Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 01:10 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,606,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There are women that stay at home once their kids go off to school? For what purpose?
So there's someone home when the kids come home from school?

Most schools let out an hour or so before the normal professional work day ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 01:16 PM

52,188 posts, read 52,623,070 times
Quote:
There are women that stay at home once their kids go off to school? For what purpose?
You usually are pretty even keeled and I agree with a lot of your posts... but wouldn't you say that it's pretty much none of your business why someone would stay home?? I mean there are a million different family setups and you being a libby type I would think would have an open mind toward others lifestyles... not trying to be a A hole here, but open and progressive thinking should apply across the board.

Shouldn't it???

Old 10-22-2015, 01:20 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You usually are pretty even keeled and I agree with a lot of your posts... but wouldn't you say that it's pretty much none of your business why someone would stay home?? I mean there are a million different family setups and you being a libby type I would think would have an open mind toward others lifestyles... not trying to be a A hole here, but open and progressive thinking should apply across the board.

Shouldn't it???

I never said it was my business. I'm just curious as to the rationale behind it. Its something I haven't encountered. I'm intellectually curious, that should be reason enough.

I didn't criticize it, did I? No. I did not.

And most people where I live would hardly consider me a liberal. Generally I'm rather conservative for where I live and have lived.

But hey, continue your baseless attack. Free country.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:22 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,445,955 times
Quote:
Logistics mostly.

The first half the the day devoted to getting things done around the home that needed to be done and out of way immediately after you get everyone sent off and house hold duties taken care of it doesn't leave much time between them being gone and coming home and dinner needing to be put in people's mouths. If teens are involved it becomes balancing who need to be where or who is going where...it never really stops.

Some of my family are able to fit small part times in if the travel or job is close enough to allow it, but that's the rare exception and only applies to he girls who don't already do something for themsleves already to bring in a few bucks on the side that they hold all the responsibilities of.

Not many businesses like employing people who can only stay for a few hours a day, so not everyone has the option to take on something outside of the home freely.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I never said it was my business. I'm just curious as to the rationale behind it. Its something I haven't encountered. I'm intellectually curious, that should be reason enough.

I didn't criticize it, did I? No. I did not.

And most people where I live would hardly consider me a liberal. Generally I'm rather conservative for where I live and have lived.

But hey, continue your baseless attack. Free country.
LOL.... I put the grin face and said I wasn't trying to be an a hole.... I reread what you wrote and it I interpreted it as sort of a judgy attack, but if it was meant as a curious thing that makes sense... I get that....

I thought I put enough disclaimers with me agreeing with your posts etc etc.... but alas... I wasn't trying to attack you, was just merely noting what I thought was a contradiction in philosophies...

Old 10-22-2015, 01:26 PM

36,496 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Are you really trying to imply that I did not take care of my children or house? I had a supportive husband who cared for our kids when I took classes, because he understood that sometimes I needed a break. He also took care of the children when I volunteered at the library on Saturday morning. That's where I got my books, which I read while the children slept. My friends were capable of holding discussions while our children played.

No not at all. I didn't mean for it to sound that way. The women I know who are home with their kids are home with their kids or they are out taking their kids to the library or child related classes and activities when they are not home cleaning and cooking. They neither have anyone to care for their kids nor the time or money to take adult classes and if they volunteer it is generally for the school or church. Apparently not all SAHMs have the resources you do that's all I'm saying.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
LOL.... I put the grin face and said I wasn't trying to be an a hole.... I reread what you wrote and it I interpreted it as sort of a judgy attack, but if it was meant as a curious thing that makes sense... I get that....

I thought I put enough disclaimers with me agreeing with your posts etc etc.... but alas... I wasn't trying to attack you, was just merely noting what I thought was a contradiction in philosophies...

I'm still cracking up that you think I'm liberal, unless that was a joke too. My conservatism for where I live often gets me into hot water.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I'm still cracking up that you think I'm liberal, unless that was a joke too. My conservatism for where I live often gets me into hot water.
I've just read some of your posts and conservative never crossed my mind, more progressive... not an insult either way, just an observation, course I'm not studying your posts.....

I probably come off as a conservative, but I've got views that would make a conservative pass out... legalize drugs, gaming, prostitution, end the drug war.... etc etc etc....

Social liberal, fiscal conservative.

Meaning, do what you like as long as no one is getting hurt..... just keep your mitts off of my wallet...

Not sure where that puts me on the map... but there it is....

Old 10-22-2015, 01:30 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,237,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
I could/would never be a housewife.

I need constant intellectual stimulation to remain sane. If not than ,then I at least need the daily interaction with my coworkers and my different patients in the emergency room.

I couldn't mentally take it..staying at home, every day, cleaning, washing, paying bills, sorting through xyz, running errands (which, honestly, except during bill payment time, aren't all that pressing/taxing), taking care of children 100% of the time, all day, every day, with no true outlet except maybe friends here and there, or another fellow mom who doesn't work. No thanks.
Yep, I'm an intellectual too, but I found

1. learning how to pacify a baby
2. learning how to pacify and educate a toddler
3. learning how to model good behavior
4. growing another entire human being from womb to school
5 answering INNUMERABLE questions from the time they could talk
6 scheduling, chaffuering, budgeting
7 managing the above when you've been up with a screaming baby all night

All quite intellectually stimulating, for most if not all of my kids young years, I literally Never Stopped to think "gee I'm bored" because I never was! Motherhood was FASCINATING for me!

Its when the child first separates as a human being that the Boredom sets in. Around school age when they start telling you They Can and Will Do It Themselves Thanks.

But the first years, of growing and molding and caring for an infant? Harder work than I've ever done (and trust me I'm a worker) also the most exciting, interesting, stimulating, joyful, sheerly wonderful task I've ever undertaken and I wouldn't have skipped a minute of any of it.

The happiest most fulfilled time of my life.

And may I point out that you don't get tea breaks or to knock off entirely at 5pm. Add in a spouse to care for, and right there is a Huge Workload most of us do with love and joy.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I've just read some of your posts and conservative never crossed my mind, more progressive... not an insult either way, just an observation, course I'm not studying your posts.....

It's all relative. For instance, I'm one of few people that think Bernie would be a horrible President and I get slammed for it. I agree with his principles, I even campaigned for him for a bit when I lived in VT, but his rigidity and idealism and unwaveringness on issues makes him a poor person to lead, IMO. It would be another Carter type situation (great ex President, horrible President).

I would say I'm fiscally conservative, but I don't, because most so called fiscal conservatives are pro welfare for corporations, and pro privatizing profits and socializing risks. Anyway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships