Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 09:23 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,226 times

Advertisements

with the stipulation that we never will live together? I honestly don't think I want to live with anyone ever again. I like living alone. I was married for over 30 years and now that I'm "free" I would like a special someone, but do not want to live together under that same roof and I never want to get married again either. I think I may have become peculiar due to a very long and painful marriage. And I realize that the odds of finding someone who can accept my peculiar ways -- someone who I share a mutual attraction with is really not highly likely. I am so glad I have two grand-loves - they fill the void of loneliness I have. But of course the do not fulfill all my needs. I used to find other (adults) easier to love. I don't think I am like that anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 09:27 PM

154 posts, read 128,009 times
Since my divorce, I've really learned to enjoy living alone (with my 2 baby girls). There are times when you really miss going home to a significant other, but for the most part, there are a lot of benefits, just as there are benefits to having someone waiting at home for you.

I think there are many adults that have gone through a long, painful marriage, who are in your exact same shoes. I'd think that with little effort, you'll be able to find that person who can fulfill your needs, without intruding on your solo lifestyle. (if this is what you choose)

Old 10-18-2015, 09:29 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,345,635 times
OP, I understand completely. I was divorced last year and a few months ago got into a relationship not realizing that her intention was to move in with me. I couldn't allow it and she ended our relationship. It still hurts, but it was for the better. No law that says you have to cohabitate!

Old 10-18-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrassMug View Post
Since my divorce, I've really learned to enjoy living alone (with my 2 baby girls). There are times when you really miss going home to a significant other, but for the most part, there are a lot of benefits, just as there are benefits to having someone waiting at home for you.

I think there are many adults that have gone through a long, painful marriage, who are in your exact same shoes. I'd think that with little effort, you'll be able to find that person who can fulfill your needs, without intruding on your solo lifestyle. (if this is what you choose)
Thanks so much for the positive vibes. Oh, I love babies! I have a two grandsons, age 4 and 16 months. They are the most awesome thing that I've ever known. I'm hoping for a granddaughter, but there are no guarantees I'll ever have one.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:33 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,484 times
I have to say that I feel similar to you. I was with someone for about 8 years. Now it's nice to be able to do my own thing. I've always liked my solitude, so not having to wash someone else's dishes, underwear, etc. and not dealing with someone else's messes (plus one of his siblings lived with us for a while so that was annoying) is a welcome respite.

I dated someone for a year afterward and moving in together never crossed my mind.

Someday you may change your mind. Someday you might not. Don't lose sleep over it. Just take things as they come, and if you meet a guy, let things be the way they are going to be.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
OP, I understand completely. I was divorced last year and a few months ago got into a relationship not realizing that her intention was to move in with me. I couldn't allow it and she ended our relationship. It still hurts, but it was for the better. No law that says you have to cohabitate!
I will make that clear from the beginning. It should be in my on-line profile, for sure. I do state that I don't want to get married, but I have not elaborated on it.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:42 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,372,709 times
Not at all unusual, especially those coming out of long term marriages with older or adult children. I ended up remarrying, but I know others who don't have the desire for a live-in boyfriend or remarriage. My mother is one example.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:25 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
Better to be lonely than miserable.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:28 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
I'm under 30 and in a perfect relationship for me, I'd never cohabitate with my partner. It takes a lot of sacrifice to afford to live by yourself here on Washington DC. I've had that ability for over two years and not giving it up anytime soon.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:10 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,015,348 times
As long as you are honest about it up front, nothing wrong with it at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships