Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:48 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times

Advertisements

How long have you known the deceased and was it just through the guy? That is the situation it sounds like. It's HIS friend and he deserves to be able to go to the funeral of his BFF without an awkward situation.

And also - "bear in mind he's a giant baby and his BFF just died" sounds super sympathetic. Maybe you're Sketchy One?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 11:59 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
If he wasn't involved would you still go?

Old 10-06-2015, 12:23 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
Here's just another case of not only women, but men do this as well, of spending too much time burning brain cells on people who just don't matter. Why continuously get involved with someone like this? I suspect nothing better has came along and this guy keeps coming back like a sad puppy dog. That's dating for a lot of people. A very short period of surplus with a longish period of drought.

Dating was a workout for me, and now that I'm seeing someone, it's even more of a workout, but in a good way (not talking sex). The issue isn't the friends funeral, but why is "Sketchy" getting some much access to your mental state?

Old 10-06-2015, 12:35 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
How long have you known the deceased and was it just through the guy? That is the situation it sounds like. It's HIS friend and he deserves to be able to go to the funeral of his BFF without an awkward situation.

And also - "bear in mind he's a giant baby and his BFF just died" sounds super sympathetic. Maybe you're Sketchy One?
And did this even really happen?

Old 10-06-2015, 12:46 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Yes, amazingly enough .....PEOPLE DIE

and they do so unexpectedly. This guy also had the misfortune to pass away while on overseas holiday so theres been a heap of delays and also a massive cost to medivacing him.

To answer the Genuine Questions;

1. yes I totally agree I have been sketchy too (mainly bc I never trusted him)
2. no I don't know the fambly, at all (he was living with someone who gave him a hard time)
3. yes I did know the deceased, but only through sketchy, and feel a personal debt to him as he was very kind to me when not many people are
4. I try to avoid funerals all I can because they are not nice
5. decision made, I wont go.

Thanks all for your help.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:09 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
Good decision. I was going to post that as someone who would look for any excuse to avoid a funeral, I can't see a single reason to go.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:42 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
And did this even really happen?
I can believe the situation happened, but I think it is weird to consider going to your on/off ex of 10 month's best friend's funeral when you really only have a minimal acquaintanceship with the deceased through said ex. To me, that is a little sketchy.

Even the title of this thread is awkward. "Sketchy Rides Again" - what is Sketchy riding again or is this something made up to believe that there is more things to tie you to your ex so you can randomly run into him and ride again!? I don't get it.

It would never be an issue with me that this is my ex's best friend and this is his territory. He knows the family, the friends, the other loved ones, and should be allowed to grieve his friend without it being some weird dramatic thing that his ex shows up to despite not being good friends with the guy.

Sounds like that is what you are doing, so good call.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:51 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I can believe the situation happened, but I think it is weird to consider going to your on/off ex of 10 month's best friend's funeral when you really only have a minimal acquaintanceship with the deceased through said ex. To me, that is a little sketchy.

Even the title of this thread is awkward. "Sketchy Rides Again" - what is Sketchy riding again or is this something made up to believe that there is more things to tie you to your ex so you can randomly run into him and ride again!? I don't get it.

It would never be an issue with me that this is my ex's best friend and this is his territory. He knows the family, the friends, the other loved ones, and should be allowed to grieve his friend without it being some weird dramatic thing that his ex shows up to despite not being good friends with the guy.

Sounds like that is what you are doing, so good call.
We are all kindof old, so no weird dramatic thing would happen.

All I would be is a face in a sea of faces. I've thought about arriving late and leaving early, it will be standing room only so barely anyone would notice although i'll know heaps of people there.

I had a conversation with Friend C in the weekend, who is Sketchys OTHER BFF, and he said, and I quote

"Andy loved you, he really loved you a lot"

So, its actually out of respect for the deceased guy. Pretty much. He lent me cash when I was in a bind (which I immediately repaid) so its really just for him. To say goodbye.

And isn't that what funerals are supposed to be for?

Old 10-06-2015, 01:53 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

You're reaching just so you can see that loser you're "dating". Stop it.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:43 PM

491 posts, read 402,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

No. Funerals are for the living. Andy is gone. Unless you two were super close, no one is going to think twice about the fact that you're not there. Even if you were close, people grieve differently. I think you've made the right decision to sit this one out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships