Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 03:04 PM

8 posts, read 6,493 times

Advertisements

My wife has a good sense of humor in general but sometimes if I make a lighthearted joke she says that i'm being sexist or misogynist. I don't agree at all. She's being way oversensitive and sometimes I think she's just looking for an argument. Sometimes if I make a criticism or give my honest opinion about something that she said or did, she says the same thing. Apart from this we get on great but it bothers me that she has this strange fixation on people's comments and what she thinks they really mean. Occasionally she goes so far with it that it gets extremely tiresome.

So my question is, what would you define as misogynist?

Old 11-07-2015, 03:42 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamboll View Post
My wife has a good sense of humor in general but sometimes if I make a lighthearted joke she says that i'm being sexist or misogynist. I don't agree at all. She's being way oversensitive and sometimes I think she's just looking for an argument. Sometimes if I make a criticism or give my honest opinion about something that she said or did, she says the same thing. Apart from this we get on great but it bothers me that she has this strange fixation on people's comments and what she thinks they really mean. Occasionally she goes so far with it that it gets extremely tiresome.

I'm sure you know it has an actual definition.

Where to draw the line when telling jokes should be worked out between you and your wife.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:06 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamboll View Post

Well, I suppose I could give an opinion..IF you would spell out your lighted hearted comment you actually made she took offence over. It's defined ( misogynist) by many terms..chauvinistic, women-hater, sexist, or anti-feminist. But often what comes out of male's mouth is just plain rudeness ( depending on how it's said) then of course when and where it occurs.

How would like your wife to describe out new pants as showing of your big butt, eh? Or if she belittles YOU infroont of your friends, or make fun of you regarding less than penitrating person during intimacy? You see, it could work both ways IF you have sensitivities about something about you which is NOT perfect!

But then thought about quite differently...Men call women like that "Feminist "
but men can also act out similarly against another man...
Misandry - Psychology Wiki - Wikia

I guess my point is..this IS something you have to deal with yourself with your life..You have learned she is made to feel ridiculed..which often ends up getting such comments yu described..So learn from it..try to respect her "sensitivity"..since you apparently appreciate most of her attributes..and guess what..she has no doubt has avoided making hurtful commentary when answering your questions..that's simply call respectful..Figure out IF your relationship is based on totally honesty..or occasionally show some restraint..It goes along way. Calling out isn't beneficial in the long run in "Interpersonal Relationships" IMO

Best of luck figuring out that line not to be crossed.

Constructive criticism often turns out to be more beneficial in the end. Jokes, laughing at isn't cool!

Old 11-07-2015, 05:02 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
You are definitely not a misogynist. And next time she accuses you of being one - let her know this. Say something like, "No, I'm not a misogynist it's jut that you are irrational because women are irrational." Or perhaps, "No, I'm not a misogynist. Now quit thinking that. If I wanted a spouse who thinks, I would have married a man." Or maybe, "No, I'm not a misogynist. I'm the man of the house and what I say goes so quit calling me a misogynist."

Old 11-07-2015, 05:18 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,871 times
Can you give an example of a joke and and opinion that you might have that she considers to be misogynistic?

Old 11-07-2015, 05:26 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Call her a feminist.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:11 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,769,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Can you give an example of a joke and and opinion that you might have that she considers to be misogynistic?
^^^^^ I agree

OP:

Exactly how can anyone make an opinion regarding the reason for your post without any examples?

Old 11-07-2015, 06:17 PM

273 posts, read 240,847 times
Please give an example of your words and behavior please. I'm guessing they might be too damning?

Old 11-08-2015, 03:33 PM

10 posts, read 7,288 times
Example please...

Old 11-08-2015, 03:40 PM

252 posts, read 187,975 times
Today misogyny is a shaming term, primarily used on the internet, to label and discredit any male that does not walk the feminist line.

Disagreeing with a woman on a variety of topics can quickly lead to you being called a misogynist, whether or not you were actually being sexist or being "hateful of women."

The phrase is such a catch all I just ignore and move forward because if you address it, you've already lost the argument. And that's the point. To get you to address the accusation rather than the discussion at hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships