Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 01:02 AM

224 posts, read 228,658 times

Advertisements

The way I see it, except in extreme and rare circumstances, there will only ever be two possible outcomes to any relationship:

You're either gonna get married, or you're gonna break up.

If you meet someone with the intent of a relationship who doesn't really seem like they'd be a good husband/wife, then what's the point of making them a boyfriend/girlfriend when the only other eventuality (barring death or "life partner" status) is a break-up?

Approaching dating as "looking for a boyfriend/girlfriend" can easily lead to regret about "time wasted" with someone you probably never would have married anyway...But approaching dating as "seeking a husband/wife" in a highly-selective manner from the onset can lead to much more fulfilling, promising relationships with a great deal of compatibility and potential...albeit significantly fewer in number.

It certainly requires much more time and patience, and understanding that adherence to such a plan could potentially cause the threat of long bouts of loneliness to be real as you've severely narrowed the "dateable pool".

But in the end, among all the unnecessary heartaches averted, you only come out stronger and wiser...With a better introspection of yourself and what you have to offer that special person, if and when they do come along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 01:22 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
At the same time, how will you know if he/she is marriage material without making them your boyfriend/girlfriend and being in a relationship with em first?

Old 10-18-2015, 11:23 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Not everyone wants to get married and/or live together.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-18-2015, 11:25 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,341,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Not everyone wants to get married and/or live together.
This.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:41 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Go preach your 'courtship' model over on the fundie forums......that is where that thinking comes from.

Self-aware adults understand that life and relationships are not either/or equations....but have as many viable as there are people in the world.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:43 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Yeah, well I get where OP is coming from, but...

a.) Not all breakups have to be traumatic nukes of pain and drama. I've met people who parted ways respectfully when they realized the time had come, and remained at least cordial if not friends. I only mention this because the breakup option is presented as being eminently undesirable.

b.) My Great Aunt was a widow. She never remarried. She had a "friend" who called her every night, and they golfed together and went out together and went on vacation together, and while no one acknowledged it, they sure acted like a couple. One did not ask this woman about her sex life, but if I had found out that the two of them did have sex I would not have been shocked. At any rate, they definitely dated, a lot, for years. They lived separately. Eventually he died and then she did about 2 years later. They were both in their 80's.

Longterm companionship without marriage is definitely possible, even if it falls outside of the typical paradigm.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:26 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Yes, OP makes sense.

People need to date for a while before they decide to marry.

A break up before marriage isn't that much of a failure. If you are talking about a 1 or 2 year relationship, both sides got something out of it. Those failed relationships are way better than the one & done or two & done dates that lead nowhere.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:30 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ft Laud Guy View Post
The way I see it, except in extreme and rare circumstances, there will only ever be two possible outcomes to any relationship:

You're either gonna get married, or you're gonna break up.

If you meet someone with the intent of a relationship who doesn't really seem like they'd be a good husband/wife, then what's the point of making them a boyfriend/girlfriend when the only other eventuality (barring death or "life partner" status) is a break-up?

Approaching dating as "looking for a boyfriend/girlfriend" can easily lead to regret about "time wasted" with someone you probably never would have married anyway...But approaching dating as "seeking a husband/wife" in a highly-selective manner from the onset can lead to much more fulfilling, promising relationships with a great deal of compatibility and potential...albeit significantly fewer in number.

It certainly requires much more time and patience, and understanding that adherence to such a plan could potentially cause the threat of long bouts of loneliness to be real as you've severely narrowed the "dateable pool".

But in the end, among all the unnecessary heartaches averted, you only come out stronger and wiser...With a better introspection of yourself and what you have to offer that special person, if and when they do come along.

Okay, thanks for sharing and making me appreciate being married to Mr. CSD even than before, and I already appreciate him endlessly.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:29 PM

864 posts, read 1,453,831 times
I get what the OP is saying...for those of us who do eventually want a long term, committed relationship that leads to marriage, it's going to be the wrong one until the right one comes along.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:36 PM

154 posts, read 127,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Go preach your 'courtship' model over on the fundie forums......that is where that thinking comes from.

Wow, you must have had a really rough weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships