Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 10:08 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
Ok, now if I was to go out on a few dates with a white girl, could I ask her if her parents are ok with us dating?
Honestly, I am not a huge fan of "emphasizing the differences", if you know what I mean. If you wouldn't ask her parents if she were the same race as you, I wouldn't do it because you're not. Get what I'm saying?

But, with that being said, I'll tell you, with my current bf, there was an issue with my parents. Because he's 25 years my senior. WAY into our dating, he came to meet my parents. I felt strongly about them meeting, told him, and it happened.

Don't make it an issue until it becomes one. And, remember, always, you're going out with HER, not her parents.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:10 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Honestly, I am not a huge fan of "emphasizing the differences", if you know what I mean. If you wouldn't ask her parents if she were the same race as you, I wouldn't do it because you're not. Get what I'm saying?

But, with that being said, I'll tell you, with my current bf, there was an issue with my parents. Because he's 25 years my senior. WAY into our dating, he came to meet my parents. I felt strongly about them meeting, told him, and it happened.

Don't make it an issue until it becomes one. And, remember, always, you're going out with HER, not her parents.
Yea. "Emphasizing the differences" as in "interracial mixing" right?

Old 02-11-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Yea. "Emphasizing the differences" as in "interracial mixing" right?
No, actually, "emphasizing the difference" as in calling attention to things that you believe others would have an issue with.

Hon, the fact of the matter is that many people simply don't have an issue with stuff like this. And, if they do, it's usually not something that you have to handle right away. If you call attention to it, you're making an issue where there doesn't really have to be one.

Let things flow. Meet girls, and have a good time. If there's one that you click with, enjoy it. She'll let you know what the scoop is about this.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
No, actually, "emphasizing the difference" as in calling attention to things that you believe others would have an issue with.

Hon, the fact of the matter is that many people simply don't have an issue with stuff like this. And, if they do, it's usually not something that you have to handle right away. If you call attention to it, you're making an issue where there doesn't really have to be one.

Let things flow. Meet girls, and have a good time. If there's one that you click with, enjoy it. She'll let you know what the scoop is about this.
What are some cool places to meet girls? For a long time, I was considered anti-social.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:29 PM

LAFan...

I wanted my bf to meet my parents because, after a year, my father was still a little "weird" about this older guy from Canada. But, that was a YEAR.

I never "sold" my bf to my parents as "the guy who's 25 years older than me". He's just him. And, it turned out, that my dad wasn't going to be happy until he could "gauge his intentions face-to-face". (You know, dad stuff)

If my bf had insisted upon meeting them, because he's "older", that would just have accentuated the issue. Which is what you would do, by saying "I'm a different race".

Wait and see what the issues are and attack them then. Life's too short to worry about things that may not even be an issue.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
What are some cool places to meet girls? For a long time, I was considered anti-social.
Work? School? Church? The Internet?

For a long time, I was "shy". It wasn't until I went to college that I discovered my inner "social butterfly". And, really, that's only because I was comfortable where I was.

So, where are you comfortable? What do you like to do?

Old 02-11-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
LAFan...

I wanted my bf to meet my parents because, after a year, my father was still a little "weird" about this older guy from Canada. But, that was a YEAR.

I never "sold" my bf to my parents as "the guy who's 25 years older than me". He's just him. And, it turned out, that my dad wasn't going to be happy until he could "gauge his intentions face-to-face". (You know, dad stuff)

If my bf had insisted upon meeting them, because he's "older", that would just have accentuated the issue. Which is what you would do, by saying "I'm a different race".

Wait and see what the issues are and attack them then. Life's too short to worry about things that may not even be an issue.
Alright. I'll wait my homeboys get me hooked up.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Alright. I'll wait my homeboys get me hooked up.
Whatever you're comfortable with.

You can meet ladies wherever you are. That's the beauty of having so many people around. If you're comfortable with having your friends hook you up, awesome.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Whatever you're comfortable with.

You can meet ladies wherever you are. That's the beauty of having so many people around. If you're comfortable with having your friends hook you up, awesome.
I sorta don't have the courage to speak to a girl, even when there's one walking by me. If you ask me, I lack experience of dating or relationships.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
If you ask me, I lack experience of dating or relationships.
Ok, and how are you different from any other person in this world at some point in their life? It's something that you work with, and you learn through. EVERYONE has been through this.

How have you met your other friends? What do you enjoy doing?

Focus on that. If you're where you are comfortable and enjoy being, the ladies will follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships