Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 06:15 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I think it is a fictional account of fictional women who lived in a very specific place during a specific time MANY years ago. The women are generalized stereotypes.

It's not exactly relevant now. They did not even have cell phones then.
Carrie et al had cell phones. In fact, her cell phone was a major topic in many episodes. A flip phone is still a cell phone! Good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 06:33 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Read some review about the show one time and they were talking about how silly the show is or whatever and the guy was going off about how Carry is always buying these really expensive designer shoes and living in Manhattan on a columnist salary, which apparently they don't make all that much money...

LOL, people get too involved in the minutia sometime, the show is supposed to be a light little guilty pleasure.... not supposed to think too much......
Agreed. I mean, the people on Friends never could have afforded those apartments. They were HUGE!!!

Old 10-03-2015, 06:57 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
The show was about the perils and aging of carousel riders. This show was propaganda to turn more women into riders.

Remember when Carrie cheating on Aidan? The classic thrown carousel rider moment, you don't know what you have until it's gone.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:01 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
The show was about the perils and aging of carousel riders. This show was propaganda to turn more women into riders.

Remember when Carrie cheating on Aidan? The classic thrown carousel rider moment, you don't know what you have until it's gone.
The only one of the group who was promiscuous was Samantha.

Besides that how many episodes did you watch? You really don't seem like the type, but glad your in touch with your feminine side.... or was it a shoe thing?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-03-2015, 07:03 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Carrie et al had cell phones. In fact, her cell phone was a major topic in many episodes. A flip phone is still a cell phone! Good grief.
Smart phones. Good grief.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:29 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
I think it is a fictional account of fictional women who lived in a very specific place during a specific time MANY years ago. The women are generalized stereotypes.

It's not exactly relevant now. They did not even have cell phones then.
It was your terminology. Good bye.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:41 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
A lot of the situations were relatable, regardless of their lifestyles. I think you also find the same personalities in every day life: the goody-goody romantic (Charlotte), the cynical hardass (Miranda), the do-whatever-I-please sex fiend (Samantha), and the flighty drama queen (Carrie).

Old 10-04-2015, 01:18 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I still think it's relevant today. At the heart of the show, it's really about lasting friendships.
This.

Behind the fashions of the time and materialism of the setting and the framing of the stories around travails of love lives, it was mostly about the strength of female friendships.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:07 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clam84 View Post
Ok, I'll try not to embarrass myself by admitting I watched a chick show but maybe I've already done it

So I was on Amazon Prime to watch something while this monsoon blows through and noticed they loaded six seasons of Sex & The City. Intrigued, I watched a few episodes and admit it was entertaining to get the female perspective on dating and sex. Question is, how authentic is it? True to form, pure Hollywood, or a mixture of the two? Who do you relate to and why?

I'm sure to be blasted by the guys but what the hell, the good football games don't come on til later tonight. Besides, if it's deemed as generally authentic from the ladies then it's the same as asking their opinion about their perspective in the open forum. Nothing serious here, just a general question about if the show depicts their views adequately.
Not by me...I watched it, too, but (full disclosure), I was mildly irritated by it but watched it anyway .

[for Charlotte...she was the cutie]

Old 10-04-2015, 03:58 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Flip phones.
Are those not considered cell phones? Great if so! Then I still haven't gotten a cell phone yet!!

In answer to the question though, the television show sure doesn't relate to me. Regarding dating and related things I'm old-fashioned and socially conservative (dating just for marriage, no sex before marriage--which I gather isn't a theme of the show but maybe I'm wrong--and stuff like that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships