Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 09:16 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,961,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I don't think OLD is the go-to due to confidence issues. I'm pretty confident and didn't struggle with getting approached offline. I just found OLD to be a highly efficient screening tool and way to weed out incompatible people. It was the perfect way to find fellow introverts, too.

There was a higher chance of meeting my type online than off, and it's especially true as one approaches the married/attached age range where many people you run into offline are likely to be attached. Location/region also play a big factor as well.
Of course not. It is for some and others use it as you did. Plus you once indicated you were not open to being cold approached. You'd have likely rejected me for that reason because I was more likely to spot you in public, think, "YOWZA!" and approach in hopes of getting my foot in the door and just see where it would go.

Given some of the interests you've discussed, you'd likely have rejected me online as well, because I don't know that we have enough common interests. (For example, I'm not a movie fan. At all.) For that matter, I may not have even approached you online given the disparity in personal interests.

And that's okay. We're not all meant to be with anyone and everyone. You find the person you find for a reason, right? People take rejection so personally. And that's somewhat natural, I suppose. But take a step back and think about it and there's no need to get so bent out of shape about it. I don't appeal to everyone and I know it. I take a chance with someone and it just happens that I don't appeal to her. Big deal: move on and try again some other time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 09:28 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,351,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Of course not. It is for some and others use it as you did. Plus you once indicated you were not open to being cold approached. You'd have likely rejected me for that reason because I was more likely to spot you in public, think, "YOWZA!" and approach in hopes of getting my foot in the door and just see where it would go.

Given some of the interests you've discussed, you'd likely have rejected me online as well, because I don't know that we have enough common interests. (For example, I'm not a movie fan. At all.) For that matter, I may not have even approached you online given the disparity in personal interests.

And that's okay. We're not all meant to be with anyone and everyone. You find the person you find for a reason, right? People take rejection so personally. And that's somewhat natural, I suppose. But take a step back and think about it and there's no need to get so bent out of shape about it. I don't appeal to everyone and I know it. I take a chance with someone and it just happens that I don't appeal to her. Big deal: move on and try again some other time.
Wait. So you're not seeing Star Wars Ep. 7 this December!? *cries*

I usually appreciated it, but back when I was dating I typically had my kids with me, so it was awkward. And when I was alone it was the young(er) Marines. (when I lived near Pendleton) lol

Old 10-17-2015, 09:28 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,039,183 times
If all someone types is "hi", I assume they're stupid and boring so I don't reply for those reasons.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:39 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times
Quote:
Can't speak to online behavior but before I was married, "Hi/Hello" was one of my most effective pickup lines for approaching someone cold!
I agree. It is noncommittal but leaves the door open. My fave line in person.

Online I ignore completely that is just wasting an opportunity to prove you even looked at her profile.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Wait. So you're not seeing Star Wars Ep. 7 this December!? *cries*

I usually appreciated it, but back when I was dating I typically had my kids with me, so it was awkward. And when I was alone it was the young(er) Marines. (when I lived near Pendleton) lol
Probably not. Are we still friends?

And those younger Marines...so certain that every woman out there wants to date us! I've got over 16 in now and Marine years are like dog years so I'm an old geezer now!

Old 10-17-2015, 01:36 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,224,411 times
Anytime I've taken my pm block off on a dating site ive been absolutely BOMBARDED with men saying "hi"

Men are hunters.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:15 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,351,299 times
Quote:

And those younger Marines...so certain that every woman out there wants to date us! I've got over 16 in now and Marine years are like dog years so I'm an old geezer now!
Of course!

I think once one hits Gunny or Major they're definitely well-seasoned.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:21 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,437,454 times
Quote:

This is all great advice. Way too many people take rejection seriously. I have some interests and hobbies that not many women share, and that's fine. The important thing is meeting someone who does, and that shouldn't be that hard given how many people there are. All those others really don't matter.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Of course!

I think once one hits Gunny or Major they're definitely well-seasoned.
I'm on the board for Major this year. I'll find out around Christmas time if I've been selected. I was right in the middle of the pack in terms of seniority for all the Captains in the zone this year, so I anticipate Sept/Oct of next year I'll pin on.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:21 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,054,485 times
Quote:

In reality, they're just wanna-be dependas that are gunning for those Tricare benefits.

Much respect to the Marines (and the mustangs....who usually make the best officers). I'm currently a young Air Force O3 and I'm sure you're in way better shape than I am!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships