Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 12:28 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
What happens if the guy is from an average family, but becomes affluent?

Then, he won't be able to connect with the rich people (because he's had struggles and they don't know about reality) and he wouldn't be able to connect with poor people (because he's rich now).

Plot twist!
It happens.... "New money versus Old Money".

I knew 1 kid who was from "new money" in a mid-class student body when I was in HS. He purposely didn't talk about it and dressed like us to fit in. He did just fine.

I would surmise that that is what happens... even in the adult world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 12:44 PM

52,251 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
It happens.... "New money versus Old Money".

I knew 1 kid who was from "new money" in a mid-class student body when I was in HS. He purposely didn't talk about it and dressed like us to fit in. He did just fine.

I would surmise that that is what happens... even in the adult world.
That's how I'd roll, I'm a middle class type of guy, and if I came into a large sum of money, such as the lottery, I'd still dress the same and keep the same circle of friends, or whatever.

I often wonder if the super wealthy are really as snooty as we tend to think of them, at least how it's presented in tv and movies. I don't know any super rich so I can't say for sure, in all fairness.

I've thought about this before, especially when daydreaming about winning the lotto. I'm positive that I'd still be the same guy, dress the same, drive a modest car, live in a modest house, Don't get me wrong, would be really nice car and a really nice house, but it wouldn't be like I'd go out and get some kind of high end Lamborghini or whatever.

To bring it back to the point of the thread, I'd still be interested in middle class / average women. It would just be nice to meet a nice woman, have her not know you've got some serious bread and then be able to surprise her with nice vacations and things like that..

Last edited by Chowhound; 09-27-2015 at 02:01 PM..

Old 09-27-2015, 01:21 PM

388 posts, read 382,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

To bring it back to the point of the thread, I'd still be interested in middle class / average women. It would just be nice to meet a nice woman, have her not know you've got some serious bread and then be able to surprise her with nice vacations and things like that..
She may think you've deceived her by not revealing your true financial situation Why wouldn't you tell her? Is it to test her interest/love for you? Once she finds out you own some small island and collects rare Lambos she will be resentful that your deliberately tested her in the first place..withholding information for the intention to make you appear 'normal' is same as deceit.

Straying off topic here, I agree with OP that the man should take initiative as head once he marries into money.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaWilde View Post
She may think you've deceived her by not revealing your true financial situation Why wouldn't you tell her? Is it to test her interest/love for you? Once she finds out you own some small island and collects rare Lambos she will be resentful that your deliberately tested her in the first place..withholding information for the intention to make you appear 'normal' is same as deceit.

Straying off topic here, I agree with OP that the man should take initiative as head once he marries into money.
No... normal women, women with brains wouldn't jump to that conclusion, and besides rich people have been actively protecting their wealth since the dawn of time.

Dressing casually and living a basic middle class lifestyle has nothing to do with being rich.

What??? Do you meet a woman and just start spouting off your financials to her??

Old 09-27-2015, 02:00 PM

8 posts, read 5,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
OP:

Exactly why are you concerned about this?

Is it really your place to even tell this to any guy?

Is it really any of your business whether or not a guy from an average family decides to date a female from an affluent family.

As my mother told me when I was younger...

You worry about what you are doing.

Let the other person worry about what they are doing.

And why should it matter to you what the other guy is doing?
Because the guy is stupid and all he wants is money. Is he cheap? The guy who wants a girl from an affluent family is a gold digger also. That shows he hasn't respect for his own family. Plain greed that is all it is

Old 09-27-2015, 02:25 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocnbtrn View Post
There are consequences to why a guy from an average family should not get too involved or marry a women from an affluent family. It is that the affluent should only stay with the affluent. If you are laid back and have a more reality of life you will connect more with a women from the same background. There are good chances that women fro affluent families have parents who will lord their money over you and expect things their way. The problem is that guys do not think about that and think that it is easy street. However there is always a price to pay if that family lords their money over you. It seems as guys are acting too cheap and want free rides likes for the woman's family to pay for their first house and wedding. Guys need to find someone with their same background

Are you trying to date/marry a woman from an affluent family? You see, in some cases you don't need to have money, or even be affluent yourself, but you need to have qualities they can accept.
So, maybe an average guy, from average family, that is laid back and have more (?) reality of life (you need to elaborate it) doesn't do the cut...

I agree, that most affluent families (especially those with "old money") stay, (and marry) other affluent families. You see they have a different concept how to handle money and stay affluent: from the moment a child is born into a wealthy family, their parents' spending habits determine if they, too, will be in a high income bracket as an adult. It stems from how wealthy parents spend money compared to their low-income counterparts. Where low-income families focus on immediate needs, such as food and transportation, rich families invest more on future oriented purchases that will ensure their well-being.
So, yes - affluent people have particular expectations how you handle your, and their money.

Last edited by elnina; 09-27-2015 at 02:37 PM..

Old 09-27-2015, 02:25 PM

388 posts, read 382,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Dressing casually and living a basic middle class lifestyle has nothing to do with being rich.

What??? Do you meet a woman and just start spouting off your financials to her??
If a woman asked me point blank about my financial situation, I wouldn't hold back in telling her. Hypothetically that is, if I was affluent. She'll be able to Google the name anyway and get all the information about my networth online.

In reply to Ocnbtrn, if all the guy wanted was money, he would be in for a rude awakening. Living with high maintenance women and family is not the easy ride he imagined. But should a regular guy from a normal family marry a woman from an affluent family because he loves her? Absolutely yes

Old 09-27-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Thank you. It seems like I said further down this post if a man wants to marry into an affluent family he is just a gold digger or cheap. If he grew up in an average family or poor family he should stick to the same kind. Marrying into an affluent family you have to be very cautious. Because those people are more protective of their money and they think of return on investment . Because always remember love and money do not mix....
These affluent families claim they want happiness for their daughter but everything always has a price to it with them

Old 09-27-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
If a woman asked me point blank about my financial situation, I wouldn't hold back in telling her. Hypothetically that is, if I was affluent. She'll be able to Google the name anyway and get all the information about my networth online.

In reply to Ocnbtrn, if all the guy wanted was money, he would be in for a rude awakening. Living with high maintenance women and family is not the easy ride he imagined. But should a regular guy from a normal family marry a woman from an affluent family because he loves her? Absolutely yes
Always remember proceed with caution if you marry that woman that you love from that affluent family because affluent people always expect return on investment and especially if they are going to lord their money over you

Old 09-27-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocnbtrn View Post
Thank you. It seems like I said further down this post if a man wants to marry into an affluent family he is just a gold digger or cheap. If he grew up in an average family or poor family he should stick to the same kind. Marrying into an affluent family you have to be very cautious. Because those people are more protective of their money and they think of return on investment . Because always remember love and money do not mix....
These affluent families claim they want happiness for their daughter but everything always has a price to it with them
You and the other poster have a bizarre sense of what is considered deceit.

Waiting til you're walking down the aisle to announce you're loaded with cash might be a deception.

When you are just barely getting to know a person, keeping your financial situation to yourself most certainly isn't deception, it's common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships