Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 12:57 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Everyone has at some point in his life done something inconsiderate or rude. Maybe it was at a date, maybe at work or in some other situation. All I am suggesting is that we do not judge people so harshly.
I agree, but the more I read the OP's post, it sounds more like SHE's the one who's not that into him. If that's the case, she's already made up her mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 01:04 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Like I said, that is why there are so many lonely people around. Everyone has this set of rules that he/she expects the other to strictly adhere to. One slip-up - and you're out.
A "slip-up" is accidentally having a piece of food stuck in your teeth during dinner.

Ranting for 20 straight minutes about "what he hates about really religious people" during their FIRST PHONE CALL is a red flag.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:05 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
A "slip-up" is accidentally having a piece of food stuck in your teeth during dinner.

Ranting for 20 straight minutes about "what he hates about really religious people" during their FIRST PHONE CALL is a red flag.
It's not even an appropriate subject matter.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-07-2015, 02:14 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
All of this "give him one more chance, maybe he had a bad day..." suggestions sound like an excerpt from "He's Just Not That Into You."

People need to learn to listen to their instincts.

Things were going fairly well, but suddenly he reveals this side of himself that is VERY unattractive to the OP. SO WHY waste one hour sitting with him in person if a phone call does the trick???

No need to fabricate excuses about WHY he possibly did something that, in most society, is rude at the least and completely inconsiderate at best. It was rude and obnoxious and yes, a big fat red flag the OP should heed.
I agree with this.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:14 PM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Rambling on for 20 minutes about anything is a red flag for me, lol

Old 11-07-2015, 05:16 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Yes it is a huge red flag. I'm betting the people telling you to ignore that have issues with boundaries in their lives

Old 11-08-2015, 03:18 AM

1,248 posts, read 823,975 times
No. But I always thought dating was not about putting up an extra-high extra-thick set of walls all around you, but about finding a person you would be willing to allow through those walls.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:20 AM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susman View Post
What is the big deal. You just barely met the guy. So he stated his opinions to you on religion.

Was what he said racist, discriminatory, or hateful?

1. If so and you are not in agreement with this then drop him.

or

2. If not then he is just being indifferent to religious people and telling you that he doesn't want to have a relationship with someone who is overly religious.

He doesn't want to waste his or your time if you both didn't share this very important topic in all relationships. I must add that you don't normally talk about things of this subject this early in getting to know someone new. But you should be actually grateful because if you happened to be religious you would have dropped him and he would have dropped you. Leaving at the very beginning is much easier than 5 years down the road when time invested and feelings play a role.

You both seem to have this in common so go out on a date with him and talk about something else. If it doesn't workout after the date then go ahead and drop him.

Don't believe all the other crap people will say on here. Most, but not all of them can't maintain their own relationships if they even have one.

LOL This poster has some good points. And to be honest with you OP, I don't care for overly religious people either. They are my pet peeve, and I'm not very fond of organized religion. I feel it is rampant with hypocrites and the most judgemental people on the face of the earth. It's like a way to dislike and judge others under the guise of being 'religious'. If you gave me a chance and asked my opinion, I could probably go an at least a 10 minute rant about religion.

Should you be afraid of me? Why? I believe that everyone is equal. Black, white, P. Rican, etc. I feel people should be free to live their lives as long as they are not hurting anyone. I don't feel I'm better than anyone else. I don't think people need to agree with me on every topic in order for me to be friends with them. I don't hate gay people. I'm not bat sh*t crazy. I don't have bodies in the basement. Etc...etc...etc. I just have some issues with organized religion. However, I don't care if others are religious as long as they don't shove their views down my throat. So does this makes me unworthy of dating? Well, it should only if the other person has the opposite feelings on religion. And I (perhaps like this guy you met) have these feelings because of what I have seen in this world and MY own experiences.

However, I may not have ranted so quickly about it, unless you guys were already on the subject of religion or something. (I haven't read all the posts yet). my last relationship, the guy was a bible thumper, and it was awful. So, im REALLY careful now to make sure I don't date any bible thumpers. Perhaps this guy is super careful and wants to weed those out too? Or he could be nuts. Who knows. LOL Anyway, If you are highly offended, then he succeeded in weeding you out, right? If he had met someone with MY views on religion, he would not have offended me at all. We could have ranted all day long about it. But if that's just not you, move on.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:21 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
No. But I always thought dating was not about putting up an extra-high extra-thick set of walls all around you, but about finding a person you would be willing to allow through those walls.
If you had a business, and you called someone who sent you a resume, and instead of using his time on the phone to give you a good impression and to ask questions about your company and see if you're a good fit, he instead goes on a 20-minute rant about how much he hates religious people.

Would you hire that guy? Would you have him in after that for an in-person interview or would you thank him for his time and hang up thinking "that guy's a fruit loop?"

No, dating is not applying for a job, but the standards IMO should certainly not be LOWER than that for a romantic partner. He showed a very ugly, angry side of himself during his chance to make a good impression...if that's his best self, his worse could be horrible. Why on earth should OP feel she owes him a meeting if her spidey senses are all saying "yuck"?

Old 11-12-2015, 10:47 AM

1,248 posts, read 823,975 times
It is absolutely not the same. When you hire someone, you only look at his job-related skills. If I am hiring a truck driver or an accountant, I don't care about his looks or his sense of humor, I only care that he can do his job well.

With dating it is everything. Looks - check, sense of humor - check, conversational skills - check, "emotional sensitivity" - check. Everything has to be perfect. And then you two go out on a date, and he does something... not perfect, like spending too much time in the bathroom or not bying the right number of flowers, or picking a wrong topic for conversation, and he is out.

I am not advocating lowering all standards, but I think both men and women would do well to take into account the other's humanity.

My fiance and I talked about everything - politics, religion, you name it - before we ever had a single date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships