Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 07:49 AM

971 posts, read 689,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicks45 View Post
She owes $55K; not exactly a small amount. As for what she does, she works in a small office and actually makes somewhat decent money, of course it's all unreported. Sometimes she'll also do babysitting.

As for what I do, I am an asst manager at a subway, hardly glorious. But at least I do report my income and pay taxes. To be fair while she will spend a good portion of what she earns on things from clothes to shoes she does help a lot with bills and buying stuff for our daughters.
Dude, I hope for 55k she got an RN because anywhere around here (near Gettysburg PA) you can get a thru LPN school for 13K in a year. If that was for LPN, she got ripped. If she is an RN, that is a terrible waste of her time and money and you need to figure a way to get her into the work.

She doesn't have to work at a Hospital she could work in a Nursing Home, Doctors Office or other place, there are many options of less stress. My daughter is a nurse and has done everything for taking care of patients with feeding tubes in home, nursing to ER Nurse in the local Hospital. There is some serious money to be made. An ER nurse STARTS at $30hr here.

As far as cash under the table, as long as everyone keeps their mouths shut, it is a good deal short term. Key here is "short term" as she is not paying into Social Security, therefore not building SS retirement income. Good luck to you. Sounds like she has issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 08:01 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
She doesnt sound depressed, she just sounds entitled.So now she doesnt want to be a nurse, thats fine. (I dont blame her). But she still has loans that will have to be paid back. Did she sign for them herself? Did she have a co-signer? Did she sign these loans before you were married?

People think working under the table is such a great deal, but in the long run it will really hurt, with no record of ever working. Her employer may get caught and end up 1099 her, which gets the IRS involved big time. If she doesnt start making correct decisions for her financial future now, she will end up in more trouble and debt than she will ever get out of. The IRS has a Whistleblower program. All it takes is for her employer to **** someone off, they involved the IRS, and then its a mess.

I dont know how involved you could end up, with her being married to you and illegally working. If the IRS gets involved, they could possibly attached your wages, tho Im not sure on that.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:14 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
You both need to grow up.

A job at Subway at 30??!!? Please!!! I partied through all my 20s and still held a decent job. You have mouths to feed, time to stop the partying and slacking and get a real job. Do Subway on the side.

Don't you have joint accounts?

You gotta sit that entitled princess down and tell her to give you all the paperwork for the loan and then you make a payment plan. No more excuses. You are the man of the house, put your big boy pants on and make things happen for Christs sake.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:21 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times
Why are you worried about your credit score? Are you planning on buying a house or a car soon? (Please, say no!)

Google The Dave Ramsey Show he's got a radio show across the country. Give him a listen.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:26 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Have you not applied for a forebearance based on her being unemployed and you two not making much money to suppprt a family?

There are ways to fix this problem.

If your wife's depression is severe, she needs professional help.
Yes, it's sounds like she is very depressed. Having twins can make that even more likely. Seek medical help.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:30 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Have a bit of a crisis here and don't know what to do. I am 30, my wife 27. We have been married for 3 years and have twin girls that are 1 1/2. Early last year my wife graduated from nursing school but right after decided it wasn't for her. She did make 3 payments on it but hasn't done any since and spent most of the time in a depressed state which was made even worse when she started getting calls from collections. I have many times tried talking to her but she just says she doesn't care and spends most time with our daughters at least till 4 months ago she got a job but one that pays under the table. I'm VERY concerned about this and I don't make much and after all our other bills I can't help with her loans and I am at a loss what to do, she acts like if she doesn't think about them they'll go away.

Her credit wasn't very good when she graduated due to bad purchases and buying more than she could afford but now it's in the toilet. Will I have to worry about being responsible for them? What can I do to help? Her "stick your head in the sand" attitude she has is just making everything worse.
She doesn't sound depressed, she sounds like a piece of work.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:43 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
She's dug you a hole and it sounds like she has no intentions of climbing out. You may have to get yourself out.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:45 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
I have been told I could very well be promoted to store manager shortly, which will help. I have also reduced and even cut out some superfluous things such as cable, not going out to eat near as much, etc. etc.

So THAT'S your life plan?

Old 10-28-2015, 08:47 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Early last year my wife graduated from nursing school but right after decided it wasn't for her.

she got a job but one that pays under the table.

Her credit wasn't very good
You married a scrub. Get out or get used to it.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
What a tough situation. I hope you two can figure a plan out soon. I know she is ignoring the creditors, but Sallie Mae can easily garnish your wages and empty your bank accounts. Messing with the Fed is no joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships