Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Okay or not?
Okay (I'm a guy) 10 38.46%
Not okay (guy) 7 26.92%
Okay (girl) 5 19.23%
Not okay (girl) 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 06:59 PM

4 posts, read 2,393 times

Advertisements

Hello, people. I'd like to know your opinion on this. I live with my girlfriend and she was busy doing some school stuff this evening so I was playing some games, when she told me she was finished, I needed like a couple of minutes to get to a checkpoint so I asked her to wait, but by the time I was finished she had already fallen asleep.
I wasn't tired so I kept playing for another 90 minutes or so and then I went to bed. She woke up all mad at me, insisting that it's not okay and that no other guy would behave like this.
My opinion is, that since I'm not 13 anymore I shouldn't have to ask anyone for permission to stay up late and play and she shouldn't try to limit me, just because she thinks playing a game till 1:30AM is not a normal thing to do. But then again, maybe I am wrong and maybe I've actually acted wrong/I should not stay up late if she doesn't want me to. I'd like to find out so I'm asking all of you : Do you consider my opinion okay?

PS : I'm not here to complain, or seek approval, sorry if it seems like the case. I'm just genuinely interested what majority of people think about this because I've been surprised before.

Last edited by Seenilh; 10-19-2015 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 07:02 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Personally, I think playing video games for hours is juvenile.

You may have to choose the games or her... which will it be?

Old 10-19-2015, 07:04 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seenilh View Post
Hello, people. I'd like to know your opinion on this. I live with my girlfriend and she was busy doing some school stuff this evening so I was playing some games, when she told me she was finished, I needed like a couple of minutes to get to a checkpoint so I asked her to wait, but by the time I was finished she had already fallen asleep.
I wasn't tired so I kept playing for another 90 minutes or so and then I went to bed. She woke up all mad at me, insisting that it's not okay and that no other guy would behave like this.
My opinion is, that since I'm not 13 anymore I shouldn't have to ask anyone for permission to stay up late and play and she shouldn't try to limit me, just because she thinks playing a game till 1:30AM is not a normal thing to do. But then again, maybe I am wrong and maybe I've actually done something wrong/I should let her tell me when to go to bed. I'd like to find out so I'm asking all of you : Do you consider my opinion okay?
Did the bolded actually take a couple of minutes or more like a couple of hours? If it's the latter, than I can understand her being mad.

My opinion if you ain't got to work the next day and the woman is knocked out anyway, there shouldn't be a damn thing wrong with playing a game until 1:30am. Me and my boys used to play wave after wave on Gears of War for many overnights. My boys are still married and active fathers so obviously gaming ain't hurt them.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:07 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
My opinion is, that since I'm not 13 anymore I shouldn't have to ask anyone for permission to stay up late and play and she shouldn't try to limit me, just because she thinks playing a game till 1:30AM is not a normal thing to do. But then again, maybe I am wrong and maybe I've actually done something wrong/I should let her tell me when to go to bed. I'd like to find out so I'm asking all of you : Do you consider my opinion okay?

Okay, now that this is out of your system, get your homework done, take out the trash, pick up your socks, quit playing and go to bed...

Old 10-19-2015, 07:12 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times
If she wanted to have sex and you chose to play your game instead? then I think you're dumb, in my humble opinion.

Game isn't going anywhere, dude...take care of your woman!

Old 10-19-2015, 07:21 PM

4 posts, read 2,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Okay, now that this is out of your system, get your homework done, take out the trash, pick up your socks, quit playing and go to bed...
Thanks for your advice, this was not the point tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
If she wanted to have sex and you chose to play your game instead? then I think you're dumb, in my humble opinion.

Game isn't going anywhere, dude...take care of your woman!
Trust me I'd never chose to play over sex. I just no longer feel the need to fall asleep together every night after over two years.

Last edited by Seenilh; 10-19-2015 at 07:33 PM..

Old 10-19-2015, 10:17 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,458,244 times
Respect goes both ways regardless of the event or task you where in the middle of.
that's all I can really say.

she is most likely angry and feeling like you care more about your game than her since you wouldn't drop the moment she became available and then on top of that you made her wait around until she gave up on you.

Only you know how long your took to get to her, one or two minutes is nothing worth flipping out over, but if you where playing an additional 15 or 30 I could see where the seeds of resentment would start to plant themselves.

Last edited by rego00123; 10-19-2015 at 10:27 PM..

Old 10-19-2015, 10:23 PM

238 posts, read 223,003 times
Quote:
My opinion is, that since I'm not 13 anymore I shouldn't have to ask anyone for permission to stay up late and play and she shouldn't try to limit me, just because she thinks playing a game till 1:30AM is not a normal thing to do. But then again, maybe I am wrong and maybe I've actually acted wrong/I should not stay up late if she doesn't want me to. I'd like to find out so I'm asking all of you : Do you consider my opinion okay?

PS : I'm not here to complain, or seek approval, sorry if it seems like the case. I'm just genuinely interested what majority of people think about this because I've been surprised before.
From what you said, you didn't do anything wrong. From what you said, she seems a bit controlling and demanding. Keep the game, reconsider the girl..

Seriously, ask her why she gets so bent out of shape over nothing. I don't believe that we have to go to sleep when our partner does. Some believe that, but I don't. If a partner has to get up early and one doesn't, why can't the other stay up later? Of course I also believe in giving someone a little space. You were just enjoying yourself. Why would that bother her so much? She was already asleep.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:28 PM

238 posts, read 223,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Respect goes both ways regardless of the event or task you where in the middle of.
that's all I can really say.

If you kept playing for another 30 mins and you had someone waiting on you I could see where the anger would come from.

she is probably angry and feeling like you care more about your game than her since you wouldn't drop the moment she became available and then on top of that you made her wait around until she gave up on you.
But where is the respect from her? Maybe he wasn't ready to drop it on demand. What is so wrong with that? It's not like he blew her off for some major plan. She was sleeping. Maybe he wasn't tired. Now, if she had some "fun" in mind, perhaps a little communication wouldn't hurt. People can't read minds. That's all just speculation anyway.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:38 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,458,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyslope93 View Post
But where is the respect from her? Maybe he wasn't ready to drop it on demand. What is so wrong with that? It's not like he blew her off for some major plan. She was sleeping. Maybe he wasn't tired. Now, if she had some "fun" in mind, perhaps a little communication wouldn't hurt. People can't read minds. That's all just speculation anyway.
That's what I was implying.

I have no way of knowing how long he dimissed her to hit the save point in his game, so I can't make a judgment either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships