Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 02:25 PM

311 posts, read 292,630 times

Advertisements

This question is for the MALE scientists and engineers out there:
Do you find that you have to dumb yourself down in order for women to find you attractive and "fun"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 02:30 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,661 times
You shouldn't have to dumb yourself down to get a quality women. Don't you like women who are your intellectual equal?

Old 10-22-2015, 02:35 PM

709 posts, read 766,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboi View Post
This question is for the MALE scientists and engineers out there:
Do you find that you have to dumb yourself down in order for women to find you attractive and "fun"?
How would you go about dumbing yourself down? Drink paint thinner?

Old 10-22-2015, 02:38 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
No... just don't drone on a bout technical stuff, unless she asks... otherwise those big brained engineer types ought to be able "to solve the problem" of being able to converse and keep things at a level everyone is comfortable with.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:46 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
Most of the people I work with on a daily basis in these fields are pretty down to earth "normal" people When interacting and socializing with others.

They just happen to be esspaically proficient or interested in certain things.

The only ones who feel they need to "dumb down" things for others are the ones with inflated egos or already have other personality ticks that make interactions. With others difficult for themselves.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:47 PM

311 posts, read 292,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
No... just don't drone on a bout technical stuff, unless she asks... otherwise those big brained engineer types ought to be able "to solve the problem" of being able to converse and keep things at a level everyone is comfortable with.
Are you an engineer, sir?

Old 10-22-2015, 02:52 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboi View Post
Are you an engineer, sir?
As a woman who likes intelligent men, I would caution you against listening to that. I enjoy hearing about technical things that I otherwise never would have known about. I have a friend who is interested in bioprocess engineering, and I could listen to him for hours.

How do you expect to have a relationship with someone if you are constantly pretending to be "dumber" than you are?

Old 10-22-2015, 03:05 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
As a woman who likes intelligent men, I would caution you against listening to that. I enjoy hearing about technical things that I otherwise never would have known about. I have a friend who is interested in bioprocess engineering, and I could listen to him for hours.

How do you expect to have a relationship with someone if you are constantly pretending to be "dumber" than you are?
He did say, unless she asks

Old 10-22-2015, 03:05 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
I've been married to an Engineer and Mensa member for 40 years and our son is PhD Physicist university professor.

Husband was about to give up dating until he met me. He was sick of women he could not have intelligent conversations with. He was divorced 4 years and after a period of "living it up" vowed not to waste his time just for sex-which has always been easy for attractive people. He determined if he couldn't be himself what was the point of even getting to know a woman?

I HAD decided not to date any more cause I found men seemed to be intimidated by the fact I had MBA and fast track career. We met and married at just the right time. Neither one of us had to dumb ourselves down. I don't think either one of us could have pulled it off anyway and what would we have accomplished anyway.

Our son is 34, single. The longest relationship he ever had was 8 years with a woman who was getting her PhD in astrophysics. They had a very loving relationship and I was privy to many of their conversations. The only reason they broke up was because she really wanted to get married as soon as her post doc was over and he felt she was giving him an ultimatum.

He has not found the same level of attraction since they broke up. He likes educated women but finding somebody with similar interests has been difficult. He says he has learned to watch very carefully how he talks and what he talks about because most people -not just women- seem to get glassy eyed when he starts talking physics. I don't know if that is what you would call dumbing himself down but that is what is working for him now.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:07 PM

880 posts, read 1,251,390 times
No, you just don't talk shop with them. I also avoid talking shop with other engineers. I hope you have other things to talk about to women or other men besides your work. Otherwise you will quickly find yourself surrounded by very bored people, even those who understand you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships