Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 08:14 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,031,091 times

Advertisements

I have often wondered what the term "married life" is like...what do you all think when you hear this term? I am married & when I was a newlywed, people have asked me what "married life" is like & I just reply "good,"

what are they referring to? surely it is not something "boring..."?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 08:16 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
You are just over thinking...they are just asking how things are going. It comes from a time when most couples did not live together beforehand.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:48 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,569 times
Its a mutual co-conspiratorial and delusional arrangement between two parties that claim happiness as a subtle code word for both being out of any potential, alternate options while simultaneously co-existing within the parameters of their own codependency and charade that was initial based on neuro-chemicals and pheromones but evolved to be due to practicality, acceptance and boredom.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:52 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Its a mutual co-conspiratorial and delusional arrangement between two parties that claim happiness as a subtle code word for both being out of any potential, alternate options while simultaneously co-existing within the parameters of their own codependency and charade that was initial based on neuro-chemicals and pheromones but evolved to be due to practicality, acceptance and boredom.

Are you always this dramatic?

Old 10-13-2015, 09:54 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Are you always this dramatic?
I think pedantic is a better term.....

Old 10-13-2015, 10:32 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
^ Real talk

Old 10-13-2015, 11:04 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,602 times
That's Skydive's definition; not mine? LOL not everyone thinks married life is that bad, right? Not me anyway

I think people ask that meaning how is life being with someone that you are married to.
It's not that complicated!

People also ask how single life is.

Basically, how is life in that context.
How is married life means how is life being married? Just like how is it being single.
It's probably just small talk. Not a big deal.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:44 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times
It's like saying "how are you?" One of those ridiculous American expressions where we really DON'T want to know the truth. We and the British are the only ones that do this ridiculous thing.

I actually responded several times with, "well, merging our stuff under one roof after having both been single and very independent for years was actually quite stressful. That stress caused us to bicker and fight for days, but once the house was arranged, our stress level diminished."

Turned out they just wanted to hear "it's great!"

Old 10-14-2015, 04:53 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
Think of "married life" like "Salt Life": An idealized concept that many advocate and aspire to, but few actually experience much less live as their life. It rarely lives up to expectations, but when it does, it can be great. For the rest, not so much.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:52 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I have often wondered what the term "married life" is like...what do you all think when you hear this term? I am married & when I was a newlywed, people have asked me what "married life" is like & I just reply "good,"

what are they referring to? surely it is not something "boring..."?
It is called making small talk.
You are WAY overthinking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships