Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 09:41 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
How do you know this if you never use it?
Family members have told me and a few friends have told me. I trust their word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 03:04 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
I find it slightly amusing when my paid subscription is about to expire and I suddenly start getting messages from women. has this happened to anyone else? Of course the conversation doesn't lead anywhere.

I'm in agreement that OLD is a failed social experiment for the vast majority. In my area the pickings are very slim. A couple here bring up attraction. It's one thing to have things physically not ideal about yourself that you have no control of. It's another when it's clear the women is not trying to look attractive. I have that a lot in my area. Overweight, obese, poorly dressed/ groomed, terrible attitude coming off in their profile, children who are "their world" coming #1 making it very clear you're down the ladder of importance from the beginning. The attitude is a huge turn off.

So the one's I message are generally fairly attractive, probably divorced, with children that look like they still make an effort to look nice. Not exactly holding the bar too high I don't think. Women on the other hand are as mentioned a lot of times weeding out physical characteristics of men on things they have no control over such as height for example. As mentioned, 6 foot plus seems to be on the filter for their 'match' more than not.

The custom messages doesn't work any better than saying 'hi' to someone. I'm in agreement with the post that suggests that many if not the majority of OLD profiles are dead or fake. So time to start saving money and stop donating to the cause which has been costly and fruitless.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:29 AM

186 posts, read 157,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I find it slightly amusing when my paid subscription is about to expire and I suddenly start getting messages from women. has this happened to anyone else? Of course the conversation doesn't lead anyw
I can not speak specifically of the website you refer to, but I know someone who is just paid to message people on such sites (to keep them on the sites).
Many of those sites have people with multiple fake profiles.
Especially women profiles (the ratio man vs female is completely idiotic) are often created to give people the idea there are real women on the site.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:22 AM

562 posts, read 463,921 times
Here are some of the messages that I received in my online dating inbox:

Quote:
You are Attractive! Looks Do Matter! I am College educated Hopeless romantic.Very fit,5`8,180-85,blue eyes with a Muscular build AND My Mom Swears That I am a Great catch! Ex Marine,works in law enforcement.Never married or have kids but would like both with the right lady.

I Am The REAL Deal That TRULY Seeks The Real Thing! And I am Also Very Interested!....Alex...212-764-.....
--------------

Quote:
I had to tell you .... If the saying, "Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder", has any validity to it, the pictures of you are... A poet’s inspiration... A painter’s motivation... A sculptor’s stimulation... Your beauty is the cause of the viewer’s sudden heart palpitations... Your beauty is the source of the viewer’s immediate elation... Your beauty, when beheld by ANYONE, will cause them to be thankful to God, your mother and father for such an immaculately beautiful creation........ One can only hope that your inner beauty is as equally stunning…… Rob
Quote:
I just wanted to say say hello. I like your profile and I am very interested in getting to know you! My name is Tony
Quote:
Women just should not be able to have an effect on a Man the way you possess....entirely unfair advantage.
You're like....
..walk'n thru the kitchen on Thanksgiving or Christmas and you just have to look under the lid of every pot & open the oven to see what's good.....Damn...I can't stop looking at you.
I am seriously considering deleting my profile. Why can't I just meet a good/nice guy, who is not creepy? Keep in mind, I didn't post any pics of me wearing tight skirts or even shorts.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:34 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
I am seriously considering deleting my profile. Why can't I just meet a good/nice guy, who is not creepy. Keep in my, I didn't post any pics of me wearing tight skirts or even shorts. I have on a baseball cap and I'm simply wearing a tee w/ blue jeans and I have several pics of me hiking. LOL
What's wrong with those messages? They're over the top, but nothing like I image them to be when I hear/read the word "creepy".

#1 the close to "creepy", but tolerable. I still don't know what the deal is with capitalizing every word, let alone dragging his mother into the equation. Or giving out his phone number in the first message. It's more socially awkward than creepy, though. So it's relatively safe to give him a chance. Or not.

#2 is more fitting for a love letter at a 6-month relationship anniversary than a first message on a dating site. Sounds like someone who has a lot of love to give and no willing takers. If clinginess bothers you, don't reply; if not, give the man a chance.

#3 sounds perfectly fine to me. Short, sweet, honest, and to the point. The only thing I'd find wrong with it is that it's too generic. A short reference to something in your profile would have helped. But when men have to write 50 messages to get 1 reply, customizing all 50 of them gets really tedious.

#4 is the "creepiest" one, I'd say. The author is basically kissing the ground you walk on after seeing only a disembodied profile of you. Can't comment on what his deal is. I know better than to do that, at least. So it's good idea to stay away.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 12-06-2015 at 10:54 AM..

Old 12-06-2015, 11:06 AM

562 posts, read 463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
What's wrong with those messages? They're over the top, but nothing like I image them to be when I hear/read the word "creepy".

#1 the close to "creepy", but tolerable. I still don't know what the deal is with capitalizing every word, let alone dragging his mother into the equation. Or giving out his phone number in the first message. It's more socially awkward than creepy, though. So it's relatively safe to give him a chance. Or not.

#2 is more fitting for a love letter at a 6-month relationship anniversary than a first message on a dating site. Sounds like someone who has a lot of love to give and no willing takers. If clinginess bothers you, don't reply; if not, give the man a chance.

#3 sounds perfectly fine to me. Short, sweet, honest, and to the point. The only thing I'd find wrong with it is that it's too generic. A short reference to something in your profile would have helped. But when men have to write 50 messages to get 1 reply, customizing all 50 of them gets really tedious.

#4 is the "creepiest" one, I'd say. The author is basically kissing the ground you walk on after seeing only a disembodied profile of you. Can't comment on what his deal is. I know better than to do that, at least. So it's good idea to stay away.
It's frustrating because 100% of the messages that I receive are vapid and superficial. Needless to say, I didn't reply to any of them.

In my experience, the online dating sites are a waste of time. It's far better to just meet people offline while hiking, jogging, and enjoying life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships