Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 03:01 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
It gets childish at a certain point when you're in your mid thirties and playing around on video games all the time and don't have any type of ambition or plan for your life.
I myself have not met a single man who matches what you describe. Perhaps you simply have a particularly low threshold for how you define "Obsession".

Also who says they have no "ambition or plan for their life" exactly? By what standard are you judging this? Your own? Why is the plans and ambitions YOU have for YOUR life a measure by which other people should establish theirs? Why is your chosen life path any more valid than another's - simply because you do not share it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 04:32 AM

388 posts, read 382,974 times
Quote:
I'm tired of running into this crap with men and I'm not going to pretend to care about video gaming just to amuse some guy. It gets childish at a certain point when you're in your mid thirties and playing around on video games all the time and don't have any type of ambition or plan for your life.

I'm in the middle of a real conversation with a guy and ask him a question, and he brings up a Zelda reference that completely takes away from the question I asked this guy.

So I said it's a stupid video game reference. What, we're gonna talk about Chutes and Latters, too? With Monopoly along with Sonic and Candyland and Mario, too?

I guess the bad part is that I think I might have hurt his feelings.
Don't generalize every dude like this.

and stop finding them on gamers dating sites or something

Old 10-01-2015, 04:42 AM

957 posts, read 1,060,282 times
I don't even own a video game system, but I am obsessed with mountain biking/winter sports.

Pick your poison I guess

I went to a Ballet a couple months ago, it was every bit as awful as I imagined it to be.

Compromise.. ya know?

Old 10-01-2015, 05:13 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Considering how I love The Sims 4 and can play for hours, I couldn't really complain about anyone else's gaming.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:17 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
I have never been obsessed with video games. I find them to be an incredible waste of time. In fact I don't even have a single game on my phone. There are far too many productive things to be done. Sitting in front of the tv is not one of them.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:22 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaWilde View Post
Don't generalize every dude like this.

and stop finding them on gamers dating sites or something
I'm not generalizing. I'm talking about HIM. He has no plan for himself. Yes he is 34, yes he does live at home. I never looked down on it until it started getting on my nerves him staying up at night playing games and sleeping at times in the day. I don't feel ignored, he gives me lots of attention that's not the issue. It's that he's a remarkable person and he doesn't have any ambition and I don't understand it.

I was asking him about what his plans are, what kind of lifestyle he wants in a different conversation a couple of days ago. He has no ambition at all and just wants to sleep, eat and play videogames.

He has a job he does on a contract basis that he got through his brother who was a manager at the company at the time. He doesn't even look for other work and wasn't even looking before this one was handed to him.

I guess I'm just harsh about it because I really like him and he seems to just throw away all his talent.I'm thinking maybe it was frustration about that, seemingly stuck in adolescence not wanting to do anything and spending too much time on gaming and it hurts to see him like that. It makes me mad.

I really like him and known him for a long time. I just finally said it's stupid and I know it hurt his feelings because he got really quiet and didn't say anything else but goodnight.

Last edited by Yiuppy; 10-01-2015 at 05:31 AM..

Old 10-01-2015, 05:27 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,415 times
I haven't played video games in years since I had an Atari in high school. I enjoyed playing asteroids and warlords. However when I got out of high school that ended. I didn't have time to when I was in college between classes, working and band. My passion now (and for years) has been live music. The bottom line here is most people have something they are passionate about. If it's not something that you can deal with your best option is to move on. There are plenty of people who aren't into video games, as evidenced by the responses here.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:30 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,011 times
I've never owned a video game console. When I was growing up my parents didn't have the money for that and by the time I had my own money I was too old to get into it.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:39 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
I'm not generalizing. I'm talking about HIM. He has no plan for himself. Yes he is 34, yes he does live at home. I never looked down on it until it started getting on my nerves him staying up at night playing games and sleeping at times in the day. I don't feel ignored, he gives me lots of attention that's not the issue. It's that he's a remarkable person and he doesn't have any ambition and I don't understand it.

I was asking him about what his plans are, what kind of lifestyle he wants in a different conversation a couple of days ago. He has no ambition at all and just wants to sleep, eat and play videogames.

He has a job he does on a contract basis that he got through his brother who was a manager at the company at the time. He doesn't even look for other work and wasn't even looking before this one was handed to him.

I guess I'm just harsh about it because I really like him and he seems to just throw away all his talent.I'm thinking maybe it was frustration about that, seemingly stuck in adolescence not wanting to do anything and spending too much time on gaming and it hurts to see him like that. It makes me mad.

I really like him and known him for a long time. I just finally said it's stupid and I know it hurt his feelings because he got really quiet and didn't say anything else but goodnight.
Okay, so the two of you are not a good match. You were harsh and hurt his feelings, but at least you forced the breakup instead of trying to nag him into something he's not. How miserable for both of you. Onwards and upwards.

By the way, my husband and I each have our own XBox Ones and we play together, though not lately. We grew tired of killing Crota in Destiny and have not decided whether to play The Taken King yet. But winter is coming and gaming is a nice pastime when it's dark and snowy.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:03 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I have never been obsessed with video games. I find them to be an incredible waste of time. In fact I don't even have a single game on my phone. There are far too many productive things to be done. Sitting in front of the tv is not one of them.
Is EVERY minute of our lives meant to be productive? Sometimes you should take a break from "productivity" and rest yourself. Video games are just one medium meant to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships