Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 06:47 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,635 times

Advertisements

I hate OLD personally. But I'm short (so I'm automatically filtered out by most women) and a man (which is bad for OLD).

I'm also fairly extroverted and make friends easily. I have no trouble asking women out IRL and I have a good job that conveys relative status. Strangely, none of these things matter online. They do matter IRL though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 06:52 PM

252 posts, read 187,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Once you meet someone, whether it's via a dating site, or a grocery store, the method is the same. No one dates "online". You date in person. Phones calls, texts...etc., for communications. Everything is the same, no matter how you meet. I don't see the difference.
Negative. Netflix and chill is not traditional dating

Old 10-07-2015, 06:59 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
What's traditional dating?
Well, if Jane Austen and her ilk are to be believed, it's going to a ball with a chaperone and a bunch of your sisters and dancing with a wealthy landowner from a neighboring village. If you're lucky, a few days later he'll stop by while you're working on your needlepoint and ask to you go for a walk into town accompanied by a chaperone and a bunch of your sisters.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:59 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
Nope not being sarcastic, I tried the other routes but turned up empty handed so I had to do something. After my second ex I was going to hire a match making service but it was incredibly expensive.

I had the chance to date one woman near the end of my senior year but I was going off to college, I still wonder where I would be in life now had I gone out with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I hope this was sarcasm.

In all of my dating relationships that lasted at least a year, I met one at my high school, one worked at my local grocery store, one I worked with his mom. Another one I met at a bar, but nothing came of it until we ran into each other a year later at a local mall. My ex-husband I met when I was a summer student at his workplace, and my husband and I met through mutual friends. A few guys I briefly dated in between were all met in person as well.

I can't even fathom doing OLD. After my ex-husband and I split up, the thought did cross my mind that it was a whole new dating world than the last time I'd been single 13 years prior. And yet it wasn't that different when meeting peers my age, who still knew how to date "old school". I'm glad I never got to a point where I had to consider OLD an option because I don't think I could have done it.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:23 PM

282 posts, read 219,255 times
If traditional dating means 2 people go out for drinks or eat out or do some activity together to know each other better. Then I did all that when I was online dating.

I specifically used online dating to set up meets. I prefer to meet them right away because face to face interaction is the ONLY way for me to see if we would click.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:28 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoninternetguy View Post
Negative. Netflix and chill is not traditional dating
"Netflix and chill" ? Are you referring to asking a girl out to come over and watch TV?

Yeah that's not a date sweetie.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:01 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
You mean more casual dating vs committed dating? Def. We are now currently living an ADD dating world. Hopefully this will change but chances are slim. If you haven't read Brave New World, you should check it out. It was written 75 years ago but based in the future. Mr. Huxley was writing about us.
Um no. Baby Boomers thought the same thing. So did Gen X. Your generation has no lock on hookup culture.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:48 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
Economic insecurity and modern communications technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships