Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2015, 06:48 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,116,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Yeah, wasn't there some saying about, if you want to sleep soundly at night knowing your significant other isn't cheating on you, date/marry someone who is less attractive than you.
Actually, I've known people that cheated on their partners because they felt inferior looks wise. Doesn't make sense to me but how attractive someone is doesn't determine their faithfulness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 06:55 PM

37,330 posts, read 61,154,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnidroid View Post
It's obviously about the money.

A less than attractive man can get a girl with better looks if he has enough money.

Money changes everything.
Obviously

Old 10-04-2015, 07:00 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,175,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Actually, I've known people that cheated on their partners because they felt inferior looks wise. Doesn't make sense to me but how attractive someone is doesn't determine their faithfulness.
Agreed. Someone less attractive could cheat because if they feel lesser than their partner, they aren't faithful because they're seeking validation. If they have a SO, but someone else wants them, it validates them that multiple people, or someone other than their SO could.

Faithfulness or lack of just depends on the person. An ugly person can cheat, and so can a hot person. Reasons

1. Lack of Willpower - they have a SO, but they have the chance to be with someone different / hotter, and they're desire for that outweighs their consideration to their partner.
2. Low self-esteem, and seeking validation. Anyone can have that. Even people who are seen as hot, but they themselves don't think they are.
3. Non-Monogamous . But they act like they're mono to get the SO they want, but then are content to just run around on them later. Have their cake and eat it too.

It's like confidence. Anyone can be confident. There could be a woman who looks like a car backed over her face, but far as she's concerned, she's hot crap. Then you have a cuter, or even hot, girl with no confidence at all that picks apart everything about herself, despite others thinking she's good-looking. Looks don't necessarily have any bearing on one's character.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:08 PM

37,494 posts, read 45,798,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey4Life View Post
Yeah, I'd think so myself. Some here somewhat say otherwise though. They do definitely need to have a lot going for them at minimum to get the hot woman. As I said, it's like why would an attractive woman with a good personality pick an unattractive guy when she could pretty much get with any guy she wants. If there's two men & one guy is attractive & has a good personality & career against an unattractive guy with a good personality & career. Why in the world would she choose an unattractive guy when she has the options of infinite amount of attractive men with good personalities in her own league.

Here you go.

Why ugly men always attract the prettiest women | Daily Mail Online

It

7 Reasons Why Attractive Women Often Date Unattractive Men

Why Pretty Women Prefer Plain Men - Netscape Love

I don't understand why this is news to anyone.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:24 PM

405 posts, read 323,595 times
So, from this it seems that the woman gets with the average/below average guy to make herself feel better about herself. Since if she got with a guy on the same level of looks she assumes he'd cheat.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:40 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,282,845 times
Quote:
Obviously, what I said wasn't absolute, and I do believe less attractive people can cheat just like attractive people can cheat. I'm just thinking that the attractive people are hoping that since their SO is less attractive there would be less of a chance they would leave/cheat on them. I'm not saying that their thinking/theory is correct or rational.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:40 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,816,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
There's a break in the logic here.

If we see hot chicks with men that aren't their equivalent and we see them pretty frequently, how is it that women "barely" care about looks less then men??? Couldn't we extrapolate that women might be a bit more forgiving in the looks requirements????

My whole life I've seen hot chicks with dudes and I've wondered what the hell.

I've hardly ever seen really studly looking dudes with sloppy looking women, of course it happens, but not nearly as much as the other way around.
This must be be one of the only times I've disagreed with you, Chow. Yes, seeing attractive women with not-so-attractive men probably IS more common, but seeing attractive men - sometimes VERY attractive men - with less attractive women is more common than we think.

Not a thing wrong with that. In fact, I think it's refreshing that a (good-looking) guy considers other qualities in a woman, other than looks, to be important.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 10-04-2015 at 07:49 PM..

Old 10-04-2015, 07:48 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,816,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Yeah, wasn't there some saying about, if you want to sleep soundly at night knowing your significant other isn't cheating on you, date/marry someone who is less attractive than you.
Quote:
I agree with Dewdroplet. Saying that attractive people are more likely to cheat is kind of like saying that the less attractive a person is, the kinder and more honorable he/she is. FWIW, I've known quite a few men (and women) who've cheated on their spouses, and not one of them was attractive.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:50 PM

252 posts, read 187,432 times
Men and women perceive attractiveness differently. Case closed

Old 10-04-2015, 07:53 PM

491 posts, read 401,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoninternetguy View Post
Men and women perceive attractiveness differently. Case closed
Ok then. I guess we can shut down the City-Data relationships forum. Thanks new poster!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships