Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 02:34 PM

971 posts, read 688,418 times

Advertisements

So I have plans with a female friend to go to dinner earlier this week. She calls me at the end of her work day and tells me she's had a long day and really isn't hungry and doesn't feel like going to dinner. I say no problem...I could have cared less anyway. Then she invites me over for a couple beers. We get to her house about the same time and she gets out of the car with a fast food bag and a drink.

I said "oh, no wonder you aren't hungry, you already ate" and she just looks at me sheepishly. We have a couple beers and she eventually tells me she did go out to eat while she was shopping after work because she was hungry. I said no big deal, you should have just told me the truth. She tells me "I didn't lie, I just didn't tell you the truth" and I was kind of dumbfounded.

This is one of many "ommissions" from this woman. She doesn't consider it lying about something if she just doesn't tell the whole story. It aggrevates me because there is no reason not to just tell the truth up front to begin with. This drives me crazy. I told her I would never get in a relationship with her because anyone who lies about the little stuff will definately lie about the big stuff.

In my opinion a lie is a lie whether it is an ommission of facts or an outright lie. Just curious how others feel about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 02:35 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,093 times
Games and lies!

Old 10-09-2015, 02:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
That is a lot of drama over a whole lot of nothing.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:42 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
Sounds she got hungry during shopping and decided to grab something quick. I don't think this one issue should be a concern if you got together anyway. It's the other situations that me be more of a concern.

One thing to add though-I think good manners should have dictated she brought you something, A snack, drink etc at least.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:43 PM

507 posts, read 442,693 times
What's next? "I told you I had plans tonight. I just didn't tell you they involved sleeping with another man?"

Punt! There are better women out there. Deceit is deceit, whether it is by omission or commission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Meh. They made plans for dinner earlier in the week. This is what "something small to hold you over" is all about. In her shoes, I'd have just gotten a granola bar or a piece of fruit, and left room for dinner with him.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:44 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
So I have plans with a female friend to go to dinner earlier this week. She calls me at the end of her work day and tells me she's had a long day and really isn't hungry and doesn't feel like going to dinner. I say no problem...I could have cared less anyway. Then she invites me over for a couple beers. We get to her house about the same time and she gets out of the car with a fast food bag and a drink.

I said "oh, no wonder you aren't hungry, you already ate" and she just looks at me sheepishly. We have a couple beers and she eventually tells me she did go out to eat while she was shopping after work because she was hungry. I said no big deal, you should have just told me the truth. She tells me "I didn't lie, I just didn't tell you the truth" and I was kind of dumbfounded.

This is one of many "ommissions" from this woman. She doesn't consider it lying about something if she just doesn't tell the whole story. It aggrevates me because there is no reason not to just tell the truth up front to begin with. This drives me crazy. I told her I would never get in a relationship with her because anyone who lies about the little stuff will definately lie about the big stuff.

In my opinion a lie is a lie whether it is an ommission of facts or an outright lie. Just curious how others feel about this?
I don't see anything bad in this one time. She wasn't hungry, didn't feel like going out to dinner, and then while shopping she got hungry and ate. She didn't go to dinner with somebody else - she just stuffed some nasty food in her face while running errands.

However, if this is one OF MANY instances then yeah ... I am on your side ...

Old 10-09-2015, 02:48 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
She didn't want to go out. Maybe, just maybe, she had plans for you which going out would have interfered with. So, she still has you come over "for a couple beers".

Think it through a bit.

Jeez, do I have to teach you guys everything?

Old 10-09-2015, 02:49 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,647,406 times
Don't sounds like you guys are compatible, just from the little bit I get from your post. Perhaps friends, but a relationship probably wouldn't work if you are that aggravated by her omission. Better communication skills will help also.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennia View Post
Meh. They made plans for dinner earlier in the week. This is what "something small to hold you over" is all about. In her shoes, I'd have just gotten a granola bar or a piece of fruit, and left room for dinner with him.
And she wasn't in the mood for dinner so she swapped the plans for drinks. It is not like she flaked on him.

And I don't know about her, but when I grab fast food for dinner that is desperate measures thing. It means I was getting hangry and feeling nauseated. I also can't drink without food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
She didn't want to go out. Maybe, just maybe, she had plans for you which going out would have interfered with. So, she still has you come over "for a couple beers".

Think it through a bit.

Jeez, do I have to teach you guys everything?
So she didn't want to go out to dinner? Maybe she wasn't in the mood for dealing with crowds, or waitresses or going to the other side of town.

She still made plans with the OP. I don't see grabbing some fast food as a big deceit.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:05 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,647,406 times
This don't sound like a one time thing, I don't think the op would be that upset or aggravated as he called it, if this was the first time. He also went to say, he told her he could never be in a relationship with her because of her lies about the little stuff. I don't think he would have taken it that far for this one time, but I'm just guessing. I hope the op comes back and give some more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships