Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 04:35 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times

Advertisements

very good read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 06:38 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
But has your bitterness led to a loving, meaningful relationship? Because I honestly don't see how you can be bitter against women and love them at the same time. And are you happy? Because I don't think that bitterness and happiness go hand in hand either.
Actually, I'm the happiest that I've been in years.

And I currently do not have a loving, meaningful relationship. However, this has nothing to do with my attitude. It has more to do with my current circumstances, which I have not been able to change for the past few years. These circumstances will change with the new year though and I will be able to pursue relationships as I please.

Also, I dislike women as a whole. However, I have female friends that I respect greatly (my mom too...I respect her a lot). I don't consider them to be part of the general female population, but above them. My goal is to find a woman that I can feel a similar respect for.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:47 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
Actually, I'm the happiest that I've been in years.

And I currently do not have a loving, meaningful relationship. However, this has nothing to do with my attitude. It has more to do with my current circumstances, which I have not been able to change for the past few years. These circumstances will change with the new year though and I will be able to pursue relationships as I please.

Also, I dislike women as a whole. However, I have female friends that I respect greatly (my mom too...I respect her a lot). I don't consider them to be part of the general female population, but above them. My goal is to find a woman that I can feel a similar respect for.
Well, it's kind of hard to have a conversation with someone when you know they don't like you simply because of your gender.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:52 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,014 times
Quote:
That's not really how I interpreted it. Well, I mean, yeah, if you want to be successful in anything, you will have to make moves towards that happening.

But you will need to offer value to get value. Why can't people get jobs after taking basket weaving in college? They don't offer any value to anybody. Why can't many men attract women? They don't offer any value to these women.

I sit around on my days off. I don't volunteer (I hate it actually). I've gained weight. But I'm still able to attract women. Why? Because I know how to solve problems (including my own). I know how to offer value and I know how to make deals. I know what I want and I go after it. Like Alec Baldwin says, I close.

That's what I get from this article.

There are some things that I disagree with though. For example, the author makes the assumption that bitterness and motivation are antithetic and cannot coexist. I completely disagree with this. I am both bitter and motivated. In fact, my bitterness directly leads to my motivation. My bitterness towards the world makes me angry, which in turn makes me look for ways to change things (as opposed to adapting myself to the world....which I will never do), which then motivates me.

Brilliantly expressed.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Well, it's kind of hard to have a conversation with someone when you know they don't like you simply because of your gender.
No it's not at all.

I work in a service industry and I'm a top performer. I dislike the vast majority of people that I interact with. I've mastered the art of being superficially charming. This is something that most women are able to do with ease.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
No it's not at all.

I work in a service industry and I'm a top performer. I dislike the vast majority of people that I interact with. I've mastered the art of being superficially charming. This is something that most women are able to do with ease.
I meant it's hard for ME to have a conversation with YOU when I don't that you already don't like me based on my gender. When someone is prejudiced against you for something - it's hard to have a real conversation with them.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I meant it's hard for ME to have a conversation with YOU when I don't that you already don't like me based on my gender. When someone is prejudiced against you for something - it's hard to have a real conversation with them.
That's fine. You're free to stop conversing with me at any time.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
That's fine. You're free to stop conversing with me at any time.
That's what I thought I was doing…

Old 10-18-2015, 07:54 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,628,129 times
I've skimmed through it and it's basically on-spot. The article is obviously written for women, based on 70%+ comments coming from women (skimming through comments and the images/names gives away some decent way to estimate it).
I didn't see it mentioning is that it's gender-universal, which it should be. The exact same list applies to women as well. The only difference is that there's an outrage when someone expresses it and society is legally bent to "fix" this "injustice" - at the expense of everyone else. And here we are, opening a specific topic to scold men in particular on how they should behave and how their problems should be their own because society wants them to "perform". OK, so what's the news here? Oh, I thought so... this topic has been discussed on this forum so many times.

Another important thing- I'd say that both men and women in USA expect other party to bend over completely to make them feel comfortable while they do everything to bash them into the ground if it's convenient to them (or that they should have much leeway to do whatever they want, while everyone else should accommodate it and accept anything in their past, present and/or future). I can't say how much I'm happier dating someone who doesn't fall into this mindset. I've been completely revolted by the fact that dating in such place with so much wealth, variety and opportunity is stacked with so many toxic and opportunistic people. I've had way less issues finding someone whom I deem as suitable back in my native country than in America - which tells volumes about mainstream dating in America, opportunities to find someone suitable for a long-term relationship, and women in particular.

When I started dating in America, I thought men are douchebags. It actually surprised me because they were giving such a great facade about being outgoing, decent, etc. It completely surprised me when I actually went out with some of these guys, in bars, clubs, etc, where we were mingling our company with women that we'd be hitting on. Seeing and being on the "inside" group where you hear them honestly give advice to each other, when you see the way things work, etc.

And then I actually got a chance to see behind the whole facade on part of thse very women whom they were dating, tried to date, flirted/were hitting on.... and I completely understood why playing chameleon and joining the "bang and dump" and other forms of passive-aggressive behavior done by US-born guys is perfectly logical. It's just that these men and women fit each other perfectly but they seem to be revolted by it because of the bold part stated earlier in this post.
These "well intentioned idiots" who try to play Don Quixote with these women will end up the same like that book character. These guys end up dealing with the fallout and baggage of these entitled princesses, effectively getting the worst of both worlds. Ignorance is not a bliss but a terrible misfortune in U.S. dating.

If there's a good advice in mainstream dating in America, here it is - be the user and avoid being used. Open your eyes widely, use people like the utilities, be perfectly aware that these nice folks may be doing exactly the same and just accept it as a reality of mainstream dating in USA. If there's any difference in behavior of these people along gender lines, it's that women are so much more into the "serialization" and "upgrading", while guys are so much more into variety, a.k.a. "gotta bang'em all".

Last edited by nald; 10-18-2015 at 08:10 PM..

Old 10-19-2015, 06:26 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:
One of my friends posted this on her timeline. I know it's written by a man seemingly directed at men - but I think it really applies to everyone. And my friend that posted it is a woman - and she posted it because it resonated with her about her own life. It's not completely about relationships - but I think it's definitely fitting to this forum.
Six harsh truths which will make you a*better person
Aww, Dew....I thought you read my posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Reminded me of this article which would just so happen to make excellent reading for the OP

6 Harsh Truths that will make you a better person

In particular, watch the clip from Glengarry Glen Ross and think to yourself: "Is Alec Baldwin's character in that movie a bad guy or a good guy?" Your answer tells you a lot.
Quote:
Uh oh, time to whip this bad boy out again!

6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You a Better Person | Cracked.com

Quote:
Seems like once every couple months or so, I gotta whip this bad boy out:

6 Harsh Truths That Will Make You a Better Person | Cracked.com
Anyway, the guy writes a lot of good stuff. Most of it isn't central to dating/bettering oneself, but worth checking out nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships