Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 06:07 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times

Advertisements

Personally I believe that something as important as whether or not you want children is and should be discussed. You don't want to be forced to accept a lifestyle you don't want, and neither should a potential partner. Currently, I have a stepson, and he is mine in all but biology. Sometime in the future my husband and I plan to have another child, and I would be heartbroken if he did not want one as much as I do. It would have kept me from marrying him. Being honest and upfront about big issues is important. Of course, that does not mean you won't fall in love with a woman with children or one who wants children, and your feelings could change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 06:14 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
True. Many of us are waiting for that day to arrive in the OP's life. But he's right that in order for things to work out long term, both people need to be on the same page on this issue. That's just basic.
He could very well meet a woman who's adamant about not having kids. They both fall madly in love, relationship blossoms and gets stronger over the years (everything is puppies and rainbows) then one day...the woman suddenly wants a kid/s (because people change) what then?

Old 11-05-2015, 06:15 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
He could very well meet a woman who's adamant about not having kids. They both fall madly in love, relationship blossoms and gets stronger over the years (everything is puppies and rainbows) then one day...the woman suddenly wants a kid/s (because people change) what then?
I'd drop her like Ted Ginn Jr drops catchable balls. Dead serious.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:17 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'd drop her like Ted Ginn Jr drops catchable balls. Dead serious.
Wow, Lol Just like that...gtfo!

Old 11-05-2015, 06:17 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Logic is INSANELY important.
Wanting vs not wanting kids is a no-brainer and will likely never result in a good outcome.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:23 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
That's a tough one. It happened to my brother. He caved, they had 2 kids, and now he can't stop bragging about them. I think that if everything were seriously puppies and rainbows, and the OP were very contented, and there was an "oops" (just for example), his heart might melt when the baby arrived. But the OP has good reasons for feeling the way he does, so we should respect that. And there are women out there who genuinely don't want kids. All he has to do is find one who's compatible with him.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:23 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Logic is INSANELY important.
Wanting vs not wanting kids is a no-brainer and will likely never result in a good outcome.
Yeah, the kid question is obviously something that can't really be compromised on, but the OP's issue is really something different. He seems to want to be patted on the back for putting up walls that ensure that he never has to be vulnerable or have any bad or difficult feelings, because he pushes people away before they can get close. That's not logic, nor is it something to be proud of.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:27 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
You're also going to find it much harder to find someone who operates in this manner.
That's not necessarily a bad thing, but let's say it is. It would still be better than being locked in an unhappy relationship that requires you to compromise your fundamental beliefs to hold the peace.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:37 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yeah, the kid question is obviously something that can't really be compromised on, but the OP's issue is really something different. He seems to want to be patted on the back for putting up walls that ensure that he never has to be vulnerable or have any bad or difficult feelings, because he pushes people away before they can get close. That's not logic, nor is it something to be proud of.
I'll make myself vulnerable for the right person. I just have super strict requirements for who is that right person.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:41 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'll make myself vulnerable for the right person. I just have super strict requirements for who is that right person.

And how many people have you met in your life that have fit these requirements that you've actually fallen in love with and that fell in love with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships