Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 10:18 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,363,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrassMug View Post
We went on several dates

Yes, I was aware she was religious

It took several weeks for me to be able to discern a clear pattern a religious hypocrisy

I gave her an honest chance

I am not a mind-reader

Yeah, because people are so honest in their online dating profiles.

I'm sure hers would have read "I'm very religious, and hold very strong biblical convictions. However, I follow none of them, and I intend to judge you when you don't either"

Meta, you seem like a very smart girl. But dang...
Actually, I came across a lot of profiles that put it all out there. Most were proud to state they were religious and wanted the same in a partner. That was pretty typical.

I won't claim they're all honest, but the vast majority of men I dated once I was more serious about dating, were open and honest. I can't imagine why someone part of a majority group would hide their religious beliefs, especially when said beliefs are the norm in many parts of the country.

Religion and politics were easy to screen for, and I filtered based on these two criteria, along with match %, when I was on OKC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
Admit it, the girl was just hot enough to get away with the crazy for a little while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 10:31 PM

154 posts, read 127,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Actually, I came across a lot of profiles that put it all out there. Most were proud to state they were religious and wanted the same in a partner. That was pretty typical.

I won't claim they're all honest, but the vast majority of men I dated once I was more serious about dating, were open and honest. I can't imagine why someone part of a majority group would hide their religious beliefs, especially when said beliefs are the norm in many parts of the country.

Religion and politics were easy to screen for, and I filtered based on these two criteria, along with match %, when I was on OKC.

Oh, good flippin' grief, Meta! Ok, one more time -- and sound this out while you read it -- IT WASN'T HER RELIGION THAT WAS THE DEAL-BREAKER, IT WAS HER HYPOCRISY.

Additionally, I would not refrain from dating someone who was religious just as I wouldn't refrain from dating someone who was atheist or anywhere in between. I do not indict people based upon their personal beliefs, even if I don't believe them myself.

I would, however, refrain from dating anyone who admitted they were an opinionated, over-bearing, hypocritical, political and/or religious zealot. I do not enjoy being around one-uppers, know-it-alls, or hypocrites.

I understand many have no problem admitting their political and religious affiliations on a dating profile, just as they would their height and hair color, but many times, they also fail to mention they are an as$hole, too.

Someone please drop a Volkswagen on my head. Please.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:44 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,481,955 times
Quote:
Oh, good flippin' grief, Meta! Ok, one more time -- and sound this out while you read it -- IT WASN'T HER RELIGION THAT WAS THE DEAL-BREAKER, IT WAS HER HYPOCRISY.

Additionally, I would not refrain from dating someone who was religious just as I wouldn't refrain from dating someone who was atheist or anywhere in between. I do not indict people based upon their personal beliefs, even if I don't believe them myself.

I would, however, refrain from dating anyone who admitted they were an opinionated, over-bearing, hypocritical, political and/or religious zealot. I do not enjoy being around one-uppers, know-it-alls, or hypocrites.

I understand many have no problem admitting their political and religious affiliations on a dating profile, just as they would their height and hair color, but many times, they also fail to mention they are an as$hole, too.

Yes, the crazy ones never tell you they're crazy!

I'm convinced there's a certain subset of wingnuts and other zealot-types that put up normal-sounding profiles with the intent of luring in someone to convert and control.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:04 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,363,653 times
Quote:
Hell, if it's hypocrisy that's the issue then that applies to a [bleep] of people, not just fervent fundamentalists. lol

Quote:
If it works for you then great.

Quote:
Opinionated? lol A lot of people have opinions and express them passionately. You've done so here. You've also made a lot of generalizations and erroneous statements, too. Just sayin'.

Quote:

True. There are definitely a$$hats of all kinds everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Yes, the crazy ones never tell you they're crazy!

I'm convinced there's a certain subset of wingnuts and other zealot-types that put up normal-sounding profiles with the intent of luring in someone to convert and control.
I wouldn't doubt this.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-19-2015 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:06 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,829,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I met a fantastic guy about two months ago, we are hitting it off really well, get along great, have fun together, work well together. Just had a 36 hour road trip with him and not one bump the entire trip (even when we got a little lost, no stress involved). He's a perfect gentleman. He likes to help people and is kind and compassionate. He is a fireman, and they do far more medical calls to homes of people who are struggling than they do fire calls. He has never said a judgmental word to me about anything he sees, which I think says a lot about his character. He will DO anything for you, but will not give you money!

I've been single for 8 years and met a lot of guys, but this is the FIRST one I've EVER met in that time that I felt had long term potential. That is saying a LOT. Because I can find a dealbreaker in a guy and lose interest pretty fast. None of his flaws to me are the slightest bit worth losing interest over. I am determined to make this work!!! I feel and think that we are a good match.

So, on our drive home last night, he raised a subject that has come up before. He is staunchly pro-life and has a firm, long-considered position about this particular issue. He says it is EXTREMELY important to him that his SO have the same point of view about this. And he is concerned that since I am pretty liberal, this will become a sticking point with us.

He is conservative about many things, but is not a racist, does not judge others, and doesn't rock the boat or get upset if there are Trump jokes flying around. He seems to be very tolerant and understands that we all have our own ideals and that makes the world go round. He does not toe the party line, nor follow Republican dogma blindly. He doesn't like to pay taxes for programs he doesn't agree with (who does?) but seems willing to admit that certain things aren't working and something does need to be done. He is his own person and acts ethically in all instances, as far, as I can tell. I can say the same things about myself re: the Democratic party. We both seem to have a good grasp on the realities of politics...that neither party can solve all the ills of the world. NONE of my other points of view on current issues have phased him, I'm not dogmatic about politics, I care about human beings first. I don't go around trying to change people's opinion to match my own. I'm an educator and librarian, so I like to know that people have all the facts, but they can make their own decisions from there.

So why is a woman's opinion on THIS particular issue SO Important to him? Can anyone help me understand? We are in our late forties so pregnancy is a thing of the past for us personally.

He expanded at length about his point of view, and I said very little. My thoughts on the subject are multilayered and deeply personal, I don't really share them with anyone. To me, this is not a black and white issue, and while I don't feel I could ever label myself Pro-Life based on anyone's definition, I am certainly sensitive to those who do. I don't think my SO needs to share my perspective, and I don't feel a need to tell him, nor do I really need to know his ideals on that issue. My opinion on the subject is not likely to color any of my daily choices. I strive to make ethical choices for myself at all times, and that is clear to people who know me.

I'm conflicted. On one hand, I would like to do everything possible to make this relationship work. Obviously I can't just lie and say "Oh, I'm pro-life also" so we can ride into the sunset.

I'm somewhat offended that there is ANYTHING that he feels he can be judge and jury about. Who is he to judge my opinion on such a layered issue when he has no idea what factors and experiences in my life have led me to develop my point of view? I don't judge his point of view, why would he need to judge mine? How is he qualified to do so? Why is he so tolerant of so many things, but gets hung up on this one thing? Why not the death penalty? Or water boarding? I'm not being asked to justify my feelings about any other thing.

He has been very clear about this. He is worried this issue will tank our relationship. I feel I am being pressured to come clean about my point of view. What I don't know is, do I tell him the breadth and depth of my feelings on the subject and let him interpret it as he will? Because it would take a long time and never come out as a clear black and white response. I just can't see this issue that way.

OR should I tell him that his insistence on this particular issue as a requirement for our relationship is offensive to me and that, to me, is the dealbraker?

I can usually walk away from relationships that I feel won't work with a bit of sadness and regret, then move on. But this one would hurt very deeply. I really have strong feelings for this guy.
You are with the wrong person when you are afraid to share your innermost thoughts and feelings. That is never a good indicator for a long term healthy relationship.

If you are honest with yourself, you'd recognize that you are more than just "somewhat offended" by his judgmental attitude.

I'm also curious why you added the comment about him not giving anyone money? That was a random remark, but you used an exclamation mark, then never touched upon it again. Odd. Can you clarify? I suspect that there is more than one red flag waving here.

It sounds like you are lonely, and you know how hard it is to find someone compatible. So it's tempting to put on rose-colored glasses and tell yourself that no one is perfect. But in my opinion, one can't afford to look the other way on character flaws and differences like this. I would be very cautious.

Good luck.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:07 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,868,581 times
Zealouts on either side of this issue are moronic at best and have views shaped on their hatred of those taking the opposing view more than their own personal convictions (see the cesspool subforum known as "politics and other controversies" for confirmation). And it's childlike to throw away an otherwise good match on something as devisive as the abortion issue. But to be fair the the OP, the guy was the one to bring it up first.

Last edited by Philosophizer; 10-19-2015 at 02:20 AM..

Old 10-19-2015, 02:18 AM

272 posts, read 185,042 times
He probably has just as strong feelings for you and will not end the relationship over the disagreement. Looks like you have to risk it.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:39 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,170,826 times
I' have a problem with anybody that insisted I agree on an issue that wouldn't even affect our day to day lives.
What would the next one be?

Old 10-19-2015, 07:31 AM

6,881 posts, read 7,876,999 times
Okay, it's done. I sent him an email about it because I wanted to get all my feeling and thoughts out without interruption. And because I don't want him to feel like i'm jumping down his throat, which might come across if I tried to tell him all that in person. He has the day off, so we'll see how long it takes him!

Old 10-19-2015, 09:05 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,878,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Okay, it's done. I sent him an email about it because I wanted to get all my feeling and thoughts out without interruption. And because I don't want him to feel like i'm jumping down his throat, which might come across if I tried to tell him all that in person. He has the day off, so we'll see how long it takes him!
You emailed it to him ????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships