Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 01:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,328 times

Advertisements

I have been in a relationship with my girlfriend for 3 months.
We both love each so much, but there's one thing she has a problem with and she can't let it go.
When I was young, I had a very awkward relationship with another girl and thinking back, she was really just a friend, and wasn't that important. However, by mistake, I considered getting her a gift that cost $1800- although I didn't actually get it for her- and I actually spent $400 dollars on her gift and another $100 to ship it. Obviously, all of this was very stupid on my part.
Now, my current girlfriend can't get over the fact that I ever considered spending that much money on that kind of person and it bothers her that I spent $500 on that girl from the past.
I've gotten my current girlfriend so much better stuff and she agrees that I have done everything for her materially and immaterially, but because she has a problem with this one fact, she's going to break up with me.
She hates guys who had girls in the past and she needs to feel special. She feels that everything I did for her, I'd do for that other girl too- although I've never done anything like that. She's always gotten mad about this kind of stuff with her other boyfriends in the past as well.
What should I do in this situation? I told her that it was a mistake and I was being very stupid since I was young. She didn't feel that it was an acceptable answer and will break up with me unless I can convince her and make her feel that she's the only one. For me, it's a very difficult situation because I tried my best for her, but she's convinced that I'd do that for everyone- although I've never done it for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 04:09 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,234,397 times
You can't convince her. No one could. You can't change her. Either she accepts you for who you are (which doesnt look like is going to happen) or you have to move on. She will make your life totally miserable. You cant make her happy.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:23 AM

388 posts, read 382,801 times
Why did you blurt out about spending $500 on your previous crush?

Assure your new girl you love her very much. everyone has a history, it's impossible not to have someone in the past. From what you say, the new girl is impossible to please. things will only go downhill from here.

In the future keep quiet about what you did for previous girlfriends. Or it can be used against you

Old 09-29-2015, 05:26 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,945,242 times
Elementary school was so much fun.

I suggest finding other girls to talk to on the playground. Don't waste another recess on her.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:07 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksj172 View Post

I've gotten my current girlfriend so much better stuff and she agrees that I have done everything for her materially and immaterially, but because she has a problem with this one fact, she's going to break up with me.
She hates guys who had girls in the past and she needs to feel special.
Ugh.

Guess what ... she's not the only one for you.

Let her break up with you, since she apparently has already threatened that. In fact, beat her to the punch.

She obviously is immature and insecure and all those other traits that will make you miserable. You will NEVER satisfy a person who is so blatant about their self-absorption. And you should not waste any of your time trying.

Love is supposed to be reciprocal, and it's does not have a list of demands that starts with, "Be sure I am the ONLY girl you've ever paid attention to."

Old 09-29-2015, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaWilde View Post
Why did you blurt out about spending $500 on your previous crush?

Assure your new girl you love her very much. everyone has a history, it's impossible not to have someone in the past. From what you say, the new girl is impossible to please. things will only go downhill from here.

In the future keep quiet about what you did for previous girlfriends. Or it can be used against you
Yea, it was my bad. I'm just the type of guy who likes to reveal everything about himself and not hide. I definitely learned a lesson. She even said multiple times that my only mistake was I said too much.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:37 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
She even said multiple times that my only mistake was I said too much.
That's her deflecting her problem back to you.

Ridiculous.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:41 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
Quote:
We both love each so much, but there's one thing she has a problem with and she can't let it go.
When I was young, I had a very awkward relationship with another girl and thinking back, she was really just a friend, and wasn't that important. However, by mistake, I considered getting her a gift that cost $1800- although I didn't actually get it for her- and I actually spent $400 dollars on her gift and another $100 to ship it. Obviously, all of this was very stupid on my part.
Now, my current girlfriend can't get over the fact that I ever considered spending that much money on that kind of person and it bothers her that I spent $500 on that girl from the past.
She hates guys who had girls in the past and she needs to feel special. She feels that everything I did for her, I'd do for that other girl too- although I've never done anything like that. She's always gotten mad about this kind of stuff with her other boyfriends in the past as well.
What should I do in this situation? I told her that it was a mistake and I was being very stupid since I was young. She didn't feel that it was an acceptable answer and will break up with me unless I can convince her and make her feel that she's the only one. For me, it's a very difficult situation because I tried my best for her, but she's convinced that I'd do that for everyone- although I've never done it for others.
She is really stupid. Your past is none of her business and you are not obligated to spend $$$ on her. Again - she is really stupid.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:44 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
I cannot fathom why you would tell a new girlfriend anything like that.

Did you go into detail about all your dates, all the places you went to together, all your conversations?
Sheesh.

You MADE it her business when you blabbed - bragged? - about how much you spent on the former girlfriend.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:36 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,376 times
Quote:

How old are the two of you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships