Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 03:03 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey4Life View Post
Not at all, I'm just stating that a lot of guys want to be with someone that's attractive. Not that they'll dump their g/f to get with someone more attractive, that's ridiculous.
Based on your posts, it doesn't seem ridiculous at all.

Bottom line, most people that fall in love, fall in love with the person - with the whole package, as my husband says. So, even though you may look at a hot woman with a below average man and think that she has some sort of agenda or that he has to be rich - perhaps she just loves him for the whole package. And maybe he loves her for MORE than just how hot you think she is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 03:08 PM

405 posts, read 325,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post

Bottom line, most people that fall in love, fall in love with the person - with the whole package, as my husband says. So, even though you may look at a hot woman with a below average man and think that she has some sort of agenda or that he has to be rich - perhaps she just loves him for the whole package. And maybe he loves her for MORE than just how hot you think she is.
Perhaps, but do you really believe that's the case all the time?

Old 10-08-2015, 03:11 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,401 times
Quote:
Nothing is the case all the time. But more often than not, most of the time people fall in love with the person.. not their looks, not their money... the whole package. Are there gold diggers or shallow Hal's out there, sure. But most people aren't like that. Most people have feelings.

I am sorry buddy, you are either being purposefully obtuse or you are somewhere out on the spectrum if you can't understand that people can actually love and care about each other beyond superficial things.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:12 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post

And even with online dating, people are never really confronted with a line-up of prospective partners where they can choose "the hottest they can get." You meet people individually as you go about your life, and if you click, it's on. It's not just about looks, and it's not about objectifying people. I don't know how many more times we can say that.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:13 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
All the time? Of course not. Nothing is true all the time when you are dealing with human beings. When I see a grey-haired man in his 60's with a 20 something model on his arm - of course I think that he's with her because she's a model and she's with him for his money. But that isn't the case for ALL couples in which the woman is far more attractive. And that might not even be true for that particular couple. Just because I think something less than nice doesn't mean it's actually the case.

One of my roommates used to say that I could do better than the guys I was dating because she thought I was so much more attractive than they were. She knew I had some self esteem issues and although it was off base - it was kindly meant. The thing is - I thought the guys that I dated were super hot because of the whole package. They were insanely talented, incredibly intelligent, super funny, and I had a wonderful time with them. With most people, it's about the whole package.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:21 PM

405 posts, read 325,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Nothing is the case all the time. But more often than not, most of the time people fall in love with the person.. not their looks, not their money... the whole package. Are there gold diggers or shallow Hal's out there, sure. But most people aren't like that. Most people have feelings.

I am sorry buddy, you are either being purposefully obtuse or you are somewhere out on the spectrum if you can't understand that people can actually love and care about each other beyond superficial things.
Of course I know people can fall for each other beyond superficial things. But it doesn't hurt at all with being attractive & having a good job. No woman is going to date a broke guy or someone with low income, especially if she wants kids eventually, even if he has a great personality. I hate to use online dating again as an example, but you're allowed to change your specific preferences on most sites in terms of height & income preferences. I've seen for myself when I was on there where a lot of women who stated they only made like 20-30gs a year putting they want a guy to make close to 6 figures under their preferences.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:40 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Of course I know people can fall for each other beyond superficial things. But it doesn't hurt at all with being attractive & having a good job. No woman is going to date a broke guy or someone with low income, especially if she wants kids eventually, even if he has a great personality. I hate to use online dating again as an example, but you're allowed to change your specific preferences on most sites in terms of height & income preferences. I've seen for myself when I was on there where a lot of women who stated they only made like 20-30gs a year putting they want a guy to make close to 6 figures under their preferences.

I think your views are skewed by online dating. Online dating is not the real world. Go out into the real world and do things and interact with real women. You will find things are different.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:01 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,207 times
It's more often than you think

Mostly because women know the "ugly" will treat her right to be by her side, often the "good looking guys" are also cheaters.

Also there is the hidden benefit if the guy has money or if he is funny.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:54 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,875 times
For power in the relationship..

Old 10-08-2015, 07:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
How many times are guys going to ask these types of questions before they stop with their baloney stereotyping?

I learned this a very long time ago, when I was in the military, surrounded by guys of all looks, shapes, and sizes.

New guy comes in. Dang, he's good looking! At first, he's also funny because I think, "daaang, he's good looking". But then, as time goes on, you realize he's a one trick pony with the one liners, and the more he speaks, the uglier he gets because he actually is NOT a nice person at all.

Then there's the nerd who no one pays attention to. You realize that you have a common interest, and while you're not actually 'interested' in them, what the heck, make a new friend. So you go and do that common interest, and as time goes on, and he keeps talking, you realize that, "daaaang, he's actually good looking".

I don't know how many times we have to tell you guys: It's NOT the "hottest" guys, nor their stupid wallets, that matter. It's the person that matters. It really is.
I'll share a story about me from college. There was a guy I met in a club (i.e student activity group). I thought he was super hot (tall, dark, handsome, with an accent, as you can imagine he was really popular). The next year we lived in the same door. I was really excited. At the beginning of the year there was a party, and I went with a friend that knew him, so she introduced us. I talked to him for a couple minutes at the party and it was a snooze fest. He was soon boring. I ended up meeting his roommate the same evening. Based on CD logic I should have eliminated him immediately, he is 5'6".

Turns out he was also attractive and also really east to talk to! We ended up talking for the whole rest of the party, and I forgot all about his roommate. And the rest of the story is better for another thread! He won me over by having an awesome (and complementary to me) personality. Oh and good dance moves, but that is another story.

P.S. The pair of them were pretty much the "hottest" guys that year in the dorm....everyone was trying to talk to those too. Interestingly, most people ended up feeling the same about my original crush as I did. He was a bore. I met his girlfriends. They were boring too.

For most women, it is personality that really sells the guy to her. Not looks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships