Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 10:17 PM

93 posts, read 75,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And you are from what planet?!!!
That was a bit tounge in cheek. But obviously alot of men complain about lack of sex in relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 10:36 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindstealer View Post
That was a bit tounge in cheek. But obviously alot of men complain about lack of sex in relationships.
Not sure I would compare it to what pets contribute to a relationship.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-08-2015, 10:40 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Not sure I would compare it to what pets contribute to a relationship.
Not sure anyone would if they've actually been in a relationship with a live human.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:51 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Not sure anyone would if they've actually been in a relationship with a live human.
Thumbs up. Wayyyy up.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-08-2015, 11:27 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
I do the lawn mowing, and the cooking. Mostly because I enjoy doing both.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:44 PM

204 posts, read 145,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
Only one of those threads are relevant to my question. This question is something that Ive been wanting to ask but resisted because I knew I'd get smart answers or shamed for asking.
I am not a regular user of city-data but in the short time of my most recent visit (of less than two weeks) I have realized that there is a loosely-knit group of women who seem to go from thread to thread in the Relationships forum, acting like they are the parade and everyone else is the audience, making themselves at home in each thread while treating the men there as site interlopers, are less interested in staying on-topic than in advancing their own pre-recorded messages, insulting men while accusing men of misogyny, and generally trying to make the men smell their farts.

That's what that smell is.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:08 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
I know some people believe there shouldn't be roles specific to one's gender "men mow the lawn, women cook" but when I read other threads about different topics there always seems to be a one sided contradiction.

Men are supposed to take the lead. Men are supposed to approach women . Men are supposed to pay because they asked the woman out.Men are supposed to be confident, aggressive, manly, etc. OK I agree with some of those beliefs to an extent.

NOW, I'd like to know what is the woman's role? Cook? Clean? Nope that's sexist and the men should do that too. So i'm curious what is the womans role and responsibilities in a relationship?
You have picked a "straw man" characterization of gender roles in the US and the answers are fairly obvious. In my long life, I have certainly seen examples like this. However, for the families I have known, the roles have been more egalitarian. I also have a few friends who claim to have an egalitarian relationship, when in fact these families are closer to being matriarchal. I don't know of anyone, these days, that is in a strictly patriarchal relationship such as you have set up.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:45 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
I know some people believe there shouldn't be roles specific to one's gender "men mow the lawn, women cook" but when I read other threads about different topics there always seems to be a one sided contradiction.

Men are supposed to take the lead. Men are supposed to approach women . Men are supposed to pay because they asked the woman out.Men are supposed to be confident, aggressive, manly, etc. OK I agree with some of those beliefs to an extent.

NOW, I'd like to know what is the woman's role? Cook? Clean? Nope that's sexist and the men should do that too. So i'm curious what is the womans role and responsibilities in a relationship?
Hi, and welcome to City-Data. There isn't always a one-sided contradiction, no. I think what frequently happens is that other perspectives are overlooked or ignored. For example, I don't expect the man to approach (I've asked guys out) or pay (I always pay when I take people out). I don't particularly like aggressive people, and I don't think a man is automatically the leader. My marriage is pretty traditional in many ways, but I don't feel comfortable telling other men and women, especially strangers I will probably never meet, what gender roles they should fill as though one size could possibly fit all. It doesn't.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:17 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Quote:

What's anyone's "role" in a relationship? What the parties agree to between themselves.

I could tell you what my "role" is in my relationship, but that's hardly the way women "are supposed to be". There is no "supposed to"- there are choices made by parties to a relationship, no more, no less.

I've been told on this forum that mine is not a "real adult relationship" because it's not egalitarian. That was someone feeding into the "supposed to" mindset. I took it for what it was and moved on.

People have their preferences, obviously, in who they date and what they want in a relationship. For example, if a man asks me out to dinner, I expect that he will pay. This isn't an "all men are supposed to" thing- it's a "man that mishigas gets involved with will" thing. Vast difference.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:17 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:

The equivlents:

Men are supposed to take the lead. -Women are supposed to follow

Men are supposed to approach women. -Women are supposed to accept his advances and not be forward.

Men are supposed to pay because they asked the woman out. -Women are supposed get dolled up, be attentive, good listeners, laugh, make him feel important and be appreciative guests.

Men are supposed to be confident, aggressive, manly, etc. -Women are supposed to be demur, attractive, thin and feminine.

You do realize this is not a law or anything and there is every variation under the sun. Just be who you are, do what you are comfortable with and find that person who is compatible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships