Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 11:40 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,783 times

Advertisements

I've been a SAHM for 19 years. We have 4 children together. We agreed that my job was to take care of the kids. Yes, I did laundry and cleaned, but those jobs weren't specifically just mine. As the kids have gotten older they have learned to pitch in in the evenings, they help with things like dishes and sweeping and taking out the trash.

When my husband telecommuted he would cook dinner every night. I do that now.

On weekends, we all pitch in to clean.

Being a SAHM is that---a mom. I am 100% responsible for things like grocery shopping, doctor and dental appointments, chauffering kids to lessons, etc. This allows my husband to focus on his job. Housework and cooking are not always part of the equation. At the end of the day NO ONE LIKES TO DO HOUSEWORK. It is unfair to assume that the "unemployed" spouse should do all the grunt work. She's busy working, too---taking care of the kids and household stuff. It is not too much to ask to pitch in with housework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 12:01 PM

816 posts, read 967,846 times
i do help. But there were some patches where I could not. I suppose they were long patches. My spouse needed more help than I could give with the other household things, like shopping groceries. For e.g. once or twice a week, when I was heading home, she would message me to go and get a few things from the store. Of course I would do it. But it was too much with the kind of pressure I was under at work.

I think she had a problem with being organized, as we got more money, we solved the problem with home delivery. And she got a LOT better organized. I felt she could do better, despite what she thought. And I pushed her. This caused a lot of friction. But in the end, we are both better off for it.

Most people assume that because we had these issues, I am somehow, an un-empathetic husband, I am not. In most things I put her needs before mine. Clothing, eating out, any discretionary spending we had was in her hands. I never bought myself anything, because I felt that that she needed some break form her difficult life. And we had limited money at that time.

I felt there is a threshold beyond I could not work anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships