Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 05:35 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,034,012 times

Advertisements

If I had a dollar for every woman who said she "loves to laugh," I'd be a 10-millionaire.

I would have expected tons of women to jump on Louis CK's D by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 05:43 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,541,081 times
I think comedians are probably pretty damaged for the most part. Their humor is borne from pain, and actually being around them might be pretty tough. You know how Metallica is terrible now that everybody sobered up?

Old 10-19-2015, 06:27 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,873,238 times
Humor is only a small part of a relationship. Yeah it's nice to be a person who can cheer up somebody with a joke or a funny story but it can get old.

There has to be a balance. A time and a place for everything.

On a side note; not everyone is going to find your particular humor funny.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:56 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,736,042 times
Um.. I would never want to date a comedian. Those guys are beyond effed up. They move around a lot because of shows, they're always broke, and unstable people in general. I have some friends who are comedians and I love them but I would never date them. And if you break their heart, they're going to write about you.

Making me laugh and being a comedian are very different things.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,541,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Making me laugh and being a comedian are very different things.
Quite true. I know a guy who is a total clown all the time. He can be very funny, but sometimes I cringe and other times it's just inappropriate and exhausting. He was a groomsman at a wedding a couple weeks ago, blazing drunk and making sex jokes during the toasts like something out of a movie. Dude is in his 30s.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:19 AM

26,678 posts, read 41,516,486 times
The life of a true standup comedian is not an easy one. A lot of humor comes out of bad situations they had growing up. They have what Steve Harvey deems a third eye which brings them a lot of pain because they see hurtful things other folks don't see. To really make it in comedy, you have to do a lot of shows and travel which is expensive and puts you at risk for burning out. A lot of comedians have been married multiple times or otherwise bring relationship baggage.

I've always had an interest in doing stand up comedy but the lifestyle of a comedian has always held me back.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:59 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,588,549 times
I love to laugh, yes. And laughing WITH my partner, sharing "in" jokes and making witty conversation makes me happy.

That is very different that having someone stand there "performing" for you.

Plus what the others said.

You should probably think more about the questions you post before posting them, because the answers are glaringly obvious after a few seconds of critical thinking...

Here's another tip: women like men who are bright, not intellectually lazy.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:07 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,065,245 times
"He's got a good sense of humor" and "he's a comedian" are worlds apart. Comedians get PLENTY of play. Doesn't mean they're good at LTRs, though.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:08 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,999,430 times
Then, there's the alcoholism

Old 10-19-2015, 09:45 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,851,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
If I had a dollar for every woman who said she "loves to laugh," I'd be a 10-millionaire.

I would have expected tons of women to jump on Louis CK's D by now.
Yeah, but what type of humor?

You can be funny, hell, really funny, but still give off vibes depending on the humor.

Also, a lot of comedians have had either tough lives or some type of emotional issues. That is why so many of them end up as alcoholics or drug addicts and a few end up killing themselves. Sure, someone like Bob Newhart had a pretty tame sense of humor and a pretty tame life, but what about someone like Lenny Bruce or Richard Jeni?

A lot of people find me funny and I can be when in the right mood, but my sense of humor can be very dark and sometimes I give hints (both intentional and unintentional) regarding some of the more unpleasant parts of my life and some people (usually women) pick up on it. The way it normally it works is that you try to appear as well adjusted as possible and then your flaws start to ooze to the surface. I'm the opposite; people eventually find out that I am actually more normal then they assumed. I try to use my humor as a way of releasing my demons as opposed to letting them fester and rot my soul from the inside out.

I guess it is the same for a lot of comedians as well. Take someone like Doug Stanhope (which I am often compared to in outlook and style); there is obviously a lot of frustration and anger there. He is someone who hasn't had the happiest life and he is angry at the state of the world, so he uses comedy as means of turning that into something positive. He's even said that when his life is doing well that his act starts to suck because there isn't that motivating rage for him anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships