Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:58 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,801,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Probably Texans, from time to time. Ie, "Drive 70, FREEZE A YANKEE!". The bumper sticker may be 40 years old or so, but I don't think other Texans would look at one oddly for using such a term.

IN ANY EVENT, one of the reasons why I never really got that much into S & TC was because their concepts were so different from mine. Where it seemed there were constant parties on the side walks any time of the day. Everything was a comfortable walk away. Things could be delivered to your door any time of the day.

Okay, maybe that works for NYC (and in the show, it seemed like a very clean NYC), perhaps it is like that in Austin, but for a lot of us, not only do we not live in places like that, we can't afford to live and play in places like that. Live and work, perhaps, but not live and play.

The world I saw displayed in that show was a utopia..............and the world just isn't that way.
Holy cow. LOL! You make New Yorkers sound like aliens from the planet PARTAY!

Born and bred New Yorker here. Of course most people, even those who live in the city, don't have the time or money to party every night.

The show was zeroed in on a fantasy version of a very specific set of New Yorkers... those involved in the fashion/entertainment/arts/media trade. Those are the only people who frequent parties during the week because that is the only industry that has promo events up the wazoo. And if you remember, one of the characters was a professional party planner/PR type, one was a newspaper columnist, and one worked at an art gallery so they got comped to a lot of events. I assure you most New Yorkers are not those people. Also, those events are not so fun. I used to go to some of those things, and most people are there because they need to be there to network. It gets old quick.

I will say as much as people complain about the show being a fantasy (and to a large degree it was) there really are people who work in those industries who go to tons of events, and do so trying to wear the latest fashions. These women scour sample sales and try to get comped clothes from hot designers, or they are trust fund babies who have the money. The show took it to an extreme but that really does happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 09:03 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,029,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I will say as much as people complain about the show being a fantasy (and to a large degree it was) there really are people who work in those industries who go to tons of events, and do so trying to wear the latest fashions. These women scour sample sales and try to get comped clothes from hot designers, or they are trust fund babies who have the money. The show took it to an extreme but that really does happen.

There is truth to this (now more than ever).

I just found it weird that people discussed this show like it was a documentary.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:43 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,928,514 times
Quote:
Holy cow. LOL! You make New Yorkers sound like aliens from the planet PARTAY!

Born and bred New Yorker here. Of course most people, even those who live in the city, don't have the time or money to party every night.
Agreed. That was one of the things about "Friends" (which I believe I only ever saw one episode) as might have been described in a psychology journal. "HS Students with an overly healthy TV watching habit believe they are going to graduate, get jobs where they are paid a lot, don't have to do much, and have lots of free time." (my paraphrasing). The article didn't mention that show specifically, but it was rather apparent what they were talking about.

Quote:
.........The show was zeroed in on a fantasy version of a very specific set of New Yorkers... those involved in the fashion/entertainment/arts/media trade. Those are the only people who frequent parties during the week because that is the only industry that has promo events up the wazoo. And if you remember, one of the characters was a professional party planner/PR type, one was a newspaper columnist, and one worked at an art gallery so they got comped to a lot of events. I assure you most New Yorkers are not those people. Also, those events are not so fun. I used to go to some of those things, and most people are there because they need to be there to network. It gets old quick.

Well, if you say so. I never really watched that much of the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I get what you meant. I never thought of it that way, but an urban northerner would watch the show from a totally different perspective, than someone in Podunk, TX.
Your Podunk is not far from the truth.

One of my issues with working in an ops center is I have the Internet and big screens TV in my face 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I have this constant display of how bright, how wonderful our world is.......and then (up to 6 months ago), I go home to small apartments in central Texas. Quite a drop off.

Now, over time, I've adjusted, more since I have moved out of the apartments......and more as I work to fight Internet addiction (hey, I'm not perfect). It is still something, though, at the back of the mind.

THE OTHER THING about S & TC and me is that it is about New Yorkers being watched by a cowgirl. Without directly speaking about "Forbidden Subjects", they don't wear holsters. A life such as that, without that possibility, is like looking at another planet............

.................by the way, I never got into "Desperate Housewives", either. I would watch it with Mom as polite company but it didn't take many episodes till I was rather despising it.

To sum it up, are women really like that, could they really be like that in such an ideal environment? Plausibly but it would help A LOT if that was the only environment they had ever known.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 10-07-2015 at 12:56 AM..

Old 10-07-2015, 05:51 AM

50,640 posts, read 36,320,497 times
I always found it very true to the way women think and feel.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:07 AM

125 posts, read 123,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I think it is a fictional account of fictional women who lived in a very specific place during a specific time MANY years ago. The women are generalized stereotypes.

It's not exactly relevant now. They did not even have cell phones then.
It wasn't THAT long ago. It was the late 90's to early/mid 2000's, as I recall. They most certainly would have had cell phones.

The most unrealistic thing about the show, IMO, was the same thing that was so unrealistic about Friends and Seinfeld, which was that it featured people who managed to live fairly leisurely lifestyles in nice apartments in Manhattan despite having low-paying jobs (such as freelance journalist). Otherwise it wasn't bad for what it was.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:28 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,846,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18th&BlueIsland View Post
It wasn't THAT long ago. It was the late 90's to early/mid 2000's, as I recall. They most certainly would have had cell phones.
We've further unpacked that point already, later in the thread.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:06 AM

50,640 posts, read 36,320,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18th&BlueIsland View Post

The most unrealistic thing about the show, IMO, was the same thing that was so unrealistic about Friends and Seinfeld, which was that it featured people who managed to live fairly leisurely lifestyles in nice apartments in Manhattan despite having low-paying jobs (such as freelance journalist). Otherwise it wasn't bad for what it was.
I agree, however SJP was not a freelance journalist, she was a columnist with a regular column (entitled (Sex in the City). They even advertised her column on the sides of busses, you'd see them go by during the show sometimes.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:45 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,220,461 times
I was always fascinated by the apartments they had, and were able to afford without roomates! In those days I lived in Queens, which is cheaper than Manhattan, and we were all working 2+ jobs to pay for tiny studios with kitchens that were little more than 2 cabinets and a hot plate.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:17 PM

347 posts, read 424,865 times
The lavish lifestyles and apartments portrayed don't match the income of their occupations. So that's not an accurate portrayal.

But as far as characters go, I relate to aspects of each character on the show. Sometimes bitter and completely jaded like Miranda, lusting after another man like Carrie, just wanting to use guys for sex like Samantha and prudishly waiting for the right guy like Charlotte. I'm re-watching them now because dating is such a freak show circus and it's quite cathartic. So, I'd say yes, the show has very realistic aspects to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships