Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:15 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times

Advertisements

Uncanny topic!

One of my objectives in joining this very site was potentially exploring dating-opportunities. How's it working out thus far? Rather pathetically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 06:33 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Uncanny topic!

One of my objectives in joining this very site was potentially exploring dating-opportunities. How's it working out thus far? Rather pathetically.
Lol!

Old 10-08-2015, 07:17 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Well I would think so, but there are certain factors a forum does not address:

1) Most people have minimal threshold of physical attractiveness they would at least want in a 'mystery person' to meet before engaging in potential romantic endeavor (I surmise this is a sliding scale with it being more important for younger crowd (reproductive age) and that those looking for partners past a certain age (non reproductive years) may have slightly different threshold and 'weighted' variables in what makes a member of opposite sex desirable.

2) As others mentioned: proximity is vital. Not many people can pick up and travel or like wise move a great distance to pursue the seeming love of their life met via the internet. Especially, in todays techno driven fast paced life styles.

3) From my time on line for about two years, I went out of my way to convey the breadth of thought process (as in a forum) for those viewing my profile and nary one referenced reading (journal entries / perusing my answers to questions where you could explain your rationale behind the answer you chose)
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...l#post33506162

So, while I *think* forums would be a good avenue to meet someone, as you can get a good sense of them if they have a rich posting history. It may be interpreted as *creepy* to use an overused phrase to broach meeting. And there's no telling the 'persona' they put forth on C-D in one specific forum is representative.

For instance, if someone did not peruse a lot of my postings in other forums they could get a completely different perception of my "Sybil" other half . You don't know what was going through someone's mind when they were posting. Whereas, at least in OLD the presumption is they are attempting to do so for the express purpose of finding a "complementary match".

I do know from my time meandering the "Halls" of C-D Forums, that there is a good amount of self identifying females posting on this site, whom I am certain, based on their vast posting would be a delight to meet for conversation. And a couple who also have accompanying photos (or sketch drawings) that do convey a sense of their physical appeal to go along with it. meow

Without items 1 and 2 above vetted, it makes it a moot point. As well as being within a reasonable age range for both parties.

I always thought the best way to meet someone is in person simply to get the physical threshold meter reading and then spend more time communicating in venues such as forums / shared group event etc... to see how they socially interact with others as well as oneself. I had a few occasions in my younger years when it became off putting that the woman seemed to be 'creating an endearing personality' for me but in other environments certain negative traits appeared.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:39 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Uncanny topic!

Half the time, I think most people need a translator to understand your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships