Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 12:16 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Germans spend money differently.

Expensive meals - no.
Rings - yes.

Why? Because you will still have the ring in 20 years while the meal is long forgotten. German logic

There is a reason it is the economic powerhouse of Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 12:18 PM

635 posts, read 753,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question2015 View Post
another nice guy rejected by an entitled princess...yawn lol
Yes a guy that wants to be your boyfriend on day 7, shows you engagement rings day 8, says I love you day 10 and the girl wants to say no to him and that makes her an entitled princess all because he doesn't want to do anything with her? Um ok. Actually, that "nice guy" is clearly smothering her.

All you guys making fun of me....your comments don't affect me at all. Apparently I had a huge affect on this guy and oh well, it didn't work out. But if you want to put others down behind your computer screens, go right ahead. I'm done arguing on this subject.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:18 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Germans spend money differently.

Expensive meals - no.
Rings - yes.

Why? Because you will still have the ring in 20 years while the meal is long forgotten. German logic
This is an interesting point. Americans enjoy dining out as a form of entertainment; trying different cuisines, comparing different chefs, the whole ambiance of the restaurant. Maybe this isn't so much of a thing in Germany. I bet it's different in France.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:20 PM

635 posts, read 753,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
BTW, why would you even entertain the idea of going and looking at engagement rings with him?
Last question I'm answering....when we were walking in the mall he asked me to go into the jewelery store and then ASKED the staff to show me their rings. I about died.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:22 PM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is an interesting point. Americans enjoy dining out as a form of entertainment; trying different cuisines, comparing different chefs, the whole ambiance of the restaurant. Maybe this isn't so much of a thing in Germany. I bet it's different in France.
Germans make more home cooked meals. Women are more likely to work part time / SAHM and fullfill the traditional gender role. The younger crowd is different, but my generation and up, you will have a hard time finding a man if you can't cook.

Even though the weather isn't the greatest there, they are outdoorsy. Every occasion they get, they go outside and get active. Entertainment is more like sports/events/doing something actively and not just sitting down and getting served or watch tv.

French people are the most culinary people in Europe, they have several courses and and take their time while preparing and eating food. Not sure if that means eating out or at home.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
Last question I'm answering....when we were walking in the mall he asked me to go into the jewelery store and then ASKED the staff to show me their rings. I about died.
yeah, that is very weird.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:27 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
Yes a guy that wants to be your boyfriend on day 7, shows you engagement rings day 8, says I love you day 10 and the girl wants to say no to him and that makes her an entitled princess all because he doesn't want to do anything with her? Um ok. Actually, that "nice guy" is clearly smothering her.

All you guys making fun of me....your comments don't affect me at all. Apparently I had a huge affect on this guy and oh well, it didn't work out. But if you want to put others down behind your computer screens, go right ahead. I'm done arguing on this subject.
To put things in perspective, the person you are responding to just trolls. He is all about guys always being perfect. He is just trolling.

As far as everyone else, I think they are just trying to provide you with some input so that you can develop some self-awareness. Most decent guys with healthy self-respect are not going to like your attitude of asking and then expecting them to pay (the norm actually is the person who asks pays- it is rude to ask someone out and then expect them to pay for the whole thing); nor will they be willing to spend a bunch of money on you before it's apparent that the two of you are compatible.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:28 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Germans make more home cooked meals. Women are more likely to work part time / SAHM and fullfill the traditional gender role. The younger crowd is different, but my generation and up, you will have a hard time finding a man if you can't cook.

Even though the weather isn't the greatest there, they are outdoorsy. Every occasion they get, they go outside and get active. Entertainment is more like sports/events/doing something actively and not just sitting down and getting served or watch tv.

French people are the most culinary people in Europe, they have several courses and and take their time while preparing and eating food. Not sure if that means eating out or at home.
I can see that. There are hiking/walking trails outside the cities, and the scenery in some areas is to die for! And it certainly provides plenty of opportunity for conversation, unlike the typical movie date in the US. I could definitely see walking dates, biking dates, museum or gallery-hopping dates there, free festivals, etc.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:29 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
To put things in perspective, the person you are responding to just trolls. He is all about guys always being perfect. He is just trolling.

As far as everyone else, I think they are just trying to provide you with some input so that you can develop some self-awareness. Most decent guys with healthy self-respect are not going to like your attitude of asking and then expecting them to pay (the norm actually is the person who asks pays- it is rude to ask someone out and then expect them to pay for the whole thing) nor will they be willing to spend a bunch of money on you before it's apparent that the two of you are compatible.

Exactly. Very rude.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:33 PM

You know, guys, it really is difficult to date in the US if you aren't born here.

I just learned right now that the person who asks pays.

So far I thought the man usually pays on the first date.

You almost need a manual to do it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships