Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 06:42 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Can you sell both your houses and either build onto his house or build a brand-new one? If neither of you wants to move, you sound stuck.
I can sell both my houses. Actually I am hoping to sell one in the spring. My kids would like to keep the one we are in now, but I bought it knowing that it could be flipped for a profit.

BF yesterday did tell me all of his debts and said eventually I would end up on his farm with him. He did not go into details and I did not ask.

His house is not a candidate for an addition. I am not sure about investing my money to build a house on someone else's property. If something happened, the money would be gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 07:27 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I can sell both my houses. Actually I am hoping to sell one in the spring. My kids would like to keep the one we are in now, but I bought it knowing that it could be flipped for a profit.

BF yesterday did tell me all of his debts and said eventually I would end up on his farm with him. He did not go into details and I did not ask.

His house is not a candidate for an addition. I am not sure about investing my money to build a house on someone else's property. If something happened, the money would be gone.
Welcome to marriage. If you want your money to stay yours and he wants his money to stay his, maybe living separately is best.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:41 AM

769 posts, read 829,945 times
You mentioned in your reply to me that there are 2 houses on his property, elaborate on this, as you did not mention that anywhere else...

Why can't one of them be demolished, or the kids live in it. I'm sure they would love that... farmhouse freak down!

Old 10-26-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Welcome to marriage. If you want your money to stay yours and he wants his money to stay his, maybe living separately is best.
It is not just a his money and my money issue. He has a very large farm that has been in his family for centuries. His children will one day inherit this farm. If I pay to build a house on the property, his children will one day inherit the house and my children would not get anything.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
You mentioned in your reply to me that there are 2 houses on his property, elaborate on this, as you did not mention that anywhere else...

Why can't one of them be demolished, or the kids live in it. I'm sure they would love that... farmhouse freak down!
Other family members live in the original farm house. His plan is to buy them out eventually. His house is 16 years old, and not even completely paid for, so It is not something he will tear down.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Other family members live in the original farm house. His plan is to buy them out eventually. His house is 16 years old, and not even completely paid for, so It is not something he will tear down.
So it's not uncommon for zoning laws to limit you to 2 houses on a given piece of property. That's pretty standard.

You can ususally apply for what's called a "zoning variance" which will allow it. It's a formal process.

Also, what's with the other family members living in the other house, what's the long term plan for those people?

Old 10-26-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
So it's not uncommon for zoning laws to limit you to 2 houses on a given piece of property. That's pretty standard.

You can ususally apply for what's called a "zoning variance" which will allow it. It's a formal process.

Also, what's with the other family members living in the other house, what's the long term plan for those people?
No idea, at this point it is not my business to know. I do think they just aggravate him. He has mentioned previously that one day his boys will live in the farmhouse. So I guess his kids will inherit the existing houses for when they have families? Seems reasonable.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:16 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
I doubt you will need to consider these options. I think this relationship will self-destruct far before this is an issue.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
I doubt you will need to consider these options. I think this relationship will self-destruct far before this is an issue.
Yeah, I found it pretty weird that all this was running through her head after only 2.5 months...

Old 10-26-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
We shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships