with them, went on dates etc.
Accepting them as they are like they accepted me as I am.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The level of shallow some humans show is beyond pathetic.

If I liked someone as a friend or romantic interest I liked them, spent time with them, went on dates etc.
Accepting them as they are like they accepted me as I am.
How is it pathetic to question whether or not one could tolerate a stutter? I know I would not be able to. Not necessarily for shallow reasons either... I have bad ADHD and I need people to be concise and get straight to the point. I dated a guy once that loved to talk and he would spend so much time trying to get to the point that I would want to pull my hair out. My dad is the same way. He tries to give me advice and I never get it because it takes too long for him to get to the point. The last guy I dated was the most concise straight forward guy there is and I loved it and decided then that I could never date a man that wasn't able to quickly get to his point. I don't have the patience. Even with my son, who's 4, I find myself wanting to pull my hair out because he will take forever to tell me things. From what I noticed stutters struggle to get words out and so talking would require patience and that I don't have. Maybe this does make me shallow. I would never reject him though because I was embarrassed or anything like that.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:13 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
How is it pathetic to question whether or not one could tolerate a stutter? I know I would not be able to. Not necessarily for shallow reasons either... I have bad ADHD and I need people to be concise and get straight to the point. I dated a guy once that loved to talk and he would spend so much time trying to get to the point that I would want to pull my hair out. My dad is the same way. He tries to give me advice and I never get it because it takes too long for him to get to the point. The last guy I dated was the most concise straight forward guy there is and I loved it and decided then that I could never date a man that wasn't able to quickly get to his point. I don't have the patience. Even with my son, who's 4, I find myself wanting to pull my hair out because he will take forever to tell me things. From what I noticed stutters struggle to get words out and so talking would require patience and that I don't have. Maybe this does make me shallow. I would never reject him though because I was embarrassed or anything like that.
Then the problem is still with you and you need to work on your personal challenges...especially if your own son trying to tell you something makes you upset.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I dated a girl who was deaf. I would date someone who stutters if I thought they would be a good person

Old 09-26-2015, 03:18 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
It would be a different one but for the right woman I wouldn't hold it again her I'm sure she could point out few flaws about me lol

Old 09-26-2015, 03:25 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
I stutter but have had enough training that it is no longer detectable by most. Also can't pronounce "little" always say small. I would find it very difficult to deal closely with someone else who stutters because I would immediately begin to stutter and then get worse. The pattern of stuttering speech triggers my own stuttering.

Most stuttering is now pretty treatable. We helped a couple of engineers get rid of it when I was managing a development engineering shop. One guy came out of it so aggressively verbal we thought about whether we could have the treatment reversed.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post

So I'm curious would any of you date someone that stutters?
Provided she met all my other 'likes' and basic 'requirements' I would. She'd probably be a good listener!

[]

Old 09-26-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Then the problem is still with you and you need to work on your personal challenges...especially if your own son trying to tell you something makes you upset.
It doesn't make me upset I just get frustrated or lose interest when it takes too long for people to get to the point. Obviously it's my own personal issue as I said I have ADHD. However because I have my own limitations and tend to lack patience I know I would not be the right person to date someone like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships