Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 09:31 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
No, you just don't talk shop with them. I also avoid talking shop with other engineers. I hope you have other things to talk about to women or other men besides your work. Otherwise you will quickly find yourself surrounded by very bored people, even those who understand you.
^^^^^This.

You never have to appear less educated or intelligent, but a wise person know not to be focused solely on one topic. Whether it's a job or a hobby, you have to engage with others and not repel them with monologues on topics only of interest to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 09:36 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,343,502 times
Engineers, doctors, lawyers, it doesn't matter...

I don't care what your profession or advanced schooling. I don't think it feasible to talk about it on a date! You're a human being first. Profession notwithstanding.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:58 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
You keep pretending as long as the other benifits of the relationship continue to compell you to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
As a woman who likes intelligent men, I would caution you against listening to that. I enjoy hearing about technical things that I otherwise never would have known about. I have a friend who is interested in bioprocess engineering, and I could listen to him for hours.

How do you expect to have a relationship with someone if you are constantly pretending to be "dumber" than you are?

Old 10-23-2015, 01:14 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Hopefully if your an engineer you can do far more than just plug numbers into a software package. Engineers I know can build and program their own devices or write their own code, derive their own equations etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenorSax83 View Post
I don't think it's about "dumbing" yourself down OP. Most women, hell most people, aren't engineers or scientists. You need to be able to relate to them regardless of their "level". I mean just because a person can't plug mathematical formulas into Autocad programs doesn't mean they can't relate to you in some other area.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:07 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
No, but I do draw upon some of my other traits and interests more heavily. It may take a little practice to do so.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:26 AM

150 posts, read 172,132 times
If you define yourself in terms of your profession/career, you have a whole nother set of problems to overcome before you're even ready to meet women...

Old 10-23-2015, 08:18 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I'm an engineer.

I've been dating my G/F for well over a year now and haven't had to dumb down my intelligence at all to her. I try and avoid talking shop with her, but sometimes she wants to know a bit about what i'm working on. But for the most part our conversations are usually about daily life. Sports, fave restaurants, pop culture, music etc etc. She doesn't want to talk about Arduino programming or my latest drone build.

When dating, I found that being an engineer was a plus with many women I dated, however I still had to make sure I didn't have the personality of a door knob. I have a pretty well-rounded personality so it really wasn't much of an issue with me. In fact, I always get the "wow, I wouldn't think you were an engineer" comment on a lot of the first dates I went on.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 10-23-2015 at 08:29 AM..

Old 10-23-2015, 08:24 AM

52,257 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm an engineer.

I've been dating my G/F for well over a year now and haven't had to dumb down my intelligence at all to her. I try and avoid talking shop with her, but sometimes she wants to know a bit about what i'm working on. But for the most part our conversations are usually about daily life. Sports, fave restaurants, pop culture, music etc etc. She doesn't want to talk about Arduino programming or my latest drone build.

When dating, I found that being an engineer was a plus with many women I dated, however I still had to make sure I didn't have the personality of a door knob. I have a pretty well-rounded personality so it really wasn't much of an issue with me. In fact, I always get the "wow, I wouldn't think you were an engineer" comment on a lot of the first dates I went on.
Exactly... the stereotypes exist for a reason, but not all smart engineer types are social dumbasses... I sort of resent it a bit.. but whatever.....

Old 10-23-2015, 08:32 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Exactly... the stereotypes exist for a reason, but not all smart engineer types are social dumbasses... I sort of resent it a bit.. but whatever.....

I do too. I've been asked if I go to Star Wars conventions before.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:41 AM

52,257 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I do too. I've been asked if I go to Star Wars conventions before.
Star Wars convention, civil war reenactments, and things of that ilk are just goober/geek stuff.. but whatever floats people's boats... LOL.....

I had a coworker that used to take off 3 or 4 days and do those festivals where you dress up in 15th century garb... I forget what it's called... but he was a big guy with long hair and he'd be some kind of guard with swords and armor and the like.... Damn I wished I could remember the name of it...

But he'd geek out hard at work talking about it and I'd have to keep a straight face and not get judgey about it... LOL.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships