Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2015, 10:51 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
There are plenty of studies to support my assertions. I'm not looking for reasons to be slighted.

Let me know what area you live in because I almost never see this. On the rare occasions that I do see this, I'm very surprised by it so I tend to remember it.
I live in New York. I think it's more common than you think. You probably only notice it when it's a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 10:58 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
I have seen women taller than their mates, even though I haven't personally gone out with a guy shorter than me. I would have to look really hard to find one shorter than me....lol.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:31 AM

405 posts, read 325,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
If a pretty woman is with a below average he is loaded or she's using him.
This is probably likely. If she's with at least an average guy it's likely his personality that comes into play. I just don't see how a guy that's a 3 can get with a woman that's a 9 unless he has a lot of money. It's hard to believe that a real attractive woman would get with a guy that's many leagues below her in looks unless he had money. With an average guy I can see personality coming into play though that wins her over.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:32 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
How is that a fact? She cited absolutely zero statistics. It's no more of a fact than my statement was.
Uh.
It is pretty universally true that men are taller than women on average.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:38 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
Quote:
Yes, you may see a more physically attractive woman with a less physically attractive man, BUT how often will you see a height-mismatched couple? Almost never. I can't remember the last time I've seen a couple where the man is shorter than the woman.
My wife is 4" taller than I am. I don't see it often myself...but it happens.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:45 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoninternetguy View Post
This question comes from a place where you believe men and women think exactly the same. Reality is men and women are attracted to the opposite sex in vastly different ways.

Men are extremely visual and the majority of attraction to a woman, at least initially, is based on her looks.

For women, his personality, charisma, status, etc all play a much bigger role in his level of attractiveness.

So while you see a hot chick and a mediocre looking guy, the reality is his level of attractiveness isn't just based on his looks.
This sums it up, /thread. There is no "motive", as in--an ulterior motive. Generally speaking, women go for a guy's personality and integrity, they go for a guy who makes them feel great, who's fun or generally upbeat. (We all know there are exceptions.) How good a person someone is can't be observed from a distance, so to some observers, it may seem that a couple is mismatched, but that can be a false conclusion based only on appearances.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This sums it up, /thread. There is no "motive", as in--an ulterior motive. Generally speaking, women go for a guy's personality and integrity, they go for a guy who makes them feel great, who's fun or generally upbeat. (We all know there are exceptions.) How good a person someone is can't be observed from a distance, so to some observers, it may seem that a couple is mismatched, but that can be a false conclusion based only on appearances.
It's probably mostly personality & status. I highly doubt an attractive woman would date an unattractive guy if he had a good personality but lacked a good job. Usually those guys would get friend zoned. Basically an unattractive guy would need a great personality, good charisma, a great job, & has to be somewhat tall to get an attractive woman.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:05 PM

491 posts, read 402,545 times
Here you go. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey data. Pretty widely used big data set. Reports that the mean height of men during the survey period was 69 inches, mean height of women was 64 inches.

http://loristalter.com/wp-content/up..._1960_2002.pdf

Men in the US, generally, are taller than women in the US, generally. Specific men in the US may be shorter than specific women in the US.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetelle View Post
Here you go. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey data. Pretty widely used big data set. Reports that the mean height of men during the survey period was 69 inches, mean height of women was 64 inches.

http://loristalter.com/wp-content/up..._1960_2002.pdf

Men in the US, generally, are taller than women in the US, generally. Specific men in the US may be shorter than specific women in the US.
lol I can't believe another thread has turned into issues about height. But to be fair to Akonyo, I don't see taller women with shorter guys much myself. If they are taller it's likely due to them wearing heels.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:34 PM

491 posts, read 402,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey4Life View Post
lol I can't believe another thread has turned into issues about height. But to be fair to Akonyo, I don't see taller women with shorter guys much myself. If they are taller it's likely due to them wearing heels.
I can't believe it either, but if I'm asked to provide data to show that men are taller than women, I'll oblige.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships