Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 06:59 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatteredthunder View Post
Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.

Like I said, "a reasonable person" would conclude that a man who goes through all the screening processes that adoption entails would probably be more committed than the average married dude.

But I'm funny like that. I don't think all guys have the same probability of being jerks or cheating. I think their behavior is often a good indication of their character how they will act in the future.

I can see how some women have trouble picking decent guys because they don't know how to look for these kinds of behaviors or which ones are predictive of good guys.

Last edited by Just A Guy; 11-02-2015 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 08:25 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,398,974 times
Hey JustaGuy, what was wrong with your dad to make you turn out the way you did?

Old 11-03-2015, 08:36 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
Hey JustaGuy, what was wrong with your dad to make you turn out the way you did?
He doesn't seem to have quite as many opinions on that....

Old 11-03-2015, 12:37 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingLove View Post
I'm sorry but there's no way I could give birth to a child, a part of me, and voluntarily give him up for adoption to strangers. My son is my son and will stay with me.

He'll have to have contact with his dad...regardless of everything, he's his father.
Good for you!! I can't believe people are suggesting adoption or keeping the father from your son.
Crazy

Old 11-03-2015, 01:24 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Good for you!! I can't believe people are suggesting adoption or keeping the father from your son.
Crazy

Nothing is crazy about putting a kid up for adoption. My BIL adopted and they child got two very well educated, well adjusted, professional parents that can love and provide properly for my nephew when the birth parent was in a situation where they could not.

It was the ultimate loving gift to put that child up for adoption. Selfless love.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:29 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Crazy
I've seen silly things, I've seen weird things, but the bolded is probably one of the most asinine posts I've ever seen on this forum, This just topped a doozy I saw a few days ago.

Adoption can be the best thing in the world for an unplanned baby...There are tons and tons of very well established good people desperate for a baby.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:37 PM

Actually, that is not what the results of traditional adoption show. Adoptees occupy prisons and mental homes at a far higher rate than non adoptees. An unnaturally high rate, which is why closed adoption is falling out of practice. In Australia at least.

Also traditional adoption shows zero concern for the mother. Which is what folks here are showing when they heave out the "adopt the brat out" solution.

We have gone past this in our society, or I hope we have.

Open Adoption is wonderful. Closed Adoption as we know it is utterly inappropriate.

The Best Case for ANY child is to be raised by its natural parents.

If those parents cant cope the best course of action is NOT family estrangement (FFS!) but supporting said family until they can make it on their own again.

Talk about putting out a fire with gasoline!

Old 11-03-2015, 01:37 PM

579 posts, read 431,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've seen silly things, I've seen weird things, but the bolded is probably one of the most asinine posts I've ever seen on this forum, This just topped a doozy I saw a few days ago.
With as many posts as you've read, I find that difficult to believe. I'm sure I've only read a fraction that you have, and I've seen worse.

The OP came here expressing disappointment at the way things turned out, maybe wanting support or commiseration*, and she got bombarded with posts telling her 1) how she screwed up, 2) how she should give up her baby, and 3) that she's selfish for not doing so. As if she's not feeling badly enough already.

* - some of which she got as well.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:42 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:
Crazy
I know. Imagine trying to prevent this kid from becoming a lying, cheating, sexist womanizer like the sperm donor dad and, instead, placing him in a stable family environment or at least trying to keep the dad out of his life. Crazy for sure.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:45 PM

Its hilaire to assume changing a childs environment also changes their DNA.

If they come from lying hillbillies, guess what'll come out of their mouth age 14?

A long string of lies followed by a request for some moonshine!

Its 50/50 odds, literally, on nature vs nurture.

Adoptive parents have, however a 100% chance of adopting the DNA of their baby's natural parents, who may or may not be upright citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships