Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 10:47 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's just me and I may be a bit jaded or fearful of money when it comes to women, but after my last relationship experience, which I posted about before on here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...s-dinners.html

I was wondering what your thoughts on the issue were in case the relationship went sour? In my experience I have quite a bit more money than the average woman my age it seems. Mostly I saved up a lot and worked a over the last decade, to buy a house and make movies with since I am an aspiring filmmaker trying to break into the business, which costs money.

But even when I mention the word pre-nup to both my women and men friends, they act like it's a sin to ask that of your spouse, or if you do, it means you don't really love her! They said they would never sign one, nor never ask, and I am out of line for thinking that way.

But what do you think? Is it fair to ask in circumstances, just in case something goes sour, and yet at the same time, it can still be fair of your partner, especially if you happen to have a lot more money than him/her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 10:50 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,093 times
I have 0 interest in ever getting married. However, if the impossible happened & I ever did, I would INSIST on a pre-nup. It's just common sense - you need to protect yourself financially so you don't get screwed. I think both women & men need to have this.

And, anyone that says you're over-reacting regarding this is both a tool & a moron.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:50 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
You are stingy. That's the problem. It will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:51 PM

273 posts, read 240,847 times
When I was younger I probably would have been offended as I had a more idealistic view of life and love. Now...I don't see it as a big deal and honestly I think it is a good idea. To me its just a plan, if needed, to avoid later conflict.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:52 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
You are stingy. That's the problem. It will haunt you for the rest of your life.
I'd rather be stingy & doing relatively well financially, than living in a cardboard box underneath a bridge because an ex-wife screwed me out of my life's savings!

Old 11-02-2015, 10:58 PM

Okay thanks. How am I stingy exactly though? What do you mean exactly? My friends are younger than me though and I admit I somehow wound up in a younger generation circle, so that could be why my opinion is different, or that might not have anything to do with it.

I have an older friend who's parents learned the hard way he said and he agrees with me. But how am I stingy exactly?

Old 11-02-2015, 11:03 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,482,986 times
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but I don't see the point of beginning a marriage thinking about its possible end.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:05 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Being financially smart and cunning, I know how to protect my assets under any circumstance, so I don't need a prenup.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:18 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post

But even when I mention the word pre-nup to both my women and men friends, they act like it's a sin to ask that of your spouse, or if you do, it means you don't really love her! They said they would never sign one, nor never ask, and I am out of line for thinking that way.

But what do you think? Is it fair to ask in circumstances, just in case something goes sour, and yet at the same time, it can still be fair of your partner, especially if you happen to have a lot more money than him/her?
How old are your friends?

Pren-ups itself isn't really a big deal, but I've heard of some terms that were ridiculous-- and definitely worthy of such reactions. I would support it and be pragmatic about it (like having a lawyer check it up before signing).

Old 11-02-2015, 11:32 PM

They are in their mid 20s and I am 31, but even my ex, who I almost got married to before problems started was 38 and she was appalled literally, when I asked her, before it ended. Is wanting to keep 140k of my own money for a down payment on a house and my filmmaking career ridiculous, especially if I saved it up for that purpose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships