Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 04:10 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
So there has been some question as to whether men care as much that a woman be successful as a man or not. So here is my question:

Say you met a truly gorgeous smart, intelligent funny woman, but she worked, say, at McDonald's flipping burgers and she had absolutely no desire to ever get anything better, would you stay or go?
Depends if she is 20 or 30 or 40. Once one amassed assets they look for similarities as so to keep their standard of living and not lose such assets.

A 20yo guy has no assets so why would he care?

A 30yo guy has amassed enough to not be stupid with selection.

A 40yo guy is wise enough to get it in writing.

All said, I've never met any intelligent women beyond the age of say 25 flipping burgers at McD's. Perceived intelligence is all relative to personal opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 05:45 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,525 times
It all depends on the person.

If I was a guy making 50k a year with no real future or drive to be very successful, it would absolutely be important as the extra income would be important to provide well.

Personally, I have a successful enough career and make enough money I prefer that my fiancé doesn't work (I'm 27 and she's 22)

I make more than enough and I prefer to cover all of our expenses while she does virtually everything at home. Makes breakfast every AM, packs my lunches (she grills me NY strips for lunch 3 days a week) all the laundry, etc. etc. she is a machine.

We live very very well and still save roughly 50% of our income. When she does work she makes a fraction of what I do so I prefer the support so I can work harder and make more.

Having a significant other that doesn't work is amazing, and will be even nicer when we have kids, because there will be no daycare costs or "loss of her income" to stay at home.

She does have 0 debt and drives a cheaper car, which does help a lot as well. She is also incredibly low maintenance and thrifty, always looking for ways to save money.

As I said, it's not for everyone, but for me, it's awesome.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:47 PM

231 posts, read 201,854 times
I wouldn't care if she worked a low end job.

IF she's amazing and you have a higher status in society then by all means, take care of her.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:03 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
It all depends on the person.

If I was a guy making 50k a year with no real future or drive to be very successful, it would absolutely be important as the extra income would be important to provide well.

Personally, I have a successful enough career and make enough money I prefer that my fiancé doesn't work (I'm 27 and she's 22)

I make more than enough and I prefer to cover all of our expenses while she does virtually everything at home. Makes breakfast every AM, packs my lunches (she grills me NY strips for lunch 3 days a week) all the laundry, etc. etc. she is a machine.

We live very very well and still save roughly 50% of our income. When she does work she makes a fraction of what I do so I prefer the support so I can work harder and make more.

Having a significant other that doesn't work is amazing, and will be even nicer when we have kids, because there will be no daycare costs or "loss of her income" to stay at home.

She does have 0 debt and drives a cheaper car, which does help a lot as well. She is also incredibly low maintenance and thrifty, always looking for ways to save money.

As I said, it's not for everyone, but for me, it's awesome.
Meh... 50k is lunch money......

Old 11-08-2015, 07:10 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Meh... 50k is lunch money......
Exactly why they'd be more apt to find a working spouse

Old 11-08-2015, 07:43 PM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Since she's gorgeous, smart, and funny I would say about 95 percent of single men would snag her up in a heartbeat if they had the chance.

Now if the situation was reversed no matter how great the guy was most women would never give him a chance in a million years. Despite all of his other positive qualities.

Money is the main thing most women care about it seems once you get past age 30 anyway. They do not look for true love or true romance. Lots of great women in their 20's that look for the right things however, sadly, they will be snagged up before their 30th birthday and taken off the market.
I think you're overstating it. Money is a decision influencer, not the be-all/end-all. Most unattached 30-something women will at least take a hard look at an affluent guy with a strong career track. If the guy is defective, he's going to get flushed no matter what he has for a bank balance. We're not that many generations removed from arranged marriages where marriage was viewed mostly as an economic union. Parents of means weren't going to push their daughter off on a guy who was going to be low income. You did your best to place your children with their socioeconomic equals.

I guess I'm older and wiser. I'd pass on the cute little burger flipper. I prefer relationships with women who are my intellectual equal. After a few weeks in the sack, I'd be really bored with Miss Burger. I'm quite affluent so I don't pay much attention to income stream but I need somebody who has some neurons firing and is engaged with their life.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:47 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times
Quote:
So there has been some question as to whether men care as much that a woman be successful as a man or not. So here is my question:

Say you met a truly gorgeous smart, intelligent funny woman, but she worked, say, at McDonald's flipping burgers and she had absolutely no desire to ever get anything better, would you stay or go?
We generally don't. Just bring me some grub once in a while, okay?

Hell, I'd date a movie manager chick if she'd bump me off free tickets once in a while.

Don't forget, guys don't value in women what women value in men. Women with cars, money and houses don't matter to most of us. I think this was demonstrate recently by a poster who pointed out a woman who couldn't find a high roller type of guy even though she had all of that. Waste of time on her part.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:38 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,589,470 times
Quote:

Men don't care what you do for a living, but that being said, your hypothetical situation is silly and unrealistic. Gorgeous women don't flip burgers at McD's as a general rule. Your average "attractive woman" will have plenty of far more appealing economic options at her feet and would rarely be seen resorting to low wage fast food work. If you think I'm implying a woman's sexuality has monetary value, you're right, I am. Because that's the truth.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:03 AM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Exactly why they'd be more apt to find a working spouse
Double that 50k and we can talk......

Old 11-09-2015, 01:27 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Didn't we just have a thread like this recently? Seems like a lot of job snobs out there. Shooting down a potential mate just because they don't have the social status that all of the CEOs here on CD have seems pretty shallow. It's like somehow if a person has a menial, blue collar job that they're somehow less of a person than say the douchebag exec at Taco Bell who ***** slapped the Uber driver the other day. Job status doesn't buy you class or character.

I agree with this. There are tons of people on CD that seem to be really high status folks (according to them) and there is a lot of snobbery that goes with that. The ability to kiss up, socially manipulate people and climb the career ladder does not make you a better person. Often the opposite is true. These type A folks often are very tough to live with. The only thing they do well is earn money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships